Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ppg Omni single stage
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan2973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:30 am    Post subject: Ppg Omni single stage Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I have finally decided to purchase the paint for my 1958 beetle that I am restoring. I want to shoot it with single stage black. How many gallons exactly will I need? And also besides the paint activator and reducer, what else will I need to complete the job?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Ppg Omni single stage Reply with quote

Buy everything locally and follow their advice/product line.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ppg Omni single stage Reply with quote

Dan2973 wrote:
Hello everyone. I have finally decided to purchase the paint for my 1958 beetle that I am restoring. I want to shoot it with single stage black. How many gallons exactly will I need? And also besides the paint activator and reducer, what else will I need to complete the job?
The rule of thumb is 6-8 Oz per PANNELl per COAT of ready-to-shoot (RTS) material. Your gun settings and painting style will determine the actual amount of material used. On a Bug you will likely be closer to 6 Oz.

- Door and area = 1 Pannel
- Hood and area = 1 Pannel
- Enginr Lid and area = 1 Pannel
- Fender and area = 1 Pannel
- Roof and pillars = 1 Pannel
- Buy more than you think you need, but not too much

Get SLOW or VERY SLOW reducer AND activator since the weather is warming up. PPG Omni is low-end paint and has poor coverage. You will end up using much more than you would with higher-quality paint. Suitable alternatives are Motobase or Wanda. Both carry single-stage paint, are high quality, provide excellent coverage, and are reasonably priced.

...and as mentioned above, read the Technical Data Sheet (TDS) and follow the manufacturers' opinion.

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ppg Omni single stage Reply with quote

I would suggest anything other than Omni, it is the lowest of quality and covers like tinted water. When buying paint, buy it all at once for color match and if doing a complete get the slowest reducer and hardener you can. The guys at the paint counter can be hit or miss, some know what they're talking about and others barely could tell you the difference between the paint lines.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Dan2973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ppg Omni single stage Reply with quote

Really. I have heard good experiences with Omni plus
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Ppg Omni single stage Reply with quote

PPG Omni is about the only thing I can get locally in single stage urethane. I’ve never really painted with anything else. The urethane seems to hold up well. With DIY painting, you can pretty much count on color sanding, so you will likely need more than 2 coats to have enough thickness to color sand without burning through. I have found it otherwise easy to use, but I imagine better quality paint just has more paint in the paint and covers better.
Dan2973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Ppg Omni single stage Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
PPG Omni is about the only thing I can get locally in single stage urethane. I’ve never really painted with anything else. The urethane seems to hold up well. With DIY painting, you can pretty much count on color sanding, so you will likely need more than 2 coats to have enough thickness to color sand without burning through. I have found it otherwise easy to use, but I imagine better quality paint just has more paint in the paint and covers better.

Thanks man, yeah i could only get omni as well. My plan is to prime with filler/surfacer primer block it out and than paint it. I have 1 gallon of the MTK 9300 Black single stage . Do you think that would be enough for the car?
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Ppg Omni single stage Reply with quote

Dan2973 wrote:
orwell84 wrote:

Thanks man, yeah i could only get omni as well. My plan is to prime with filler/surfacer primer block it out and than paint it. I have 1 gallon of the MTK 9300 Black single stage . Do you think that would be enough for the car?

If you are going to use black SS paint I recommend you contact Southern Polyurethane (SPI). They make an excellent and affordable black SS and they will ship it free to your door.
https://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/

Call them and talk to the tech guys. They make excellent Epoxy, clear, 2K primer, paints, and supporting chemicals. You may also want to check out their forum for guidance and questions.
http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.php

I am using their epoxy and am very satisfied with the products and the support they provide. They only make a few colors of paint, but not what I want. If not for that I would be buying my paint from them as well.

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Ppg Omni single stage Reply with quote

To be honest, there are a lot of mail order options. Summit, Eastwood, big names like that I would avoid. It's all cheap paint. SPI and Tamco are trusted sources with years of reviews backing them up. Some shops will mail any paint, I know one around New Haven will ship Glasurit products. It's all a game. Black single stage shouldn't be terrible with Omni. The problem with a cheaper paint is the lack of UV protection and less toner.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Ppg Omni single stage Reply with quote

I've had black Omni single stage on my 62 for 12 years and it is tough paint and covered well. The car looks terrible as I was completely inexperienced and didn't know enough about prep and gun settings, but the paint itself was not bad. I've since used it for lots of my construction equipment and it wears well and goes on thick. With the right prep it should be fine for a driver quality paint job
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Ppg Omni single stage Reply with quote

I've used Omni successfully many times. I also use Summit's line of epoxy and 2K with great results. The epoxy mixes 1:1, so you get a better value than 4:1 epoxies. It dries quicker than some other epoxies I've used and is very durable. The Summit 2K primer is the best I've used. It goes on thick and sands very well. You can shoot straight over it without sealer.

One thing I have noticed with regards to black Omni, is that it isn't a true black. It seems to have almost a little tinge of brown to it. It's just not as deep as some of the more expensive blacks that are available.

Kind of hard to tell from the photo due to all the dirt on the hood, but the hood was painted in black Omni and the fenders are factory black. If you're doing a whole car, you wouldn't really be able to tell.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ppg Omni single stage Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik wrote:

One thing I have noticed with regards to black Omni, is that it isn't a true black. It seems to have almost a little tinge of brown to it. It's just not as deep as some of the more expensive blacks that are available.

Kind of hard to tell from the photo due to all the dirt on the hood, but the hood was painted in black Omni and the fenders are factory black. If you're doing a whole car, you wouldn't really be able to tell.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That could be because there are a few different blacks. Blue black, brown black, and plain black are the most common. PPG has a 9300 and a 9000. 9000 is VW and 9300 is most others. On a mixing machine there are a few different black toners to achieve the colors as well.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: