Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jeremiah's 73 412 restoration project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremiah Berger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremiah's 73 412 restoration project Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jeremiah Berger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremiah's 73 412 restoration project Reply with quote

Here are some pics of the rear air ride setup

I took this idea from other air ride setups that used an air strut basically a coilover with an airbag instead of a spring.what I didn't like about that is it put all the weight on that eye on the bottom of strut in the middle of the bolt.I used this contraption to achieve a similar objective of getting the pivot of the whole thing inline with the travel of the shock.The spring had the ability to flex with a curve to it where the bag has to stay straight so cannot mount above like spring...

The bottom has bronze fittings pressed in. And the top of the airbag bolts up to the spring seat from the inside.I also added extra support to the bottom where all the weight now sits .

This is all very custom and made by fit and at this point still considering it a mockup of what I will continue to make better.Just thought it may help others with ideas they may have.

have.
hulken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremiah's 73 412 restoration project Reply with quote

Jeremiah Berger wrote:
Here are some pics of the rear air ride setup

I took this idea from other air ride setups that used an air strut basically a coilover with an airbag instead of a spring.what I didn't like about that is it put all the weight on that eye on the bottom of strut in the middle of the bolt.I used this contraption to achieve a similar objective of getting the pivot of the whole thing inline with the travel of the shock.The spring had the ability to flex with a curve to it where the bag has to stay straight so cannot mount above like spring...

The bottom has bronze fittings pressed in. And the top of the airbag bolts up to the spring seat from the inside.I also added extra support to the bottom where all the weight now sits .

This is all very custom and made by fit and at this point still considering it a mockup of what I will continue to make better.Just thought it may help others with ideas they may have.

have.

Nice solution! What about the upper mount? The picture of the lower mount is a bit blury, did you have to modify the mount in any way - looks like an extra bracket or something?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremiah's 73 412 restoration project Reply with quote

It appears that Jeremiah welded a square flat pad across the opening where the original shock normally went up through the trailing arm from below.

That's a pretty good method of strengthening that area which will also allow you to use any shock whose eye is maybe not exactly the same as the stock shock. It also allows using higher torque on the cross bolt without bending the structural tube. It's also easily reversible with five minutes from an angle grinder.

Thank you for posting the detailed pictures of the Bilstein strut inserts. Those are very ....odd.

So, for those who do not know, the reason those Bilstein struts have what looks like a strut rod that is like 3X normal diameter, it's because that is not the strut rod you are looking at.

These are an example of Bilstein "upside down" strut technology. I had heard of it but never really looked into what it was because I was not buying any of them for what I drive and up until recently....these....Bilstein offers nothing to fit the 411/412.

What these are are literally what it says. Instead of the outer body of the strut insert tube being just the lower reservoir with a piston attached to the end of the rod moving up and down inside.....you instead have the piston still at the end of the rod, but with a large machined cover tube, welded to the actual strut rod with its open end facing downward and inside of the strut outer tube.

So, on a normal strut cartridge, the piston is the lower guide for the strut rod and the outer rod seal at the top is the secondary rod guide. The problem long term with the original design is that as the strut takes up side loads either because of its rake from how it's mounted in the car or because of any issues with the upper bump stop design....the piston rod side loads its outer seal and the inner piston head and eventually wears out the outer seal first. This starts leakage from the outer seal and eventually causes the gas in the lower piston section to start leaking upward into the oil reservoir section and out the upper rod seal.
On one hand if the normal strut has lasted long enough...Bilstein and other strut mfs would not care because you just buy new ones!

So, this upside down design....and I finally found a detailed explanation or what it IS....basically has an upper shield surrounding the rod just like a normal two eye shock absorber like you would use on the front of an A-arm car that keeps the rod and rod seal totally shielded from view and from water and dirt.

BUT....what they have done is to polished the outer surface of that upper rod shield and add its own set of bushing/bearings inside of the strut body and put the shield inside of the strut tube instead of outside of the body like you would on a normal two eye shock. They then gave it an outer surrounding oil seal that you can see.

What this does is it gives the strut rod....two extra guide points. The inner set of what they fall "linear bearings"....bushings.....and that outer perimeter seal around the fat shield welded to the strut rod.

What this does is it gives the strut rod four guide points instead of the original two guide points explained above....and makes it very rigid against side loading, wear and leakage.

Why did they do this? Because it's one of the only ways to make strut cartridges with HIGH PRESSURE gas that perform and last a long time and have less directional change in sporty driving.

Which brings me to my point......how did these perform on your type 4 car? These are B6 spec for sports car level driving.
I would think....speculate.... that they would be rough on a 411/412....basically out running the stock springs and hammering the ball joints as well.

Great technology though! And I have found several listing that list them for the 411/412.

I will post the cross section diagram of these I found later.

EDIT:

Here is a link to the PDF explaining the Bilstein inverted shock technology.

Here is a screen shot of what they are talking about if the link does not work for you.

So looking at that diagram....I had part of it right and part of it wrong. The piston rod is actually bolted or welded to the outer tube....at the bottom of the tube. That fat upper shield...moves up and down so there are actually several points of lateral support. Great technology.

And, the bump stop is actually inside at the bottom. So it really is just a shock absorber suffed into a strut tube upside down.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeremiah Berger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremiah's 73 412 restoration project Reply with quote

Y

Yes as Ray has mentioned I welded a plate across the bottom section to strengthen it and allow for a good torque without collapsing (note I put it to tight and had to adjust the bag mount and shock bottom to work, don't do that)if I did it again I'd have made it a bit taller and allowed more room from the bottom of plate to the bolt hole.The top just mounts to the spring seat and bolts to frame just a couple holes drilled so nothing major that can't be undone.the hardest part of that was a custom angled washer to compensate for angle at one side of spring mount area and working through the tiny hole.I considered adding bigger access doors.You can also see where the air line goes in through here...

That's very interesting Ray I never really thought about the design much truthfully, I just said oh wow when I got it and made sure they worked and didn't consider much about why they where so different. Truthfully it wasn't the best ride up front but it wasn't horrible either and I was running them with e30 springs which did not give enough precoil? ( is that what it's called?)in my opinion and I thought it was more because of that. I have certainly cringed at the sound of my ball joints slamming in potholes but it wasn't too bad and it all bolted right up and got the nose down where I wanted it, and never really had many complaints the few years I drove it like that.
hulken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremiah's 73 412 restoration project Reply with quote

[quote="Jeremiah Berger"]

Since I have no access to my car at the moment, do you have the diameter and wall thickness of the tube and the thickness of the plate?
Jeremiah Berger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremiah's 73 412 restoration project Reply with quote

Thoughts on the deluxe cam kit vs. deluxe PLUS kit? Do you think I need the chromoly pushrods, vale retainers and rocker studs and hd springs? Or should I just go with the deluxe? I definitely want to maximize any quality parts possible but keeping it less complicated and as stock as possible.I was always under the impression that chromoly pushrods where louder and where overkill if you don't need them... seams like I should just go all the way though?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremiah's 73 412 restoration project Reply with quote

Jeremiah Berger wrote:
Thoughts on the deluxe cam kit vs. deluxe PLUS kit? Do you think I need the chromoly pushrods, vale retainers and rocker studs and hd springs? Or should I just go with the deluxe? I definitely want to maximize any quality parts possible but keeping it less complicated and as stock as possible.I was always under the impression that chromoly pushrods where louder and where overkill if you don't need them... seams like I should just go all the way though?

Sorry, meant to answer you the other day but after the storms, internet has been up and down.

Given.....you want to put these heads into the best condition as possible. the heads are both the strong and weak point of the type 4 engine. In a type 4 cCAR (not a bus) that was driven moderately....they can live a very long and strong life and during a high quality refurbishment they will need less than the same heads run in a bus.

First, in a perfect world if the engine was driven hard and poorly maintained and/or exhibits any signs of over heating.....you should replace the valve seatrs. Or if these are from a bus...change the valve seats.

The quick test for a 411/412/914 owner...strip all of the valves and springs out and place the heads in an oven on a cookie sheet at 400* F for about 45 minutes. Take the sheet pan out and lay it on something sturdy. The tile floor will do. Lift the head up about 6" with the chambers facing down and drop it on the pan. If any of the seats fall out or can be felt to be loose....you need new seats.

Check the valve guides carefully. If any are cracked on one end or they are worn....you need new guides. .do the rock test. A better way is to find a head shop that has the correct 3 point micrometers for measuring guide bores and have them checked.

Lets take these in order:

Chromoly pushrods: The key here first is getting correct geometry. I highly reccomend using Porshe swivel feet adjusters. And, when you do that and you are getting new valves....its highly possible that your stock aluminum pushrods will not ge able to give you great geometry without excessive shimminh of the rocker stands...which is to be avoided on a type 4...because this will affect the position of the spring clips that keep the floating pushrod tubes in place. And, with swivel feed adjusters there is limited room under the valve cover already.

In that case, when you find you need new pushrods...cut to nw proper length to maintain proper valve geometry without shimming rockers....the chromoly PR set will allow you to properly set up the geometry. They are also very good. Are the stock PR's less than teh chromoloy in quality? No. But if they are the wrong size after you get the heads done....you will have to order something.

My suggestion is to finish the heads first. Then contact someone like Type 4 store or Auto Atlanta and buy ONE adjuster first, buy or scavenge a stock aluminum pushrod (I probably have a spare if you need one)...and make an adjustable PR tool (or just buy one).
Set up your original cam in the case...just put cylinders and heads on it. N need for crank and pistons. You can use light springs from the ardware store.

Check your geometry with a stock Pushrod and the swivel foot with the stock aluminum pushrod. If its not good, use the adjustable one and find out the length you need. If you can do it with stock PR's maybe a single shim each of no greater than 0.015 to 0.020"...thats close enough. Just use the stock PR's. If its more than that...get the chromoly pushrods.

Valve retainers: Yes...the ones in the kit are made by Crower and they are excellent quality for the price. If you look at the stock ones with a lot of miles you will see quite a bit of wear. With high miles they can occasionally swage or pull through. If you are putting new springs and valves in, these are a cheap enough piece of insurance.

Springs: Yep...you should get new springs. Age and miles take a bit out of the stock springs over time. The ones in the kit are Crower and are very good springs.

Rocker studs: 50/50 on this one. I have more often than not found the need for new studs. Over a lot of miles...and probably more than one time or two taking the rocker shafts loose, the outer threads get a little rolled from the tension of cranking these back on. The issue manifests itself over high miles with one nut that occasionally gets loose mysteriously.
These are good quality studs in the kit.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeremiah Berger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeremiah's 73 412 restoration project Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. That all makes sense I will definitely do the valve seat test....The heads themselves are very great condition 70 k miles in a 412 wagon the engine is definitely been babied and the pistons did not have any skirt collapse or signs of overheating, but the exhaust valve guides do need replaced and the seat is a little tiny bit beat.I planned on new exhaust guides and Valve job and all new valves...bit o will definitely check the seats first...I will focus on the heads first, all very helpful.Thanks
Jeremiah Berger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Jeremiah's 73 412 restoration project Reply with quote

I did the drop test on the valve seats today and everything went fine othere then the smell.of an overheating VW im my kitchen...its a good.thing i do allmost all the Cooking. They seem to be holding well for now

Kind of a rookie move for me like usual. I am always learning two steps behind and even though after diving deep into type 4 valve seats last night at this point I would have probably just said hell and bought new heads but unless I wanna send back the Neway cutters and the valves and guides and reamer I already bought ..and all the work I've already put into the heads...I think I'm just gonna hope for the best and honestly they are quite nice heads.

I went ahead and got the rocker studs out today... decided that it was worth the bundle considering the parts I definitely want so I'll probably just order the deluxe PLUS kit now and if I have some extra PRs in the end it's not the end of the world.

Here's the heads. I've got them all stripped and exhaust guides pulled...intake valves seats just had a tiny bit of pitting, went ahead and lapped them with one of the better old valves once to clean them up.cleaned up the ports and the chambers and pulled the exhaust studs to replace.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: