Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas Pedal Questions - '63 Bug
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:37 am    Post subject: Gas Pedal Questions - '63 Bug Reply with quote

The gas pedal on my '63 isn't as stable as it should be. I found this photo posted in another discussion. I'm missing the spring indicated by the red arrow.

When I replace it, what is supposed to hold it in place? I can't tell from any photos I've found. A C-clip? Push nut? Is the spring itself designed to grasp the groove in the rod and hold itself in place?

What is the purpose of the bracket hole indicated by the green arrow? All of the photos I've found don't show anything attached, but I can't imagine VW would use that bracket unless something was supposed to attach there. It seems it would have been used to help stabilize the left side of the pedal.

Thanks for the help!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
tcoop1100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Pedal Questions - '63 Bug Reply with quote

Wear (and slop) is pretty common with that setup. You may want to consider this:

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111721615

The spring just clips into the groove, per your photo. As far as I know that bracket add-on has no purpose (kinda like an appendix... Confused ).
There are aftermarket setups to upgrade the stock linkage but I have no experience with those. Maybe someone who knows will chime in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Pedal Questions - '63 Bug Reply with quote

OldSchoolVW's wrote:
When I replace it, what is supposed to hold it in place? Is the spring itself designed to grasp the groove in the rod and hold itself in place?

Yes, the spring has a feature on one end that's designed to snap into that groove and keep it in place. You can see it at the upper right in that repair kit from Wolfsburg West linked in the previous post.

Quote:
What is the purpose of the bracket hole indicated by the green arrow?

Not positive, but that the hole might be needed when the same pedal is used in a right-hand drive car???
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Pedal Questions - '63 Bug Reply with quote

Indeed, rcooled is correct! After searching for images of RHD pedal assemblies, I found that the rod attaches in the left bracket hole (green arrow). Mystery solved!

I called WW regarding the the accelerator repair kit (thanks tcoop!) and they confirmed that the spring in that kit is sold separately as P/N 211259283 and that it secures itself as rcooled described.

Thanks to both of you for the assist!

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Pedal Questions - '63 Bug Reply with quote

I rebuilt the pedal assembly on my '64 and upgraded the clutch shaft and the throttle pedal linkage. Very smooth action with no issues.

Please check out the kits that are available. Highly recommended.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: