Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help! Digifant wiring into Aircooled Vanagon??
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Zodiac_11030
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Digifant wiring into Aircooled Vanagon?? Reply with quote

Still stumped, unless I have a bad ECU, but I have to admit, wiring is not my strong suit.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Digifant wiring into Aircooled Vanagon?? Reply with quote

Do you have a Vanagon Bentley manual or Vanagon Haynes manual?

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Digifant wiring into Aircooled Vanagon?? Reply with quote

If wiring is not your strong suit, you have a huge learning curve ahead. Others have tried to point out that the digifant harness and ECU for the most part are plug and play to the engine. As mentioned all you need to connect to the vanagon electrical system is minimal.

Your pictures show a pretty hacked up harness. It’s unlikely the ECU unless you accidentally smoked it by connecting it up wrong. I’d try reaching out to FAS and see what they can provide, harness, ECU, support.

I did one of these conversions and am fluent in VW wiring. I had to search the internet to find a wiring diagram that matched my ECU. It was not from a car sold in the US. Without the internet, I would have been SOL.

If this van is for you, another option would be to look at DIY Auto Tune/ Megasquirt. Build your own custom system. Would be a better outcome vs the ancient Digifant system. You likely don’t have the skill set yet to do that. Either way it’s solvable, but probably more than us internet mechanics can get you going. I’d be surprised if you could find an import shop that would take it on.

If FAS can help, they likely would have documentation of how to connect their harness. Sorry I’m not more positive.
The_Zodiac_11030
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Digifant wiring into Aircooled Vanagon?? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:

I do yes. I have one from when I bought the van about 15 years ago that goes to original 2.0 engine. Everything is wired to the double relay to the driver side of the firewall in that regard. I think what’s confusing me is their wiring that was left tapping into the other can it was in. There’s the FP relay box with wiring running to a 3rd relay. It looks like a mess in the pics, but I have since cleaned it up a bit. I’m confused by the term “triggered power”, and I’m just confused in general, and not the best with things that are tedious to me, that may not seem to tedious to others. Following wiring diagrams has been a bit confusing as well.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Digifant wiring into Aircooled Vanagon?? Reply with quote

You would need a factory manual for the donor your engine came from. That is the more important part of the picture. You should be able to find the engine number top center of the block where the cylinder head attaches. Goggle the engine number and see what comes back. That should get you in the ball park.

The ECU number can also be searched online to determine the vehicle if its the correct ECU. But as I said with the exception of just a few wires, the ECU and harness should completely plug into your engine.
The_Zodiac_11030
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Digifant wiring into Aircooled Vanagon?? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
You would need a factory manual for the donor your engine came from. That is the more important part of the picture. You should be able to find the engine number top center of the block where the cylinder head attaches. Goggle the engine number and see what comes back. That should get you in the ball park.

The ECU number can also be searched online to determine the vehicle if its the correct ECU. But as I said with the exception of just a few wires, the ECU and harness should completely plug into your engine.

It’s a 1988 1.8 head according to the stamp. The block is a 2.0 ABA. The ECU is digifant 2 part 037-906-023AH which matches the year of the head. What I’m confused about… There’s the 2 relays in the box, and they had a 3rd relay with cut wires which is how I think their van was wired in. Am I supposed to do the same? Come from the 2 relays in the box to another relay?

Thanks for the help
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Digifant wiring into Aircooled Vanagon?? Reply with quote

So you are not doing the conversion? You ended up with this van as a non runner. There is no way I can tell what the PO had in mind.

The Vanagon double relay powered the fuel pump and the fuel injection. To make it more troublesome is the white wires after all these years are unmarked.

To do a proper install at this point, I’d recommend making a new power harness with 2 relays. One to power the ignition and ECU and one to power the original fuel pump. For safety though you need the fuel pump to run only while cranking and once the engine is running. It should be designed so that if the engine quits on its own, the fuel pump must shutoff. It’s possible that the ECU has a provision for powering a fuel pump relay that would use an rpm signal to energize the fuel pump relay. To me it’s quite simple. I’d still need an accurate wiring diagram from the donor.

You can’t go by the head casting number. You need the stamped number off the block.

Assuming the correct ECU in hand did you google it to see what model VW it fits? I would not attempt to reuse the double relay. I believe they are NLA and expensive. I’d try to use 40 amp fog light relays instead. Another member posted a pin out, but you’d have to verify each pin wire with an ohm meter to be sure the pinout diagram matched your harness.

The likelihood you will figure this out is low. I hope you can prove me wrong. I’d expect to spend 16 hours to figure out what you have and it still may not start, run, and drive. That’s like $2400 so plan accordingly. Because I don’t know you or the van, if you called the shop, we’d likely pass. From the mess I see, there’s likely another 3 days of work. And that would be spread out over a month or two. So, I’ve given you some ideas, but unable to give you specifics because no one but the person that did the conversion originally would have any idea what they were thinking. Hope you got it for a song. Good luck.
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Digifant wiring into Aircooled Vanagon?? Reply with quote

Agree, there is just too much here to be a lot of help. It's like asking How do I build a house? Try getting down to How do I mortise a hinge? and you'll have better luck.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Digifant wiring into Aircooled Vanagon?? Reply with quote

The_Zodiac_11030 wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:

I do yes. I have one from when I bought the van about 15 years ago that goes to original 2.0 engine. Everything is wired to the double relay to the driver side of the firewall in that regard. I think what’s confusing me is their wiring that was left tapping into the other can it was in. There’s the FP relay box with wiring running to a 3rd relay. It looks like a mess in the pics, but I have since cleaned it up a bit. I’m confused by the term “triggered power”, and I’m just confused in general, and not the best with things that are tedious to me, that may not seem to tedious to others. Following wiring diagrams has been a bit confusing as well.

Caveat: I'm finding it hard to know what electrical or other work has been done on the conversion.

If you know how to use a digital multi meter.....

With key to ignition on, measure IF ~ 12 volts is present at factory Vanagon black "15" aka "ignition" or "coil" wire in engine bay. Please report back with results. Smile

You don't need the air cooled double relay for this conversion.

In simple terms, for a typical gas-diesel engine conversion, "all" the Vanagon does is supply:

- constant negative (aka "ground")

- switched positive from ignition switch

- constant positive from battery/alternator

- pressurized fuel supply

- coolant

afaik, your conversion will use 2 relays. It sounds-looks to me like someone re used a WBX double relay box along with relays for the conversion. Done correctly, that's ok.

ECU "triggers" = ECU "controls".

e.g. ECU controls DC negative to coil "side" of fuel pump relay.

Relay diagram example

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/user/Simplified_relay_diagram_Lg.png

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN

Last edited by Vanagon Nut on Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
The_Zodiac_11030
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Digifant wiring into Aircooled Vanagon?? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
So you are not doing the conversion? You ended up with this van as a non runner. There is no way I can tell what the PO had in mind.

The Vanagon double relay powered the fuel pump and the fuel injection. To make it more troublesome is the white wires after all these years are unmarked.

To do a proper install at this point, I’d recommend making a new power harness with 2 relays. One to power the ignition and ECU and one to power the original fuel pump. For safety though you need the fuel pump to run only while cranking and once the engine is running. It should be designed so that if the engine quits on its own, the fuel pump must shutoff. It’s possible that the ECU has a provision for powering a fuel pump relay that would use an rpm signal to energize the fuel pump relay. To me it’s quite simple. I’d still need an accurate wiring diagram from the donor.

You can’t go by the head casting number. You need the stamped number off the block.

Assuming the correct ECU in hand did you google it to see what model VW it fits? I would not attempt to reuse the double relay. I believe they are NLA and expensive. I’d try to use 40 amp fog light relays instead. Another member posted a pin out, but you’d have to verify each pin wire with an ohm meter to be sure the pinout diagram matched your harness.

The likelihood you will figure this out is low. I hope you can prove me wrong. I’d expect to spend 16 hours to figure out what you have and it still may not start, run, and drive. That’s like $2400 so plan accordingly. Because I don’t know you or the van, if you called the shop, we’d likely pass. From the mess I see, there’s likely another 3 days of work. And that would be spread out over a month or two. So, I’ve given you some ideas, but unable to give you specifics because no one but the person that did the conversion originally would have any idea what they were thinking. Hope you got it for a song. Good luck.

No, I’ve had my van for nearly 15 years. I wanted to upgrade to an inline 4 conversion, and found this complete swap that came out of a running Vanagon. I am doing it myself, I mounted it myself, I’m just having trouble with the wiring is all. I don’t really see it costing $2400 to get it right. I have a bit of an ADD issue, some simple tasks are troublesome for me. If this was an Aircooled motor, or a 1Z/AHU/ALH motor, I’d have no trouble at all. I’ve never put my hands on an inline 4 from the 80s/early 90s, but I rebuilt my own transaxle, did a top end, big bore kit rebuild on my 2.0l. It burnt a valve last road trip, so I was just wanting to make better power/fuel mileage eventually going M-TDI. I think I’ll be alright, and I’ll prove ya wrong. I’m just over analyzing the situation. Was hoping to get some advice from some folks who have been in my position, and was shown what wires go where etc.. but I’ll take your last post as motivation to get it figured out myself. 🤙 Very Happy
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Digifant wiring into Aircooled Vanagon?? Reply with quote

The box with the 2 relays are part of the fuel injection harness so I would get them working as they are.

Mark
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Digifant wiring into Aircooled Vanagon?? Reply with quote

I’m just giving you an idea of what you are saving. $ The person that pulled it should have marked and labeled everything including photos. A video of it running a plus. They did you a disservice. Its solvable, but going to take some time. As I said, hope you prove me wrong.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Digifant wiring into Aircooled Vanagon?? Reply with quote

The_Zodiac_11030 wrote:
No, I’ve had my van for nearly 15 years. I wanted to upgrade to an inline 4 conversion, and found this complete swap that came out of a running Vanagon. I am doing it myself, I mounted it myself, I’m just having trouble with the wiring is all. I don’t really see it costing $2400 to get it right. I have a bit of an ADD issue, some simple tasks are troublesome for me. If this was an Aircooled motor, or a 1Z/AHU/ALH motor, I’d have no trouble at all. I’ve never put my hands on an inline 4 from the 80s/early 90s, but I rebuilt my own transaxle, did a top end, big bore kit rebuild on my 2.0l. It burnt a valve last road trip, so I was just wanting to make better power/fuel mileage eventually going M-TDI. I think I’ll be alright, and I’ll prove ya wrong. I’m just over analyzing the situation. Was hoping to get some advice from some folks who have been in my position, and was shown what wires go where etc.. but I’ll take your last post as motivation to get it figured out myself. 🤙 Very Happy

If needed, a tip on following the Bentley wiring diagrams:

on a given current track: the boxed number on end of line (wire) indicates where that current track continues.

e.g. boxed "10" at end of line on current track 7: look at current track 10 for a line with boxed "7".

You are way ahead of where I was when I did my totally DIY type air to water cooled conversion on my '81. I didn't know how to read Bentley wiring diagrams let alone do any amount of MIG, exhaust building etc etc. You'll get this done.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
The_Zodiac_11030
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Digifant wiring into Aircooled Vanagon?? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
The_Zodiac_11030 wrote:

on a given current track: the boxed number on end of line (wire) indicates where that current track continues.

e.g. boxed "10" at end of line on current track 7: look at current track 10 for a line with boxed "7".

You are way ahead of where I was when I did my totally DIY type air to water cooled conversion on my '81. I didn't know how to read Bentley wiring diagrams let alone do any amount of MIG, exhaust building etc etc. You'll get this done.

Neil.

I’m 4 days in, but I thought I would get it done sooner. I believe I’m dealing with the fuel pump/ignition/injector wiring from the 2.1 Vanagon it came out of, and the wiring of the inline 4. The fuel pump relays, box, wiring etc.. is all identical to a later model Vanagon. The shielding for that wiring is grey, the rest of the ECU shielding is black, and the ECU part # matches an 88-92 Jetta. I’m curious if I should delete all that and start from scratch, or keep it there. I’ve read that folks have ran all their wiring through one relay, but yeah, this stuff is foreign to me, as I’ve owned one 2.1 about 10 years ago but that was short lived, and I’ve always shied away from early VW gassers.
The_Zodiac_11030
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Digifant wiring into Aircooled Vanagon?? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
The_Zodiac_11030 wrote:

Neil.

This seems to be what would be in a later model Vanagon which is tied into the ICM/ECU.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Digifant wiring into Aircooled Vanagon?? Reply with quote

The_Zodiac_11030 wrote:

... I believe I’m dealing with the fuel pump/ignition/injector wiring from the 2.1 Vanagon it came out of, and the wiring of the inline 4. The fuel pump relays, box, wiring etc.. is all identical to a later model Vanagon. The shielding for that wiring is grey, the rest of the ECU shielding is black, and the ECU part # matches an 88-92 Jetta. I’m curious if I should delete all that and start from scratch, or keep it there. I’ve read that folks have ran all their wiring through one relay, ....

This seems to be what would be in a later model Vanagon which is tied into the ICM/ECU.

Yes. And it appears each relay has 4 pins which helps.

So various 1.8 harness wires were cut and joined to relevant WBX harness wires to make the ECU/engine harness?

I looked again at your pics. Some of the black covered wiring is the original air cooled wiring.

If the wire joins are done properly it should work fine and last some years. However, if you can find a good used 1.8 harness that might be best. As per crazyvwvanmans' comment, you could re use the WBX relays, relay holder, box and junction box.

I'm curious if the cut-exposed end wires were cut-disconnected to remove the conversion. Are they for switched, constant positives, grounds, fuel pump.

I haven't looked at the Digifant II wiring diagram but in theory, you could make that engine run with just a fuel pump relay. However, I bet there's safety reasons behind why the ECU (and loads like FI's) are controlled with a relay.

Make sure to fuse wires were appropriate. The Digifant II wiring might normally have fuses.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
The_Zodiac_11030
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Digifant wiring into Aircooled Vanagon?? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
The_Zodiac_11030 wrote:

... I believe I’m dealing with the fuel pump/ignition/injector wiring from the 2.1 Vanagon it came out of, and the wiring of the inline 4. The fuel pump relays, box, wiring etc.. is all identical to a later model Vanagon. The shielding for that wiring is grey, the rest of the ECU shielding is black, and the ECU part # matches an 88-92 Jetta. I’m curious if I should delete all that and start from scratch, or keep it there. I’ve read that folks have ran all their wiring through one relay, ....

Yes. And it appears each relay has 4 pins which helps.

So various 1.8 harness wires were cut and joined to relevant WBX harness wires to make the ECU/engine harness?

I looked again at your pics. Some of the black covered wiring is the original air cooled wiring.

If the wire joins are done properly it should work fine and last some years. However, if you can find a good used 1.8 harness that might be best. As per crazyvwvanmans' comment, you could re use the WBX relays, relay holder, box and junction box.

I'm curious if the cut-exposed end wires were cut-disconnected to remove the conversion. Are they for switched, constant positives, grounds, fuel pump.

I haven't looked at the Digifant II wiring diagram but in theory, you could make that engine run with just a fuel pump relay. However, I bet there's safety reasons behind why the ECU (and loads like FI's) are controlled with a relay.

Make sure to fuse wires were appropriate. The Digifant II wiring might normally have fuses.

Neil.

Yes, everything was just cut, and not labeled unfortunately. There’s also a 3rd relay/plug that goes into the FP relay, and to the ICM with wires brown and red being cut. This is where my confusion starts and begins. I know it looks like a mess (looks a lot cleaner now) I was just trying to get it to fire before I put everything in its final resting place.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Digifant wiring into Aircooled Vanagon?? Reply with quote

The_Zodiac_11030 wrote:
... There’s also a 3rd relay/plug that goes into the FP relay, and to the ICM ....

WAG on that 3rd relay: DIY anti theft device to fuel pump circuit?

I don't think Digifant II uses a relay in O2 heater circuit.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Digifant wiring into Aircooled Vanagon?? Reply with quote

circled in red, is that connected to something, or is that just a mess of wires connected together.
and circled in green, are they joined together, where does the other end go ?

personally l would pull out anything that is clearly not factory wiring, you can easily get very confused looking at bad previous owners wiring.
once you only have factory wiring in there, it might make more sense.
they yellow plug, that's the remaining half that was plugged into the double relay.

619 201 0310
The_Zodiac_11030
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Digifant wiring into Aircooled Vanagon?? Reply with quote

markswagen wrote:
circled in red, is that connected to something, or is that just a mess of wires connected together.
and circled in green, are they joined together, where does the other end go ?

personally l would pull out anything that is clearly not factory wiring, you can easily get very confused looking at bad previous owners wiring.
once you only have factory wiring in there, it might make more sense.
they yellow plug, that's the remaining half that was plugged into the double relay.

In red, that is the coolant temp sensor that goes to the black connector. Green was the secondary wire that went from the original alternator to the starter. I’ve got fuel, no spark. Hall sender has signal… I’m wondering if I have a bad coil.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: