Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Suspected dead cylinder
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:14 pm    Post subject: Suspected dead cylinder Reply with quote

1970 Ghia, 1600 single port.

I've been getting popping in the exhaust, and at idle the whole engine shakes bad. Can't find any exhaust leaks. I've replaced the plugs, wires, dist cap, rotor, points, condensor.
Compression numbers are all good 125-140 all 4 cylinders.

There's not many miles on these new plugs, but I'm guessing that #4 is not sparking?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspected dead cylinder Reply with quote

You did find a clue but I think you are interpreting it wrong.
If #4 was not firing then how did it get carbon on it? Carbon is basically a result of burning.

Plugs 1 and 3 are too clean, like they aren't firing a lot of the time, which, on a Singleport might be normal depending how you drove it, or rather, wasn't driving it much....... but #2 should match #4
So honestly if I had to guess just from what we have here, I'd have to go with vac leak on the 1/2 side, maybe that would explain it.
Tho, more testing needed really.

Do a power balance test. Short out one plug wire at a time and see how much the rpm drops.

Check for vac leaks.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Suspected dead cylinder Reply with quote

Oh..for petesakes. Install them plugs back on. Fire the motor and see which exhaust pipes are cold = them be your dead cylinders.

If your hand gets cooked, that be the HOT one. Laughing

Run the motor and if you do find dead cylinders, figure out how. Plug wires bad? Coil bad? Points bad? Check your fuel source -

You already confirmed it is broken -w/ them good compressions.

Also -check your timing. Start it at ZERO degrees. Run the motor until HOT or operating temp. Then re-time to proper specs. Carb motors ~ 7 degrees BTDC. And all advance on timing to ~ 28 -32 degrees...by 2500 RPM.

Enjoy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Don Jones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Suspected dead cylinder Reply with quote

Get a temp gun (Amazon has them) and shoot the exhaust pipes and save from getting burned. You'll find which cylinder is the problem easily. A cheap valuable tool all acvw owners should have.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspected dead cylinder Reply with quote

I did not mean to render his hand useless and make his girlfriend unhappy. But I think the point is well understood. Laughing
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspected dead cylinder Reply with quote

modok wrote:
So honestly if I had to guess just from what we have here, I'd have to go with vac leak on the 1/2 side, maybe that would explain it.

You may be on to something. I pulled the intake off and the nuts were not tight at all. The 1/2 side crush ring was not entirely crushed also.

The carb is getting a rebuild at volksbitz so when it gets back we'll see if that was it and go from there.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Suspected dead cylinder Reply with quote

It wouldn't happen to be a repro manifold would it? A friend has one on his single port... we had a hell of a time getting it to fit properly. It needed a little... adjustment. Out of the box it wouldn't seal for shit at the heads
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspected dead cylinder Reply with quote

No it's original. I recently resealed the exhaust and maybe I jostled the intake when trying to bolt the heat risers on.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspected dead cylinder Reply with quote

Possible when you did the muffler if the bolts were loose. Be careful though! The torque spec is pretty minimal for those nuts
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspected dead cylinder Reply with quote

Before temp guns, we used a squirt bottle and water. Shoot the tubes coming out of the head and you'll know the one or one's that aren't hitting.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: