Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VWoA underpaying technicians
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:19 pm    Post subject: VWoA underpaying technicians Reply with quote

Has anyone else heard of or currently experiencing VW dealerships in the US underpaying technicians for warranty work.

I have heard that the new VW cars are plagued with issues and are being returned to the dealerships needing large time consuming repairs. The repairs are being done sometimes taking 9 or more hours to complete. The technicians are only being paid for one hour worth of labor. This is due to mechanics getting paid by the job or what is known as flat rate. VW says the job is a one hour job. To give you an idea on the atlas brand new vehicles are leaking coolant on the showroom floor. This job basically requires the trans comes out and the subframe to do. They get paid one hour to do this. There are several major issues on the 2024 vehicles because of non VW engines being used by VW in their new cars are crap. Their answer is to not pay the technicians to repair their garbage. The technicians are carrying the burden of VW cutting corners to save money and it hit them in the ass.

I know of a technician the has already worked 51 hours this week (Thursday) evening and is getting paid for only 9 hours.

Please if you respond only do so if you know of technicians getting burned on labor rates not on the quality of VW products.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: VWoA underpaying technicians Reply with quote

pondoras box wrote:
Has anyone else heard of or currently experiencing VW dealerships in the US underpaying technicians for warranty work.

Manufacturers all under pay for warranty work. They never pay the dealerships hourly rate.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: VWoA underpaying technicians Reply with quote

I once had a job where I was classified as “Salaried Exempt”.
This meant I was guaranteed 40 hours a week but was only paid 1/2 time for overtime.
Guess how much overtime I worked?
If you guessed none, you’d be right.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: VWoA underpaying technicians Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
pondoras box wrote:

Manufacturers all under pay for warranty work. They never pay the dealerships hourly rate.

Yes this I know but it’s extremely bad now, much worse than before. This guy might clear 12 hours for 60 hours of work.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: VWoA underpaying technicians Reply with quote

I worked for a large consumer products company for 4 decades, was on salary, became leader of the analytical chemistry support department.

When I had to work late or on Saturday, Sunday, or holiday to deal with a manufacturing crisis, I got NOTHING !!!! Part of the job.....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: VWoA underpaying technicians Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I worked for a large consumer products company for 4 decades, was on salary, became leader of the analytical chemistry support department.

When I had to work late or on Saturday, Sunday, or holiday to deal with a manufacturing crisis, I got NOTHING !!!! Part of the job.....

Because you were a PROFESSIONAL and not a clock puncher. You should of also been compensated more than an hourly worker.

1974 was the last time I was paid by the hour.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: VWoA underpaying technicians Reply with quote

Quote:
I have heard

You have heard bad information
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA underpaying technicians Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Quote:
I have heard

No... alternate facts.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA underpaying technicians Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Quote:
I have heard

No... alternate facts.

Thats why I asked. Enlighten me with what these non-alternate facts are and your current involvement with the VW dealership. My "alternate facts" came from a very reliable source and I wanted to know if this was localized or a national thing going on. Once again if you don't have any real knowledge of working in an actual VW dealership within the last 3 months then your information is outdated.

The dealership I am referring to has had four technicians walk out in the last 2 months. If this only here or going on elsewhere.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA underpaying technicians Reply with quote

Unless dealerships have drastically changed from when I was a line mechanic, you get your "on the clock" hourly straight pay for every hour you are at the dealership, since warranty work flat rate time sucks you fail to accumilate extra hours beyond your clock time.

When I was a line mechanic my normal was 60-80 hours of flat rate time so I did good. If I had a week with a lot of warranty work there were times all I got was my 40 hours of straight clock time.

If you mechanic is telling you he only gets the 9 hours pay for 51 hours worked he needs to report that to the state labor department or he is feeding you a line of bovine droppings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA underpaying technicians Reply with quote

My experience is a lot older than 3 months. I worked in a flat rate body shop and I got paid the hours that were written on the estimate sheet. Most of the time it worked out fairly close but sometimes I gained a bit and sometimes I lost a bit. It depended on the skill of the estimator.

There were however fellows in the shop that made time above their estimated time consistently but their work was generally shabby. A friend of mine brought her car in for work, the Boss gave it to a "faster" guy and she brought it back because it squeaked and rattled on the road. The "Faster" guy was not asked to fix it, I was told "It's your friend, you fix it!" What I found was that only about 1/2 of the bolts were put back in on the entire front end sheet metal including the bumper. No, I did not get paid to correct it! I found another shop to work in.

A good friend of mine was a tech at a GM dealership and there was a recall on pickup seat belts. The flat rate was 0.8 hours to remove the seat, remove the upholstery, remove and install the upgrade and put it all back together. He was the fastest tech in the shop so he was given ALL of the recalls to do. After 3 weeks of going hard until his fingers bled and getting 40 hours pay for a 60 hour week he accidently tore a seat cover a bit. His boss told him it was coming off his pay. He pushed his toolbox out of the shop and across the street!

I also worked in a shop where the Boss practiced double estimating. There was a sheet the customer got and was billed from and a second one with lower labor hours we got paid from. It was taken to the labor board and we were told that on flat rate or piece work as long as we got minimum wage at the end of the job there was nothing they could do. As far as I know nothing has changed since then.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that this sort of thing is still going on but the VW dealer story sounds a bit too extreme.

Last edited by oprn on Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA underpaying technicians Reply with quote

OK, why should we care?

How many people here take their car to the dealership? The answer is none.

And if you own a late model VW, then live with your poor choice.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA underpaying technicians Reply with quote

That was harsh! Full of the milk of human kindness today aren't we?! Rolling Eyes

Last edited by oprn on Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA underpaying technicians Reply with quote

Where have you been for the past 25 years?

Big surprise that VW doesn't care about it's customers or workers.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also, the mechanics are not indentured servants... they should leave and work for independent shops.

-------------------------------------

oprn wrote:
That was harsh! Full of the milk of human kindness today aren't we?! Rolling Eyes

I just got a email stating this: "Glenn, I am writing to you in reference to the thread left in my last email, and to inform you that you are selected as one of the "Top 10 Inspiring Leaders of 2024"."

I wonder who the other 9 are.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA underpaying technicians Reply with quote

Thanks for the constructive feedback,

Glenn thanks for your unsociable and helpless comments! Not everyone is where you are in life, I am asking for a young man working and paying his way through life that does not have the life experiences that most of us have. I specifically asked to leave your opinion about the quality of VW out of the equation. I am sickened by comments about the youth today not working or expecting free handouts but if one comes to you for advice maybe try to be kind in the future! Everybody you meet is fighting something you know nothing about!

I did receive a very helpful PM but was asked to keep the individual private, but just wanted to say thank you to them for providing me with real world information.

For now I would like to keep this thread open in case someone else needs to add to this.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA underpaying technicians Reply with quote

Oh don't worry, I have zero sympathy for VW or those that buy their products. It's been 20 or more years since VW has brought anything innovative of note to the consumer. There is absolutely nothing on the showroom floor today that I would take home.

It's the technicians that I feel bad for. They have invested time into their trade and money in their tools just to get screwed over. Yes they can move on but in reality is the next place going to be any different? The dealers (and yes many of the independents too) get away with it because they ALL do it!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: VWoA underpaying technicians Reply with quote

pondoras box wrote:
Thanks for the constructive feedback,

Glenn thanks for your unsociable and helpless comments! Not everyone is where you are in life, I am asking for a young man working and paying his way through life that does not have the life experiences that most of us have. .

How does VW underpaying their tech directly hurt you? If you work for a VW dealership... change jobs. There are plenty of openings at independent shops.

Years ago I changed jobs and quickly found my boss was an A-hole and expected weekend work when I specifically asked during the interview and was told there was none. He continued to be a dick, so I started looking for another job and left 6 weeks later.

If you're not happy with your job situation... move on.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: VWoA underpaying technicians Reply with quote

pondoras box wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Quote:
I have heard

No... alternate facts.

Thats why I asked. Enlighten me with what these non-alternate facts are and your current involvement with the VW dealership. My "alternate facts" came from a very reliable source and I wanted to know if this was localized or a national thing going on. Once again if you don't have any real knowledge of working in an actual VW dealership within the last 3 months then your information is outdated.

The dealership I am referring to has had four technicians walk out in the last 2 months. If this only here or going on elsewhere.

Most anyone in the workforce for more than a year understand labor laws and why

Quote:
know of a technician the has already worked 51 hours this week (Thursday) evening and is getting paid for only 9 hours.

Isn’t worthy of discussion here

There are so many troll flags it the Consolidated United Nations Troll agenda

To start , technicians are not VWOA employees
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: VWoA underpaying technicians Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
To start , technicians are not VWOA employees

Forgot about that... they are employed by privately owned dealerships.

While VWOA might only pay 5 hours for a repair that takes 7 hours or might pay $150/hour while the dealership charges $225/hour, that doesn't matter.

Dealerships do all sorts of things like only pay mechanics a portion of the work they do. Also give senior staff first pick so the new guys only get paid for part days, there's an easy solution.

DON'T WORK AT THAT DEALERSHIP.

Most states have a Department of Labor and if an employer is breaking the law... file complaint.

https://www.propublica.org/article/new-york-workers-are-waiting-on-79-million-in-back-wages
Quote:
Saprina James was hopeful when she received a letter in 2019 about her wage theft claim against her former employer. The letter said the New York State Department of Labor had substantiated her claim and ordered Mugisha F. Sahini and his company, Riverside Line, to pay her more than $70,000 in back wages. “I was feeling good that the government was on my side, and that I would soon get paid,” she said.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: VWoA underpaying technicians Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

If you're not happy with your job situation... move on.

X2

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: