Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best options for pop out window kit?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:54 am    Post subject: Best options for pop out window kit? Reply with quote

Are jbugs and or so cal good options? Do they pop up (pun intended) for sale on here often? Or are there other sites you recommend ?

For reference: https://www.jbugs.com/product/113898400B.html

Thanks all!
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Best options for pop out window kit? Reply with quote

The "late" popout windows fit '65 and up. They were practically standard equipment in '68 and '69. $599 plus shipping for a repro set? I've sold dozens of sets at swap meets over the years for way less than that. I kept the best for myself.

They go for around $200 a set used at swap meets. Make sure it's a complete set with inner and out seals and the latches.

Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Best options for pop out window kit? Reply with quote

Seems most of 'em show up in '68 and up on TheSamba Classifieds.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2653723

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2669417

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2609264

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2606759

Silver65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Best options for pop out window kit? Reply with quote

Dusty1 wrote:
The "late" popout windows fit '65 and up. They were practically standard equipment in '68 and '69. $599 plus shipping for a repro set? I've sold dozens of sets at swap meets over the years for way less than that. I kept the best for myself.

They go for around $200 a set used at swap meets. Make sure it's a complete set with inner and out seals and the latches.

Awesome! Thank you so much. I actually ended up emailing a couple of them.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Best options for pop out window kit? Reply with quote

Dusty1 wrote:
I've sold dozens of sets...I kept the best for myself.

So you've sold all the crappier ones... Eh?

Dusty1 wrote:
Make sure it's a complete set with inner and out seals and the latches.

The chrome trim on most OE pop-out windows have been nicked/dented/scratched/fouled by an errant D/A sanding disc, or otherwise discolored and ratted out.

Who sells a nice brand-new set of chromes to restore a set of OE pop-out glass? Idea
Silver65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Best options for pop out window kit? Reply with quote

Are the seals actually necessary? Couldn't I just buy new seals?
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Best options for pop out window kit? Reply with quote

Silver65 wrote:
Are the seals actually necessary? Couldn't I just buy new seals?

Another point I was going to make; all seals of OE origin are in all likelihood, completely cracked and rotted. So, yes, you could - and will - need to buy new seals anyway...and the pinch welt. So, no, seals aren't necessary.
Silver65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Best options for pop out window kit? Reply with quote

$250 isn't a bad price but Im on east coast, I assume shipping will kill me lol
Silver65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Best options for pop out window kit? Reply with quote

Dusty1 wrote:

Wanna sell me one of the good ones? Laughing
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Best options for pop out window kit? Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Dusty1 wrote:
I've sold dozens of sets...I kept the best for myself.

So you've sold all the crappier ones... Eh?

Well... yeah. What would you do?

Although...

Having driven crusty old worn out VWs for my entire life I wouldn't have it any other way. I save my worst parts for my own ride. Comfort and reliability are for (fuzzy little kitty cats)(sissies). I especially enjoy driving on cold rainy nights not knowin' when my worn out engine parts are gonna wheeze their last gasp.

Drive a show winning VW? I walk funny when I clench my ass that tight. Twisted Evil

I don't recall getting more than $100 a set, ever. That's with the inner windlace, the rubber outer seals, the latches and sometimes even the hinge covers. I call that a bargain.

Silver65 wrote:
Dusty1 wrote:

Wanna sell me one of the good ones? Laughing

Near as I can tell I have the one really good set left, part of The Permanent Collection. I set them aside because they have (had?) perfect rubber, both black and white windlace and get this... somewhere in my stash I have black. white and even chrome hinge covers.

My buddy Joel in New York always has two or three sets on hand. Hey Joel, you gettin' this? Cool

Silver65 wrote:
$250 isn't a bad price but Im on east coast, I assume shipping will kill me lol

Where at, in general? We may be neighbors. Cool

Shipping shouldn't be that bad. Do you know how hard you have to whack a popout to break it? I've seen broken ones. They're usually in VWs that have bullet holes.

Silver65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Best options for pop out window kit? Reply with quote

Im in Connecticut! About 1.5hours outside of NYC.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Best options for pop out window kit? Reply with quote

The aftermarket ones are a terrible quality. And the gaskets straight up suck. Get a used set and you will be on better path.

Last edited by toxicavenger70 on Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Best options for pop out window kit? Reply with quote

Your nearest all-makes junk yard has them for $50/pr. You pull.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: