Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Accelerator cable tube location with the carb mount
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:04 am    Post subject: Accelerator cable tube location with the carb mount Reply with quote

Over the winter I decided to remove my engine, and so some seal repairs and replace a few items here and there. One of the items was the accelerator cable tube. The tube I had was all bent up (Previous owner). the new tube I got from WW was straight and pretty. Once I got the cable through the tube and up to the point of connecting to the carb, I noticed it is NOT lined up. It's like a half inch off, roughly. that should be lined up with each other, shouldn't it? you'll see the cable comes out and then jogs to the left

I ended up taking off the spring sleeve that slides over the cable tube. that spring needs to be in place, right? Does this look right? And if not, how on earth do you fix it?

Here's a picture of how far the tube/cable is from the carb connecting point.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: accelerator cable tube location with the carb mount Reply with quote

It looks off but I am left wondering what the whole engine looks like in the car. Can you take a few steps back and click another picture?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: accelerator cable tube location with the carb mount Reply with quote

yep, I can do that. I just got done putting that back in. everything lined up. nothing certainly seemed "off". bolts to secure engine slid through like butter, so I know that's parts good. the shroud went on like normal.......again, nothing seemed off to me.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: accelerator cable tube location with the carb mount Reply with quote

It might be an illusion but I am thinking that intake manifold is a later model, due to the alternator. And in the process the throttle cable hole was never updated to the raised location.

Thinking that you will need to pull the alternator out. Map out the oil cooler on the shroud and drill a new cable tube hole.

That is all based off of your 2 photos. It would be so cool to get my hands on that!

Maybe try a later shroud! Or drill a new hole(s)!

Here is what yours ought to look like. That’s a 6V generator.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: accelerator cable tube location with the carb mount Reply with quote

i was hoping to not have to take that engine back out....ugh.

to back up, I never thought about that hole changing locations on shrouds.

when i tried to put the engine back into the car a few weeks ago, the old shroud i had broke. welds came apart and the pieces that held the air tubes, broke off. I bought an old shroud that matched the one I had. Didn't realize that the accelerator tube hole changed locations. everything else lined up, so i didn't give it much thought.

what if i drill a new hole to the left with the engine in the vehicle. Possible??
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: accelerator cable tube location with the carb mount Reply with quote

crankbait09 wrote:
i was hoping to not have to take that engine back out....ugh.

to back up, I never thought about that hole changing locations on shrouds.

when i tried to put the engine back into the car a few weeks ago, the old shroud i had broke. welds came apart and the pieces that held the air tubes, broke off. I bought an old shroud that matched the one I had. Didn't realize that the accelerator tube hole changed locations. everything else lined up, so i didn't give it much thought.

what if i drill a new hole to the left with the engine in the vehicle. Possible??

No need to drop the engine. Remove the decklid. Get the throttle cable out of the shroud, followed by the tube. Unstrap the alternator. Remove wiring to the coil. Remove bolts from the shroud on each side. Then pull up and lean toward you about halfway up. The entire fan shroud and alternator should come out in one piece.

Then, remove the alternator by removing the 4 6mm bolts. Reinstall the shroud and map out the new hole location, making certain you are not going through the oil cooler. Remove shroud. Drill out the holes and make sure the tube goes through. Remove tube and reinstall the shroud with alternator reinstalled onto shroud, into the car. Install tube. Pull cable through. Reconnect everything is see how it goes!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: accelerator cable tube location with the carb mount Reply with quote

I think what you have is a fan shroud off a 6 volt car with an intake manifold for a 12 volt car. The larger size of the 12 generator or alternator, compared to the 6 volt generator, caused VW to move the carb is little more off center to the left on the intake manifold.
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: accelerator cable tube location with the carb mount Reply with quote

I think drilling a hole is my best bet. Already spent a bit on this shroud and sandblasting so I could paint it. Dammit. All this for one hole.

I'm thinking dropping the engine is the easiest option.
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: accelerator cable tube location with the carb mount Reply with quote

bend the tube where it exits the rear of the fan house, give it a bit of a curve to point the end at the carb linkage. no fan house removal, no drilling needed. easy peasy. you can even add a bent extension to the tube end.( in which case you may have to use the late model type return spring that mounts on the carb)
I would not redrill the fan house for this. get a pipe bender tool and go for it!!

let us know how it works out!

Last edited by zerotofifty on Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: accelerator cable tube location with the carb mount Reply with quote

Now I wonder....I haven't checked specifics yet, but the old tube that I mentioned in the original post was beat up and kind bent. Which is why I bought a new one. I winder if tat was bent for this exact reason. I still have it. I'll definitely look at it and swap out if possible.

I'll post a picture of them side by side
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: accelerator cable tube location with the carb mount Reply with quote

If you decide to remove the engine and re-drill I recommend plotting out the exact point you want the new hole while it’s still all together.

If you want to leave the engine in place perhaps you could just re-drill the back (carb facing side) of the shroud and put the s-bend in the throttle cable tube between the back and front sides of the fan shroud.
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: accelerator cable tube location with the carb mount Reply with quote

The only problem I see is the cable is dragging against the sharp(ish) end of the tube. As previously suggested, you can take the tube out and put a bend in it so the angle isn't so severe.
Or you can cut the tube off near the fan shroud, making sure to de-burr the end of the tube. You can even press a piece of nylon tubing into the tube to give the cable something soft to rub against. This would also make the angle less severe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: accelerator cable tube location with the carb mount Reply with quote

Get one of the aftermarket tubes with the roller bearing/guide on the end.
I usually use them with dual carbs and crossbar linkages.

If you start drilling things you also need to align the hole in the tin that goes over the bellhousing...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: accelerator cable tube location with the carb mount Reply with quote

Let me ask this.....what purpose does that accelerator tube spring serve? If I curve this tube , I'm guessing the spring will not be able to be used. Is that a problem?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: accelerator cable tube location with the carb mount Reply with quote

That spring/tube is your throttle return spring. You need it. Bending the cable tube may bind it up.
Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: accelerator cable tube location with the carb mount Reply with quote

That's what I thought
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: accelerator cable tube location with the carb mount Reply with quote

Get the metal vacuum line for between the carb and distributor vacuum advance. That line needs to go uphill after coming out of the carb to prevent raw fuel getting down into the vacuum advance and ruining the rubber diaphragm.

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: accelerator cable tube location with the carb mount Reply with quote

crankbait09 wrote:
Let me ask this.....what purpose does that accelerator tube spring serve? If I curve this tube , I'm guessing the spring will not be able to be used. Is that a problem?

Someone below posted a picture that shows the later carb mounted throttle return spring. Your original pusher spring in a tube was the previous factory carb return spring system.

If you could put an S-curve on the tube where it is contained inside the fan shroud then the tube would exit strait at the carb and you could use the older style pusher throttle return spring. If the cable tube is angled as it exits the fan shroud then you will likely need to convert to the later style return spring. I've seen several 28 PICT type carbs with the later carb mounted return spring system, so I'm guessing some collection of stock parts can do that if you want.

If you pull the engine and move the holes in the fan shroud the amount needed you can use the stock pusher spring system again. Remember that you may need to provide a new hole in the forward engine tin as well (the one that fits against the firewall).
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: accelerator cable tube location with the carb mount Reply with quote

A small bend at the end of the tube should be able to accommodate the early cable based return spring, a sharp or long bend might be an issue. You will need to look at the parts and decide. at worse case, use the later style cab mounted return spring. this can be facilitated by adding a piece of drilled metal to one of the carb top cover screws that hangs over the edge of the carb with a hole to accept the spring, then get a spring to attach to the throttle lever a hole will probably be need to be drilled in the throttle lever to accept this spring.
or a later throttle arm might work, or add a piece of metal to the arm or throttle shaft to accept the spring.

What ever you do you NEED a return spring as the accelerator pedal spring is not adequate for this task. this is an important safety thing.

I for one would try to give a minimal bend of the tube so as to be able to use the stock early style return spring, that will be the cleanest and easiest install so long as you can get the right bend on that tube.

Lets see how you end up doing it, this will be a great reference for others that run into this same problem.
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: accelerator cable tube location with the carb mount Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Get the metal vacuum line for between the carb and distributor vacuum advance. That line needs to go uphill after coming out of the carb to prevent raw fuel getting down into the vacuum advance and ruining the rubber diaphragm.

Ditto that, that vacuum tube NEEDS to be bent up above the carb port to prevent fuel from entering the vacuum can. fuel will destroy the vacuum can diaphragm. Otherwise you end up with fuel in the can. dont let that ruin your hard to replace vacuum can, they dont grow on trees anymore.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: