Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1976 ‘Martini Olive’ Aussie Dormobile Kombi
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 ‘Martini Olive’ Aussie Dormobile Kombi Reply with quote

I’ve got Olive tidied up: door cards back on, radio/cassette in, kick panels back etc.
We have had a couple of very short trips, but this week there is a ‘coffee and classics’ meet in Crieff, Perthshire and we plan to go and then visit Shona’s sister and her family.
I thought it would be nice to have some basic information about Olive for folk at the meet, so I bashed up a card to go on the windscreen.
Fingers crossed for reasonable weather!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 ‘Martini Olive’ Aussie Dormobile Kombi Reply with quote

I really think one of the big areas Olive can be improved is the paintwork. The paint is almost all original, but quite faded and tired. I had a session in the garden today, just dealing with the roof panels, front and rear.
The sequence was wash, clay bar until smooth, compound with a dual action polisher, polish by hand, gloss protection and wax. I was fairly gentle, and the roof panels aren’t super visible but it has made a huge improvement. Some deeper scratches still there but the paint has a deeper shine and the swirls and finer scratches are mostly gone. I’m optimistic that the same process will really make the bodywork look amazing!
The pictures before are after washing but show some patchy faded areas. The gloss is hard to capture, but maybe you get the idea!

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 ‘Martini Olive’ Aussie Dormobile Kombi Reply with quote

I’ve been having a think about which direction I should head in with the resto/preservation of Olive. I think the beauty is in the originality and so I want to keep and enhance the original paint and try to bring other aspects towards a ‘factory’ restoration. The seats and the rear bed and laid bay cushion have all been re-covered but I think the colour scheme would be better as the original ‘canyon brown’. Repro front seat covers seem to be basketweave with seams, but I think they would have originally been plain basketweave, as per the pictures attached. I will ask a local seat trimmer what he can do as he might make them from scratch.
The rear bed and load bay cushion would have been a striped fabric, as we still have in the orange Kombi (covered in sheepskin!) and I have a thought that I could just swap the padded parts over between the two buses as you don’t see under the sheepskin in the orange Kombi. Then the interior in Olive would look the same as when new.
Thoughts welcome about the ‘correct’ front seat patterns in particular!

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 ‘Martini Olive’ Aussie Dormobile Kombi Reply with quote

I had a chance to catch up with some small jobs today. The fuel gauge sender was kaput and so I did the $1 repair with Nichrome wire. It’s still a major undertaking but at least now I’ll have some idea of fuel level!

Post pasted from the repair thread…

mcdonaldneal wrote:
For what it’s worth, I’ll post some pics of my sender repair.
I had a huge access panel hole to cut, but on the plus side I can get both hands in!
My sender had worn wire, as you see, and a micro fracture so the gauge only registered when the tank was totally full.
It is a VDO sender, and the little circuit board is solidly attached with a copper strip to the terminal post which made wrapping the Nichrome wire VERY fiddly. That’s my excuse for the incorrect spacing of the wire wrap!
I sealed it with epoxy and the whole thing has a resistance of about 45ohms. I’ll see how it goes with the gauge, but I can always add a 20ohm resistor if I need to later.
I was dreading the whole job, and so I’m glad it’s done even if it isn’t perfect-at least I’ll have some idea of fuel level now.

jackthepom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 ‘Martini Olive’ Aussie Dormobile Kombi Reply with quote

Could I please ask where you got the access hole cover plate from? looks great

mcdonaldneal wrote:
I had a chance to catch up with some small jobs today. The fuel gauge sender was kaput and so I did the $1 repair with Nichrome wire. It’s still a major undertaking but at least now I’ll have some idea of fuel level!

Post pasted from the repair thread…

mcdonaldneal wrote:
For what it’s worth, I’ll post some pics of my sender repair.
I had a huge access panel hole to cut, but on the plus side I can get both hands in!
My sender had worn wire, as you see, and a micro fracture so the gauge only registered when the tank was totally full.
It is a VDO sender, and the little circuit board is solidly attached with a copper strip to the terminal post which made wrapping the Nichrome wire VERY fiddly. That’s my excuse for the incorrect spacing of the wire wrap!
I sealed it with epoxy and the whole thing has a resistance of about 45ohms. I’ll see how it goes with the gauge, but I can always add a 20ohm resistor if I need to later.
I was dreading the whole job, and so I’m glad it’s done even if it isn’t perfect-at least I’ll have some idea of fuel level now.

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 ‘Martini Olive’ Aussie Dormobile Kombi Reply with quote

jackthepom wrote:
Could I please ask where you got the access hole cover plate from? looks great

Hi Jack. I got it online from Hayburner, they have a website. It’s a bit over engineered but makes a good repair!

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 ‘Martini Olive’ Aussie Dormobile Kombi Reply with quote

Winter update:
Temps have been below freezing here for a while but I have managed to make some progress with Olive.
I was due a trip to our (not very) local metal blaster and powder coater, so there were a few parts from Olive that needed attention:
Both bumpers had been horribly overpainted in a bright white by brushing, but luckily there was a patch of original paint behind the number plate! I drilled holes for the number plate mount bolts before the blasting trip and hammered flat a few dents and bends. The brackets and bolts will get powdered the same colour.
The rear bumper was actually mounted onto a heavy duty tow bar, which used the bumper mounts and so the bumper jutted a little to the rear. I will delete the tow bar and replace the bumper to its original position. The gravel guard was still in place and the condition of the inside of the bumpers is really excellent with just very light surface rust. The powder coat guy couldn’t believe the Kombi is nearly 48yrs old. Thank goodness for the Canberra climate!
The roo bars needed one of the bolts grinding off but in themselves are in a good state too. I wasn’t sure what colour to go for, but in the spirit of like-for-like I’m going for a very dark grey.

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 ‘Martini Olive’ Aussie Dormobile Kombi Reply with quote

I picked up the bumpers and roo bars from the powder coaters and they are looking awesome! There was enough original,paint on the bumper to get a match and the roo bars are a very dark grey. The colour code reminder on the tape is so that I can remember it if I need other parts the same colour!
Also I visited an auto upholsterer and have managed to get a sample of VW Basketweave vinyl material and I have ordered some of the brown (darker) to have the front seats and the little seat by the cooker re-covered.

The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 ‘Martini Olive’ Aussie Dormobile Kombi Reply with quote

Those bumpers look great! The dark grey for the roo bars also was a good choice. Bob
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 ‘Martini Olive’ Aussie Dormobile Kombi Reply with quote

We have been away on an extended trip and now we are back it is time to make progress with Olive!
The first day back I dropped off the front seats and the buddy seat with the trimmer along with the chocolate brown basketweave vinyl. The colour is darker than original but the style will be like the original commercial seats with no piping.
Today was fine weather, so I rolled Olive out into the sun and started sliding door repairs. The nylon block is broken and I want to refresh the slider hinge and catch. First step is simple: remove the cover plate…
Oh dear! Not so simple after all! After soaking in penetrant, I removed the screws, but no amount of hammering on a wooden block, levering with trim tools or forcing upwards with long clamps would shift the cover plate. I couldn’t work out why, unless, unless, the after market sliding rear window/fly screen was stopping the plate moving up??
I managed to remove the window frame, which was kind of screwed on from the inside, with a rubber seal outside, and then of course the cover plate came up easily. Phew!
I removed the ‘U’ hinge and catch and I will clean them up later, as well as the roller bearings, track and window frame. I might need to touch up with some paint while I’m there. Overall, looks pretty good though!

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 ‘Martini Olive’ Aussie Dormobile Kombi Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
I’ve got Olive tidied up: door cards back on, radio/cassette in, kick panels back etc.

We have had a couple of very short trips, but this week there is a ‘coffee and classics’ meet in Crieff, Perthshire and we plan to go and then visit Shona’s sister and her family.

I thought it would be nice to have some basic information about Olive for folk at the meet, so I bashed up a card to go on the windscreen.
Fingers crossed for reasonable weather!

If I recall correctly, the Australian specification VW 2000 Type 2 with electronic fuel injection was a one-year only model! Shocked

The Australian specification 1972~75 VW 1700 & 1800 Type 2s and 1977~79 VW 2000 Type 2s had twin Solex carburettors. Some of these had special combination air-filters for ultra-dusty conditions; early ones being made by Donaldson in Japan but the later ones were specified by Volkswagen, of a type common to the South African specification 1976~79 VW 2000 Type 2s.

I wrote an article about these several years ago, which was published in Transporter Talk. There should also be a few of my topic-threads about this in the archives of the Australian Kombi Club forum and the South African Air-Cooled VW Club forum.

I have yet to learn of any special combination air-filters for ultra-dusty conditions, for the North American, Swedish or Australian specification, 1976~79 VW 2000 Type 2s with electronic fuel injection; which to the best of my knowledge would be Bosch L-Jetronic in all territories.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 ‘Martini Olive’ Aussie Dormobile Kombi Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:

If I recall correctly, the Australian specification VW 2000 Type 2 with electronic fuel injection was a one-year only model! Shocked

The Australian specification 1972~75 VW 1700 & 1800 Type 2s and 1977~79 VW 2000 Type 2s had twin Solex carburettors. Some of these had special combination air-filters for ultra-dusty conditions; early ones being made by Donaldson in Japan but the later ones were specified by Volkswagen, of a type common to the South African specification 1976~79 VW 2000 Type 2s.

I wrote an article about these several years ago, which was published in Transporter Talk. There should also be a few of my topic-threads about this in the archives of the Australian Kombi Club forum and the South African Air-Cooled VW Club forum.

I have yet to learn of any special combination air-filters for ultra-dusty conditions, for the North American, Swedish or Australian specification, 1976~79 VW 2000 Type 2s with electronic fuel injection; which to the best of my knowledge would be Bosch L-Jetronic in all territories.

Thanks Nigel, that’s interesting. It fits with the fact that my friend in Canberra has a 1976 2.0 FI with a Donaldson air filter and our other Aussie Dormobile (1978 model year) has dual carbs and the standard paper filter. I wonder why they went back to dual carbs, maybe more easily serviceable in remote areas?

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 ‘Martini Olive’ Aussie Dormobile Kombi Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
NASkeet wrote:

Thanks Nigel, that’s interesting. It fits with the fact that my friend in Canberra has a 1976 2.0 FI with a Donaldson air filter and our other Aussie Dormobile (1978 model year) has dual carbs and the standard paper filter. I wonder why they went back to dual carbs, maybe more easily serviceable in remote areas?

Several years ago, I was informed by someone on the Australian Kombi Club forum, that the Donaldson two-stage filter unit (which I presume incorporates a cyclone dust separator), was introduced because of the number of warranty claims received by VW Australia PTY, regarding prematurely worn-out engines, associated with driving in the outback.

Here is the topic thread that I initiated on the South African Air-Cooled Volkswagen Club forum, on Tuesday 23rd June 2009. Shocked

Home > Board index > Technical > Advice > Engine air filters, for very-dusty conditions?

https://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopic.php?t=12592

https://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopic.php?t=12592&start=15

https://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopic.php?t=12592&start=30

I would be interested to see some pictures and learn of the associated part numbers, for the Donaldson air-filter unit, fitted to the Australian 1976 VW 2000 Type 2 EFI, belonging to your friend in Canberra.

In the meantime, I shall try to find the issue of Transporter Talk magazine in which my article appeared, about Australian specification 1968~79 VW Type 2s and the availability of bespoke Australian spare parts for these vehicles.

Hopefully, I should be able to scan the relevant pages at my local public library, and post them in The Samba Gallery.

https://www.justkampers.com.au/

https://www.justkampers.com.au/vw-t2-bay-window-parts.html

https://www.justkampers.com.au/vw-t2-bay-window-parts/t2-bay-engine-parts.html

https://www.justkampers.com.au/vw-t2-bay-window-pa...000cc.html

https://www.justkampers.com.au/vw-t2-bay-window-parts/t2-bay-fuel-tanks-filters-hoses.html

https://www.justkampers.com.au/vw-t2-bay-window-parts/t2-bay-electrical-parts.html

https://www.justkampers.com.au/vw-t2-bay-window-pa...tches.html

Windscreen Wiper Arms (Pair) for VW T2 Bay (Fits Australian Built Vans Only) PART NUMBER J29123 | On Backorder | Aus$20.00

https://www.justkampers.com.au/vw-t2-bay-window-pa...-only.html

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 ‘Martini Olive’ Aussie Dormobile Kombi Reply with quote

Thanks again Nigel. I will ask Craig if he can send pictures and hopefully part numbers. I will pass them on to you!

In other news, I had time today for the very satisfying job of cleaning and dismantling the sliding door hinge assembly and the ‘open door hold back book’.
The nylon block had sheared and as before I drilled out the rivet and secured the new block with a bolt and nylon nut.

Some pics:

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 ‘Martini Olive’ Aussie Dormobile Kombi Reply with quote

Whilst you are sorting out your sliding-door gear, you might want to make one of these sliding-door pull-close straps or handles.

mcdonaldneal wrote:

Looking at your handbrake lever, I surmise that the rear brakes and/or the handbrake cable are in need of adjustment. Generally speaking, expect to see no more than 6 notches on the ratchet, when the handbrake is full on.

Rather than fit a dog-leg extension to the gear-lever, I put an additional bend in the original lever and substituted a sightly taller gear-lever knob from a VW 411/412.

Here are a few OLD topic threads on the Australian Kombi Club forum, when it had a different sponsor, but they might have been archived and not be readily accessible.

Bay Tech Clinic > Engine & Transmission > Engine air filters, for very-dusty conditions?

https://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=20162

Kombi Club Forums > Help and Assistance > Bay Tech Clinic > Engine & Transmission > Stock air cleaner

https://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=23366

Kombi Club Forums > Help and Assistance > Bay Tech Clinic > Engine & Transmission > air cleaner identification

https://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=28937

Kombi Club Forums > Help and Assistance > Bay Tech Clinic > advice for a learner on air cleaner

https://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=35156

Help and Assistance > Bay Tech Clinic > Body > Gas struts for Westfalia elevating roof

https://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=21732

'How To' & 'Handy Hints' > Retro-fitting supplementary gauges

https://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=19396

Help and Assistance > Bay Tech Clinic > Fuel System & Electrics > Accessory terminal supply: Selection of terminals 15, 30, 61, D+, G, P or X

https://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=21731

Help and Assistance > 'How To' & 'Handy Hints' > Scope for confusion: Automotive fuses - Colours & current rating

https://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=21730

Bay Tech Clinic > Fuel System & Electrics > Uprated, replacement, modular wiring loom, for the 1968~79 VW Type 2

https://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=22179

Buzzing/Whirring fresh/hot air fans

https://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=20193

Kombi Club Forums > Help and Assistance > Bay Tech Clinic > Early/Late Bay Wipers

https://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=32813

Bay Tech Clinic > How to: 1968~79 Kombi, RHD windscreen-wiper conversion?

http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=876

Board index » Technical » Advice » Ill-fitting exhaust heat exchangers & silencers

http://www.aircooledvwsa.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=4&a...06#p124306

Board index > KamperChat Forums > KamperTech > Where can I buy Windscreen wiper arms for RHD aussie bay?

http://www.justkampers.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=140107

http://www.justkampers.com/forum/thread/view/where...aussie_bay

Nigel A. Skeet

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 ‘Martini Olive’ Aussie Dormobile Kombi Reply with quote

Thanks Nigel, some very good information there. I like the idea of the closing assist strap!
The handbrake and gear stick are just on an example picture that I found to illustrate the ‘seamless’ basketweave vinyl that I think was issued with (some?) commercial buses. As far as I can tell, that is the style that ‘Olive’ would have had and I am having made up.
Her handbrake does resemble the one in the picture though, and a brake adjustment is on my list!

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 ‘Martini Olive’ Aussie Dormobile Kombi Reply with quote

I made progress with the sliding door refresh today. The upper and lower roller assemblies were predictably filthy and although I removed the circlips, my puny wiper puller could not remove the lower rollers from their shafts and so I cleaned them in situ and regreased. The upper roller even still had the felt washer, which I cleaned and oiled.
The lower roller bracket had two shims installed from assembly, which of course I replaced and the upper bracket was just bare metal underneath, which I guess is because the vehicle would have been assembled from parts in Victoria (and painted afterwards!)
I was going to paint the sliding door track, but really the only parts with bare metal are where the roller runs (which would rub off anyway) so I am going to leave it as is.

Willin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 ‘Martini Olive’ Aussie Dormobile Kombi Reply with quote

Hi Neal!
Love your posts! Wish my cat liked riding around with me in my bus!
Since you seem to have your sliding door all apart, could you, Please, look at the hole in the door for the operation lever?
I posted a question about this on my thread @ Willin73. Yesterday.
I either "Stumped the Band" or nobody looks at my thread, but I have not gotten a response.
Is that inner piece in the hole fixed? Or loose? Is the lock the same as my 73? In the lever? Maybe the hole is the same? I guess I should have looked at a 76 door before I asked?
TIA
Jim
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 ‘Martini Olive’ Aussie Dormobile Kombi Reply with quote

Willin wrote:
Hi Neal!
Love your posts! Wish my cat liked riding around with me in my bus!
Since you seem to have your sliding door all apart, could you, Please, look at the hole in the door for the operation lever?
I posted a question about this on my thread @ Willin73. Yesterday.
I either "Stumped the Band" or nobody looks at my thread, but I have not gotten a response.
Is that inner piece in the hole fixed? Or loose? Is the lock the same as my 73? In the lever? Maybe the hole is the same? I guess I should have looked at a 76 door before I asked?
TIA
Jim

Hi Jim! Glad you’re enjoying the thread. I’m not sure what your problem might be, I don’t have the door lock off this time (I cleaned and serviced it on the Australian trip, as a rubber piece had come loose within the lock) I have attached a couple of pics of the lock mechanism.
Actually, now I think of it, that might be the other end of the door?
One thing that might help: on my ‘76 and ‘78 the door doesn’t lock by lifting the handle, only with the key (or the inner button). Different from earlier buses..hope that helps a bit. Phil

Willin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 ‘Martini Olive’ Aussie Dormobile Kombi Reply with quote

OK, Thanks for looking.
Jim
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: