Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rattle can woes turning gloss into satin?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:37 pm    Post subject: Rattle can woes turning gloss into satin? Reply with quote

Has anyone fallen in love with a rattle can color but they dont have the right sheen? I want satin for some parts Im working on but Rustoleum only carries it in gloss, ive checked the entire world wide web, I could spray a satin finish over top but thats alot of ground and cost to cover, maybe some fine grit sanding? Anyone dabble in this? Not looking for perfect but don't want to waste my time and money and have something look like butt.

Suggestions?

Thanks peeps,
Phil
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Rattle can woes turning gloss into satin? Reply with quote

I have a related, although opposite issue.

I have a found a reasonably close rattle can color to L87 Pearl White, but it only come in satin (for my wheel inners). I don't want to clearcoat it to get a shine. But if there's a(nother) way to make satin shiny I'd love to know.
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Rattle can woes turning gloss into satin? Reply with quote

Phil, you don't say exactly what the item or piece is that you intend to 'rattle can'. Is it big? Round, flat, have nooks and cranny's? I suppose a lot will depend on what you're actually spraying that gloss Rustoleum onto.

As an example, I've experimented with using Rustoleum gloss black rattle can on air cleaners, and various engine tins. After letting it set up and 'harden' good (Rustoleum gloss takes much longer than other brands to dry after spraying), I've taken an ultra fine *gray* (not maroon) scotch-brite pad to lightly scuff the surfaces, then used a liquid based scratch remover such as old school Turtle Wax, or McGuire's 100 by HAND with terry cloth to buff out. I've also used 0000 ultra fine steel wool instead of the gray scotch-brite. This procedure will "cut" the gloss of the original Rustoleum rattle can coverage, but still give a semi-gloss, not quite 'satin' result. The hand buffing with the liquid scratch remover is what brings up the semi-gloss sheen. I do not 'polish' using wax after using the scratch remover.

Again, I don't know what it is you're planning to spray, or how large or small the surface is. So it might not be practical for your purposes.

Hope this is of some help to your question..

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Rattle can woes turning gloss into satin? Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
I have a related, although opposite issue.

I have a found a reasonably close rattle can color to L87 Pearl White, but it only come in satin (for my wheel inners). I don't want to clearcoat it to get a shine. But if there's a(nother) way to make satin shiny I'd love to know.

For wheels you'd ant durable ya? If price suffices I LOVE Spraymax 2k clear, its like 22 bucks on ebay, I used it for a motorcycle tank, proper prep and had almost no orange peel and its a beautiful black tank now. I did rustoleum satin black, and the 2k Spray Max clear, tons of cleaning and prep, and it looks dang near pro (in my world).
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Rattle can woes turning gloss into satin? Reply with quote

67conv wrote:
Phil, you don't say exactly what the item or piece is that you intend to 'rattle can'. Is it big? Round, flat, have nooks and cranny's? I suppose a lot will depend on what you're actually spraying that gloss Rustoleum onto.

As an example, I've experimented with using Rustoleum gloss black rattle can on air cleaners, and various engine tins. After letting it set up and 'harden' good (Rustoleum gloss takes much longer than other brands to dry after spraying), I've taken an ultra fin....

Hope this is of some help to your question..

Thanks 67! I hadn't thoguht about steel wool, Ive had good success with previous classic car builds dulling down chrome and clean surface rust off chrome, it always gave my bumpers a look I personally loved, chrome is too shiny for me, in most builds. But for the paint, I can get some scotch bright pads, Ive not seen (or noticed) the grey ones? I'll snag some and do some test painting, and If I hate it, I guess I can fall in loe with a different color that comes in satin. Over the years I've certainly learned a lot of tricks with rattle can paint and have gotten excellent results, when following the right steps, good body work, and clean clean clean clean as say they.
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Rattle can woes turning gloss into satin? Reply with quote

electronictofu wrote:
I can get some scotch bright pads, Ive not seen (or noticed) the grey ones? I'll snag some and do some test painting,

I get the gray ultra fine scotch-Brite pads at my local automotive paint jobber/supplier. They're not generally made available at the usual big box retailers. You could probably easily order some online through Amazon or ??. But be sure you're getting the real 3m product from Amazon and not a chineseum knockoff.

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: