Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Inherited ‘86 So.California Subaru Westy. Was sitting for years.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Tobo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited ‘86 So.California Subaru Westy. Was sitting for years. Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
Dude, this is a rats nest.
The old EFI harness is still in, WTF Laughing

The alternator harness got hot too, and it's now corroded on the B+ stud in the junction box.

Pull all this sh!t out and start fresh, you're gonna spend your life away on this....

Nope. I’d have to sell it and take a loss. Not gonna get into all that. Beyond my capabilities and finances. I’m regretting buying it already.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited ‘86 So.California Subaru Westy. Was sitting for years. Reply with quote

If you don't have the means to fix it, sell it. Starting the engine is the first step but you're gonna have to pump a LOT of money and parts in it to get it running safely and reliably, even if you do all the labor yourself.
I do this for a living, seen this many times.
Better sell it now...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Inherited ‘86 So.California Subaru Westy. Was sitting for years. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Inherited ‘86 So.California Subaru Westy. Was sitting for years. Reply with quote

Battery and ignition connections are usually made in the black box upper left side back firewall. There is a wire running from the alternator post to a post in the black box. Look for fused connections there. A test light or multimeter would help.
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Inherited ‘86 So.California Subaru Westy. Was sitting for years. Reply with quote

I found this ECU with the D8 identifier. Says it's from a 90-91.Does the top number look like 22611 AA563?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155632023396?chn=ps
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Inherited ‘86 So.California Subaru Westy. Was sitting for years. Reply with quote

Put the vin into smog check and look at the history before you invest more time

I think is 100 hours away from being sorted , at least
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Inherited ‘86 So.California Subaru Westy. Was sitting for years. Reply with quote

The box from under the "pantry" looks like an aftermarket cruise control unit.
Some of the wiring behind the tail light, including the damaged fuse, is probably related to the added-on cruise control installation.

In order for a simple Subaru conversion to be smog "legal" in Calif it needs to be done using the full KEP kit that is specifically approved for Calif along with an approved early 90s 2.2 donor.

An older conversion done under old policy may have had a BAR approval sticker put on the van that if still present could allow smog testing without the current KEP kit requirements.

Mark
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Inherited ‘86 So.California Subaru Westy. Was sitting for years. Reply with quote

It sounds like you bought this Vanagon hoping it would be a relatively simple thing to get it running and then have a cool vintage camper. The fact that it was sitting for years is probably because your uncle could not keep it up and just parked it, unwilling to sell, and hoping that someday....
Vanagons are not for casual owners unless they have deep pockets to pay someone to maintain and repair them. From all the pictures you've posted, there is a lot of work that needs be done just to clean up the engine compartment and ecu to get it properly set up. Lots of suspect wiring in there. Next, you''ll need to go through brakes, suspension, steering systems. The installed A/C probably needs work also. Heck, there are also all the camper bits that will probably need work as well.
I'd suggest you leave the van parked and take the time to read though some of the many build threads on here and decide how badly you want to join the cult of Vanagon.

I'm reminded of my friend from long ago. We were climbing a difficult route on El Capitan. My friend had taken a couple of very long falls on the most difficult section. Pausing before his successful attempt, he looked down and said, "There are probably a lot of guys that would like to have done this route."

Last edited by mtnhome on Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Inherited ‘86 So.California Subaru Westy. Was sitting for years. Reply with quote

Awesome last paragraph, and right on for this topic. Cool

— Colin Chapman
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Inherited ‘86 So.California Subaru Westy. Was sitting for years. Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

^^^^^
This!

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited ‘86 So.California Subaru Westy. Was sitting for years. Reply with quote

Red Ryder wrote:
Abscate wrote:

^^^^^
This!

One hour. One hundred hours for a WBX 2.1 and a VW mechanic. Rolling Eyes
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited ‘86 So.California Subaru Westy. Was sitting for years. Reply with quote

Tobo wrote:
Nope. I’d have to sell it and take a loss. Not gonna get into all that. Beyond my capabilities and finances. I’m regretting buying it already.

That is unfortunate. Good luck with your sale.
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited ‘86 So.California Subaru Westy. Was sitting for years. Reply with quote

As Alika said, if you are going to tackle this, start by buying a new conversion harness for a '92-'94 ej22, get a ecu from a junk yard (92-94 are the same) . Put it under the seat where it belongs. Clean up corrosion, grounds, etc and you might have a chance. Also, Rather than asking a bunch of "what is this" type questions, spent about a month researching an early ej22 engine swap so you can know what to look for and what it should look like. You have a lot to learn if you want to get this going. There are tons of threads about ej22 swaps... Start reading.
Kdj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Inherited ‘86 So.California Subaru Westy. Was sitting for years. Reply with quote

If your going to keep the van you are going to have to make the commitment to investing time and money. These are 40 something year old vehicles.
Don't be afraid of learning a new skill it will be way cheaper to educate yourself then to pay others for their knowledge. Lots of good smart people here and in your local VW clubs seek them out. Good luck Wink
Tobo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited ‘86 So.California Subaru Westy. Was sitting for years. Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
……
An older conversion done under old policy may have had a BAR approval sticker put on the van that if still present could allow smog testing without the current KEP kit requirements.

Mark

Is this the bar approval cert? Iirc kep was certified in 2008? This predates with 2005 date.

Found on inside door jam.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited ‘86 So.California Subaru Westy. Was sitting for years. Reply with quote

Yes, the BAR is the Bureau of Automotive Repair.

That BAR approval sticker should let you get regular smog tests without reference to Kennedy/KEP.
You might have to try a couple places.
Don't go to a Referee.

(The KEP kit was approved by a very different agency ,called CARB, and you may have something other than a CARB approved KEP conversion)

Mark
Tobo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited ‘86 So.California Subaru Westy. Was sitting for years. Reply with quote

I’m not giving up yet. Just not as much time working 2 jobs. But have money for parts so that’s the good side.

I replaced the vw fuel pump relay under steer wheel. all fuses tested good including those in black box top left engine compartment by alternator negative ground.
The engine compartment green connector to round relay (pic below)gets 2.8v with ignition on.
Tested the green connect round relay and it works when given 12v
Bypassed relay and bridged the wires that connect to relay and with ignition on fuel pump runs!

My most urgent goal is to get it started so I can move it off my dad’s driveway before a neighbor complains and gets the city involved.
I have no qualms about doing full redo of mechanical things like brakes suspension fuel injectors, valves etc. The wires scare me. Tranny too. But mostly the wiring scares me.
Tobo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited ‘86 So.California Subaru Westy. Was sitting for years. Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Yes, the BAR is the Bureau of Automotive Repair.

That BAR approval sticker should let you get regular smog tests without reference to Kennedy/KEP.
You might have to try a couple places.
Don't go to a Referee.
thank you!
hardway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited ‘86 So.California Subaru Westy. Was sitting for years. Reply with quote

You found the Subaru relays. But they lack power? Trace backwards from the relays to the power source. This looks like a very un clean install. That green mass of Cupric Oxide on the power supply stud in the connector box caught my eye. This reminds me of how I learned. But you have a steep hill in front of you.
Tobo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited ‘86 So.California Subaru Westy. Was sitting for years. Reply with quote

wesitarz wrote:

The relays are there on the right side engine compartment. Green one is the FP relay.[\quote]
Relay works. Gets 0v key off. Gets 2.8v ignition on. (11.8v if I ground to engine block instead of ground to 2nd relay connector post). More info w pics in my previous post today
[quote=“wesitarz”]
I see green connectors near the black ones.Are they connected? That could be a problem as they should be disconnected with engine running. FP relay should have one powered terminal from battery power with key off.

the green connectors were plugged in when I found them. I tried dc them to no effect.

quote="wesitarz"]
Connect the two green test connectors and turn the key to on as I've said before. Relays,solenoids and FP should be cycling. If not, check 2 fused connections for ignition and battery. [/quote]
Which “green test connectors” ?
I searched for all fuses including black box alternator neg ground and all fuses I could find are good.

Suggested next step? The wire from Subaru do relay goes into a wisleeve with bunch other wires.
In meantime I’m going to watch more videos to see how to test the ecu.

What’s a ballpark for getting engine compartment wiring redone by a professional?

Also need to find if the replacement ecu is plug and play or does it need to be programmed for vin#
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: