Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 169, 170, 171  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
This late model full Westy taunts me as I travel through the Prairie of the Dogs. Looks to be running, moves from time to time as I spy by.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is this in Prairie du Chein, Wisconsin?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

I went to get mulch today and a friend of my brother's spotted me! Shocked

bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

to earlybayjim, yes, that is Prairie of "the dogs" as Bobby called it. I had to look it up.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

GF went to tahoe and LA and saw these.

Auto Meister in El Segundo

And a pretty Orly Blue Syncro in Truckee.

Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

Silver 1990 Syncro Camper with for sale sign (didn't list a price). RMW bumpers, rear tire carrier, SA Grille, truck mirrors, rock sliders. Extensive rust on body, seams, windows, even the front RMW bumper. Seems like the perfect van if your into that sort of thing. Parked on street in Salt Lake City. I took photos but didn't want to embarass anyone.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

I think this collection in Idaho is growing.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

Cape Cod 4-27-24

Rear discs
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

Saw a couple on my way Downtown over the weekend.

A Syncro

& a Camper

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

MV 4-28-24

Rear discs
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

Wife and I just got back from a 4300 mile trip from Texas to Maine (Mount Desert Island and Acadia Nat. Park, across New Hampshire and Vermont (great Ben and Jerry's ice cream stop) and through the Adirondack Park in New York and back home) not in the Vanagon but still in a VW Golf Sportwagen TDI. Anyway, I kept my eyes pealed for any VWs that might pop up along the way. We drove interstate, lots of back roads and..... not a single Vanagon of any sort anywhere along the route. We did see 9 bugs, only 3 looked drivable and 2 Bay window buses, one a nice Westfalia, the other a rusting hulk. No pictures as I did all the driving and wife wasn't fast enough. Where were all you mid south, Virginia, Pennsylvania and New England people with your Vanagons? Are you still hiding from the salt? Anyway, it was a great trip and now I have been to all the 48 continuous states. Now for Alaska and Hawai'i! Hayden
2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI
Way too many previously owned to list!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

Only Vanagon I've seen recently that I could get pictures of , is this Westy that's sitting at a repair shop in Wilmette IL. Reported to be an '87,

2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
LarsHepping
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
Only Vanagon I've seen recently that I could get pictures of , is this Westy that's sitting at a repair shop in Wilmette IL. Reported to be an '87,
[img]

Looks to be in very nice shape from the outside. But the Wyoming plate in IL suggests a road trip gone wrong. Did you get the story behind it?
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

LarsHepping wrote:
Looks to be in very nice shape from the outside. But the Wyoming plate in IL suggests a road trip gone wrong. Did you get the story behind it?

I would agree with your 'trip gone wrong' assessment... Embarassed Smile
But no, I popped in for a couple of Pictures since it was one of those, HEY, that's a Vanagon!!!... wonder what it's doing there???, type things...

A friend later called the shop as he knows the owner of the Shop, it's for sale, $30,000. No mention of why it was there, or did something break down on the owner... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
He didn't bother to ask the 'pertinent' questions that Samba members would want to know.... Laughing Laughing Laughing d'oh! d'oh!
If anyone's game, it's at Wilmette Auto Repair. Wilmette IL, on Green Bay Rd
eugenev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

Good enough in a war zone. Not my photo

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

At the top Mt Mitchell, NC another Vanagon joined me!
DavenpoWE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

When I lived in Washington state, I saw about 2-3 a week. As I took my road trip to move to Virginia, I saw progressively less once we passed the Mississippi I saw about 0 sense them. This was in summer of 2023 I moved to Virginia
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

DavenpoWE wrote:
When I lived in Washington state, I saw about 2-3 a week. As I took my road trip to move to Virginia, I saw progressively less once we passed the Mississippi I saw about 0 sense them. This was in summer of 2023 I moved to Virginia
It's almost that bad here in Chicago. There is an Air Cooled Westy that I saw several times on the Northside of Chicago last year, haven't seen them yet this year. Assuan Brown. Sounded and looked good last year.
A few blocks away from our house, there used to be a Volvo swap-engined Vanagon Tin Top that a Dog Walking Service used. That was as close to a West Coast Vanagon scene as we ever got. With two running Tin Tops in such close proximity to each other.... Shocked
I think it got hit pretty hard in an accident, and I haven't seen it in a few years from when I saw it parked outside a Body Shop a few miles North of me.
So, we're kind of it in terms of running Vanagons around here. Holding up the 'breed' all by ourselves... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Embarassed Embarassed
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

Seen in the Fan District today, a few blocks from my old neighborhood.

TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

Flagstaff, AZ
Overland expo weekend, so lots of expensive overland rigs in town. Nothing as cool as vw's. This one was from Louisiana. I hung out for a bit but never ran into the owner. Mine is the tin top.

Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

I was out in my Bus yesterday afternoon in Surrey and saw two Vanagons heading south on 17 towards the border. One had a roof box and kayaks. Couldn't get a pic.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 169, 170, 171  Next
Jump to:
Page 170 of 171

Jump to: