Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

the ONE car you wish you still had
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: the ONE car you wish you still had Reply with quote

1970 240z. It was a bondo machine, but was my third car and had shiny blue paint. Circa 1985
1963 356c coupe. Basket case. Bought for $1800, sold for $1800. It was a complete project. Drum bake car. It went to a shop in Pittsburgh around 1997.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: the ONE car you wish you still had Reply with quote

A few:

We had a 1955 GMC Carryall that I learned to drive in that I wish we could have kept. It was a straight 6 and had a "creeper" 1st gear (similar to a VW Syncro Vanagon gearing) that was perfect for hauling a trailer and barely enough power to do highway speeds fully loaded with people and gear. It drove just like my 1973 VW Panel Bus.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Another was a blue 1969 Chevy Biscayne Wagon that my brother and I swapped in a refreshed 454 with a 4 speed Muncie and a 12 bolt posi rear end that used to turn a lot of heads and require frequent rear tire changes. My 2nd oldest brother had a 1969 Chevelle and my 3rd oldest brother had a 1969 Pontiac Parisienne at the same time but I liked the Chevy Wagon best as it was the full package and was the first time I was able to bury the speedometer needle (120mph) in a car.

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image

Last edited by Shonandb on Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:57 am; edited 2 times in total
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: the ONE car you wish you still had Reply with quote

HA! OP loved his Scirocco.

Had a couple pumpkin orange first year Sciroccos with the orange plaid interiors. Both were steaming piles. I'll qualify that by saying I prefer driving dirt roads and I can drive a hundred miles on dirt, maybe crossing pavement. My late brother worked out motorcycle routes mapping out the best dirt roads all the way out to the Midwest. VW watercooled sucks on dirt.

My best car ever:

My Java green '67. I had five or six other '67s but that was The One. Might have something to do with coming down from the mountain top with Sue in the passenger seat and her little sister Stacey driving. Me in the middle of course. There isn't any place to sit but I didn't notice.

Any Bug will do of course but '67 is the center of the universe.

Honorable Mention: That would be the '79 two door Dasher I got from a junkyar for fifty bucks and fixed up for my parents.

Honorable mention runner up: My '60s Chevy C10 stepside. That thing was only a few years old when we got it and it was already completely rusted out. Whatever. Those old nails are super easy to work on. I have a line on another one. First task will be eradicating every speck of rust.

iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: the ONE car you wish you still had Reply with quote

In 1970 I had a '68 Corvette 'vert. 327 with 4 speed. Manual steering and non-power 4 wheel disc brakes. Shocked Crazy high gearing-----it wouldn't get out of its own way from a stoplight, but one time (and one time only) I red-lined the tach in 4th gear on white-wall bias ply tires. STUPID.
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: the ONE car you wish you still had Reply with quote

Shonandb wrote:
We had a 1955 GMC Carryall that I learned to drive in that I wish we could have kept. It was a straight 6 and had a "creeper" 1st gear (similar to a VW Syncro Vanagon gearing) that was perfect for hauling a trailer and barely enough power to do highway speeds fully loaded with people and gear. It drove just like my 1973 VW Panel Bus.

We had a slightly newer version. By the 1960s GMC was using the V6 "school bus" motor in those. If it will pull a 50 passenger school bus you bet it will haul a GMC window van.

That thing pulled (coasted?) more than a few approximately 30 second measured miles rolling off the hills on I-81 around Scranton.

More foolish than a speeding Corvette. Way worse brakes, tires and handling compared to a 'Vette.

Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: the ONE car you wish you still had Reply with quote

Dusty1 wrote:
Shonandb wrote:

We had a slightly newer version. By the 1960s GMC was using the V6 "school bus" motor in those. If it will pull a 50 passenger school bus you bet it will haul a GMC window van.

That thing pulled (coasted?) more than a few approximately 30 second measured miles rolling off the hills on I-81 around Scranton.

More foolish than a speeding Corvette. Way worse brakes, tires and handling compared to a 'Vette.

Nice! Our 55 may have had the school bus motor too but it was a straight/inline 6 though. It had a ton of torque and the gearing was great for hauling heavy loads but I don't remember driving over 60 mph with it much as it used to wander a bit from what I remember. However, that may have just been due to worn steering parts. Good memories though - no seat belts, holes in the floor, floor starter button, huge gear shifter throw, etc...
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image

Last edited by Shonandb on Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: the ONE car you wish you still had Reply with quote

I do not recall GM making a V6 prior to the mid '60's ('64 or '65?) Buick 198 V6. That engine may have been offered by Pontiac too but it was not popular and they stopped making them. They were rough running gutless wonders. All the six cylinders I have ever seen before that and for several years after were inline sixes. 235, 258 long stroke ones and the next generation was the short stroke 230 and 250. The older GM school buses here got the 283 V8 until about '66 when they put the 327 V8 in them. The school bus engine was distinguished by a governor that bolted on between the carb and the intake manifold.

Last edited by oprn on Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
clockworkbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: the ONE car you wish you still had Reply with quote

My '70 Bus. My first son came and priorities made me sell it but I will always miss it. Non-VW would be my 2006 Scion XB, that car was awesome (and about as fast as a stock Beetle).

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: the ONE car you wish you still had Reply with quote

I will always regret selling the '69 Bay Window Bus Dad bought new that I grew up in. I realized 2 years ago that even if I took the time between multiple other projects to put it back on the road, I would hardly ever drive it. It's inability to stay with modern traffic, thirst for fuel and horrible road handling in the wind would relegate it to "special event only" usage. As a senior on a fixed income that was just not a very good use of our limited funds.

Yes I miss it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Jump to:
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: