Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Inherited ‘86 So.California Subaru Westy. Was sitting for years.
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tobo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:23 pm    Post subject: Inherited ‘86 So.California Subaru Westy. Was sitting for years. Reply with quote

My favorite uncle passed. By inherited I mean I bought it from the estate.

Uncle had the conversion done by his neighbor Mike in Costa Mesa. Mikes dad did these Subaru conversions in Germany and when Mikes dad flew over from Germany and showed him how to do it- it was on my uncle’s 86 westfalia van. Uncle before he passed mentioned Mike had since moved.

Had it towed to my dad’s driveway. It won’t start. Fuel relay clicks but voltmeter says no power to pump. ordered 2 more fuel pump relays. Started replacing rubber fuel lines and fuel filter. Can confirm that fuel line to pump has fuel, and fuel pump runs when given 12v direct.

1. Anyone know where the fuel pressure sensor and the pressure sensor relay is on a Subaru conversion? I don’t see it on the engine where my Subaru Haynes manual says it should be, (has empty bolt holes) and I don’t see it where the vw Haynes manual says it should be. I can’t find them. I followed the fuel line from fuel filter to engine compartment and afaict it looks like it goes to splitter then to each cylinder.
The + wire from fuel pump goes into a wiring sleeve protector with a bunch other wires. Things are old and brittle. I’m scared of wires breaking or coming disconnected. I also see stray wires occasionally. This is also concerning.

2. Am I going to have a problem smogging this Subaru powered vanagon in California?

3. I remember my uncle talking about some fuse that blows out due to Subaru and makes van not run. Does anyone familiar with Subaru conversions know what fuse this might be? And where it might be?

4. Anyone know of a shop by Long Beach or Huntington Beach (or better yet mobile mechanic) in SoCal that specializes in VW Subaru Conversions or experienced working on Vw Subaru conversions in case I can’t get it to start?

Last edited by Tobo on Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited ‘86 So.California Westy. Was sitting for years. Reply with quote

What subaru engine and year?
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Inherited ‘86 So.California Subaru Westy. Was sitting for years. Reply with quote

Check that the ECU is actually getting power under ignition +

There's no fuel pressure sensor I don't think....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: Inherited ‘86 So.California Subaru Westy. Was sitting for years. Reply with quote

You need battery power and ignition power to the fuel pump relay and a ground supplied by the ECU. One terminal should always be hot on the FP relay. THis is battery power. There should be 2 fuses for battery power and ignition power (possibly in the black box left upper firewall in engine bay or near the ECU)

Connect the 2 green test connectors together (on harness usually near ECU) and turn the key to ON. The relays should be clicking, solenoids and fuel pump cycling. If not check the fuses as above. Disconnect the green connectors afterwards.
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Inherited ‘86 So.California Subaru Westy. Was sitting for years. Reply with quote

Subarus have a fuel pressure regulator located at the left rear of the intake manifold
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Inherited ‘86 So.California Subaru Westy. Was sitting for years. Reply with quote

was sitting for years.....

first thing is drain all the old gas and dispose, fill with fresh gas.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Inherited ‘86 So.California Subaru Westy. Was sitting for years. Reply with quote

Isn't Waldo a mobile mechanic in S. cA?

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Inherited ‘86 So.California Subaru Westy. Was sitting for years. Reply with quote

No, unless things have changed from when he had another samba handle and included his location.

Now, markswagen is in San Diego and if that's close to the OP, I wouldn't hesitate to give him a call. And, OP- pics so we can all be jealous!
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Inherited ‘86 So.California Subaru Westy. Was sitting for years. Reply with quote

Tobo wrote:
My favorite uncle passed. By inherited I mean I bought it from the estate.

Uncle had the conversion done by his neighbor Mike in Costa Mesa. Mikes dad did these Subaru conversions in Germany and when Mikes dad flew over from Germany and showed him how to do it- it was on my uncle’s 86 westfalia van. Uncle before he passed mentioned Mike had since moved.

Had it towed to my dad’s driveway. It won’t start. Fuel relay clicks but voltmeter says no power to pump. ordered 2 more fuel pump relays. Started replacing rubber fuel lines and fuel filter. Can confirm that fuel line to pump has fuel, and fuel pump runs when given 12v direct.

1. Anyone know where the fuel pressure sensor and the pressure sensor relay is on a Subaru conversion? I don’t see it on the engine where my Subaru Haynes manual says it should be, (has empty bolt holes) and I don’t see it where the vw Haynes manual says it should be. I can’t find them. I followed the fuel line from fuel filter to engine compartment and afaict it looks like it goes to splitter then to each cylinder.
The + wire from fuel pump goes into a wiring sleeve protector with a bunch other wires. Things are old and brittle. I’m scared of wires breaking or coming disconnected. I also see stray wires occasionally. This is also concerning.

2. Am I going to have a problem smogging this Subaru powered vanagon in California?

3. I remember my uncle talking about some fuse that blows out due to Subaru and makes van not run. Does anyone familiar with Subaru conversions know what fuse this might be? And where it might be?

4. Anyone know of a shop by Long Beach or Huntington Beach (or better yet mobile mechanic) in SoCal that specializes in VW Subaru Conversions or experienced working on Vw Subaru conversions in case I can’t get it to start?

Oh, and Tobo, helpful to see a reply on here from you so we know our advice is being looked at otherwise we conclude you no longer are looking for a solution so we abandon the thread

....and if you did solve it, please post up the solution so othera can benefit

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Inherited ‘86 So.California Westy. Was sitting for years. Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:

Pretty critical data if you intend to smog it in CA. CARB (California Air Resources Board) is very restrictive on these conversions..

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Inherited ‘86 So.California Subaru Westy. Was sitting for years. Reply with quote

I think Waldo is in southern Arizona, and very much second contacting Markswagen for service near San Diego.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tobo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Inherited ‘86 So.California Westy. Was sitting for years. Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:

I am unsure. The Subaru Haynes manual is for Subaru Legacy 1990-1999
Which means either 2.2L sohc or 2.5L dohc according to the manual.
Edit gotta figure out how to post photos
Pops says it’s an EJ22

Last edited by Tobo on Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Tobo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Inherited ‘86 So.California Subaru Westy. Was sitting for years. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Tobo on Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Inherited ‘86 So.California Subaru Westy. Was sitting for years. Reply with quote

Quote:

Yes
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Inherited ‘86 So.California Subaru Westy. Was sitting for years. Reply with quote

EJ22E, probably phase 1 being in CA.

Last edited by shagginwagon83 on Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Inherited ‘86 So.California Subaru Westy. Was sitting for years. Reply with quote

Tobo wrote:
https://imgur.com/a/o3FtDLW

Looks like your typical EJ. Could be the 2.0, 2.2, or 2.5. Look behind the alternator there should be a raised stamping that says something like EJ25. The numbers after the EJ are the displacement. So EJ25 would be a 2.5L.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Inherited ‘86 So.California Subaru Westy. Was sitting for years. Reply with quote

That looks like a ej22 but there are different versions of those as well depending on the year. Get the ECU model number, that could help you narrow down the year.
It appears that it is a KEP kit so that will help you with getting it smogged in CA. If you can find a KEP placard in the engine compartment that will help you greatly with smog, that is the executive order golden ticket.
Look in the black box in the engine compartment, they often wire in fuses there with the modified wiring harness.

Last edited by syncrodoka on Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Tobo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Inherited ‘86 So.California Subaru Westy. Was sitting for years. Reply with quote

looks like ej22
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Inherited ‘86 So.California Subaru Westy. Was sitting for years. Reply with quote

Looks like EJ22 phase 1 from the heads?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Tobo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Inherited ‘86 So.California Subaru Westy. Was sitting for years. Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
I think Waldo is in southern Arizona, and very much second contacting Markswagen for service near San Diego.

San Diego is about 2 hours drive south of me. Sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: