Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Improving throttle return on 28 PICT carb?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
62 Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:29 pm    Post subject: Improving throttle return on 28 PICT carb? Reply with quote

I just put my engine back in after replacing the transmission (Rancho Transaxle rocks BTW), and everything is great except the throttle return spring isn't always dropping the carb down to idle immediately after I take my foot off of the pedal.

Is there a way to improve the spring tension on a 28 PICT carb? I know the later styles of carbs have springs on the carb itself, but I don't see anywhere to put an external spring on my 28.

Thanks

62 Type 1 sunroof
64 Ghia hardtop

69 Type 1, 68 Type 1, 73 914 2.0, 76 911S Targa....all gone but not forgotten Smile
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Improving throttle return on 28 PICT carb? Reply with quote

When's the last time you cleaned and lubed the throttle cable? Same for the linkage at the pedal? Since you mentioned this was after replacing the transaxle, are you sure the cable didn't get rerouted incorrectly or is dragging on the trans?

If you need more oomph from the old style return spring, pull it off and stretch it a bit.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Improving throttle return on 28 PICT carb? Reply with quote

What muluk said but also if you have a solid wire throttle cable - If it got kinked at all while installing the engine, it can drag.

I've had one that had a kink in it near the carb side but where it passes through the throttle tube and I had to bend straight again. Or replace the cable.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Improving throttle return on 28 PICT carb? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
What muluk said but also if you have a solid wire throttle cable - If it got kinked at all while installing the engine, it can drag.

I've had one that had a kink in it near the carb side but where it passes through the throttle tube and I had to bend straight again. Or replace the cable.

^^ THIS is the stuff you need to think about.
I'll go even further and say I don't like to use old 'wire' throttle cables at all. 100% of them have been rolled up into a circle for storage, and the stiff wire remembers this shape and acts like a huge light spring and it works against your throttle return spring.
A braided throttle cable is way more neutral.

Adjust the carb with the cable disconnected, verify it works consistently, and then hook up the cable. See if that is part of the problem.

It can also be centrifugal weights in the distributor sticking a little bit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Improving throttle return on 28 PICT carb? Reply with quote

Other possible problem or added one is if you are using a throttle cable bowden tube or not to prevent the cable from cutting into the transaxle.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=400171&highlight=accelerator+bowden+tube
62 Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Improving throttle return on 28 PICT carb? Reply with quote

Ok thanks. New cable, so I don't think it's kinked but I'll check. It kinda feels like it's the shaft in the carburetor but I'll check the cable first.

62 Type 1 sunroof
64 Ghia hardtop

69 Type 1, 68 Type 1, 73 914 2.0, 76 911S Targa....all gone but not forgotten Smile
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Improving throttle return on 28 PICT carb? Reply with quote

I see people putting extra springs on 28 series carb and in fact when I bought my current''62 ragtop it had an extra external spring that was unneeded.
Before tightening the accelerator cable clamp what I do is move it rearward just the slightest bit. Maybe less than a 1/16th of an inch holding the arm its attached to. Basically just pushing the cable forward just the slightest amount while the clamp is loose. Then tighten. What this does is push the accelerator back to where you want it at idle.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Improving throttle return on 28 PICT carb? Reply with quote

thomas. wrote:
I see people putting extra springs on 28 series carb and in fact when I bought my current''62 ragtop it had an extra external spring that was unneeded.
Before tightening the accelerator cable clamp what I do is move it rearward just the slightest bit. Maybe less than a 1/16th of an inch holding the arm its attached to. Basically just pushing the cable forward just the slightest amount while the clamp is loose. Then tighten. What this does is push the accelerator back to where you want it at idle.

+1 on on both of these. I made a steel bracket for an extra return spring until I replaced the stock spring assembly and did what you said, pushing the cable back slightly before tightening the clamp.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Improving throttle return on 28 PICT carb? Reply with quote

petrol punk wrote:
thomas. wrote:

+1 on on both of these. I made a steel bracket for an extra return spring until I replaced the stock spring assembly and did what you said, pushing the cable back slightly before tightening the clamp.

Both mean forward, as in closer to the front bumper. Definitely needs to be done and one does not need or want 100% of the throttle shaft movement used. If that is done and the cable has no give to it due to being hard onto the stop on the carb, when going over a bump the transaxle mounts flex it could snap the cable.
62 Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Improving throttle return on 28 PICT carb? Reply with quote

Update - The cable (new, stock, non-braided) did have a slight kink in it, where it comes out of the tube before the carburetor. I straightened it out, and also stretched out the spring more (not sure why I didn't think of that Smile ) and now it works perfectly.

Thanks for the help.

62 Type 1 sunroof
64 Ghia hardtop

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Improving throttle return on 28 PICT carb? Reply with quote

Thanks for the update!!! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: