Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Back seat strap'79
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJPJMJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:03 am    Post subject: Back seat strap'79 Reply with quote

What does the strap in the back seat hook to for holding the back seat down? That reddish piece of hardware in the photo has something to do with I guess, but the strap doesn't reach. I guess I'm missing a piece. Anyone know?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2wagonhos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Back seat strap'79 Reply with quote

I believe that is used to hold the seat back down when you fold it forward.
DJPJMJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Back seat strap'79 Reply with quote

Thanks, I wonder what I'm missing though, as there is nothing to hook the strap to. The hook falls a good 3 or 4 inches short of that red metal part on the bottom.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Back seat strap'79 Reply with quote

Here's a link to the owner's manual for 1979 model: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/79bug.php

Page 21 shows the instructions for how the back seat hold down strap works:

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
DJPJMJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Back seat strap'79 Reply with quote

Thanks for that. Something is wrong here, my cable end doesn't look like that, or have anywhere to hook to. Funny because it looks original. If anyone has a pic of this area from a '79 with a working latch, it would be much appreciated. Minor detail but bugging me.
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Back seat strap'79 Reply with quote

Yeah, on regular "hard top" Beetles there is a metal support rail that runs underneath the bottom front end of the lower seat cushion -- if you pull out the lower seat cushion, it's easy to see. The hook on the hold down strap fits into the upper lip on that metal rail. Not sure how convertibles are configured in that area, though -- ?? In your pic, the front of the lower seat cushion looks different than what I've seen in other Beetles -- possibly like it's 2 separate pieces or something - ??

In any case, I'd recommend you pull up/out the lower seat cushion (and maybe consider removing the lower kick panels too, if necessary) to see if that gives you better visibility of what that strap hook is supposed to connect to. Pretty sure you'll be able to figure it out if you poke around a bit more -- good luck! Smile

BMFBMF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Back seat strap'79 Reply with quote

baldessariclan wrote:
The hook on the hold down strap fits into the upper lip on that metal rail.

Interesting, does this mean that you can only use the strap if the bottom seat cushion is not in situ?
1971 Stock South African Beetle 1300 : My mom's european "Thin Chick" spec. Completely stock with torsion bar front, swingaxle rear, smooth hubs, single MC, 40 mm shoes, 31PICT3 carb and 5 bolt drums all round, currently Running a 1976 SF:AS engine with the original SF:AD engine overhauled in a box, waiting to go back in one day.
DJPJMJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Back seat strap'79 Reply with quote

I don't think so, the manual says " Do not drive with the rear seat cushion removed and the backrest folded down." I don't see a place to hook to with the cushion removed anyway. Took a detailed pic of that folded piece of metal at the bottom of the seat last night, maybe a smaller mating strap or hook is supposed to be there.
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Back seat strap'79 Reply with quote

BMFBMF wrote:
baldessariclan wrote:
The hook on the hold down strap fits into the upper lip on that metal rail.

Interesting, does this mean that you can only use the strap if the bottom seat cushion is not in situ?

No, you can slip that hook (on end of the strap) right into and out of that rail lip with the lower seat cushion in place -- no need to remove it. The lip at top of the metal rail sits higher than lower frame of the seat cushion, so you just need to press in a little bit on the unsupported vinyl face of the cushion to get the hook in and out. Bit hard to visualize, but easy in practice once you've done it a time or two.

Here's a pic from the gallery, showing the strap hook in the rail (at yellow arrow):

baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Back seat strap'79 Reply with quote

DJPJMJ wrote:
I don't think so, the manual says " Do not drive with the rear seat cushion removed and the backrest folded down." I don't see a place to hook to with the cushion removed anyway. Took a detailed pic of that folded piece of metal at the bottom of the seat last night, maybe a smaller mating strap or hook is supposed to be there.

Yes, that's where the hold down strap hook should fit on your car -- lip of the hook on the strap should face forward to mate with that red bracket.

It sort of looks (in your original pic) like you have a hook on end of that strap, but the lip on it may have been bent out somewhat(?). You might want to try "beating it back into shape", or replace it with another. And if the strap is too short, then you'd likely want to replace it as well -- they're often pretty much "rotted out" from sun exposure over the years.

Here's a pic of the hook (on the right) that came with the straps on older cars. Think they used a simplified hook and strap setup in later models (once again, kind of like what's shown in your original pic):

DJPJMJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Back seat strap'79 Reply with quote

Thanks for all that but no luck. You can kinda hook in to the metal tab with the hook, but only if I disconnect the strap so it reaches. The strap would need to be a good 10" longer to reach. Weird, can't imagine it shrunk that much and pretty sure it's original. Strap I have is a little under 30".
DJPJMJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Back seat strap'79 Reply with quote

There you go I guess it hooks in like in the pic, seems to work. My problem is my strap is only 30" and doesn't reach. Wolfsburg West replacement is 42", guess I need a new one, or lengthen my existing one.
meranda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Back seat strap'79 Reply with quote

Here is back parcel tray photo,it's the same as I have on my 71 Super

1974 Porsche 911S Targa
1968 1500 Beetle A Project!
Past Garage fillers dozens of type1 &type3 VWs
Jaguar Mk5 & XK120
Lancia Flavia Coupe
Alfa Guilia sedan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: