Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

External Oil Cooler 2.0L Air Cooled
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nitramrebrab72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:16 am    Post subject: External Oil Cooler 2.0L Air Cooled Reply with quote

Looking for info on external oil coolers for a very heavy 2.0l vanagon.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: External Oil Cooler 2.0L Air Cooled Reply with quote

On the water cooled engines there is enough room to add a sandwich adapter with oil line ports between the oil filter and engine. The air cooled engine is a lot tighter in that area. You might look at installing a remote oil filter and cooler. You can find spin on adapters that replace the filter. It looks like you are not in the US. I use a company called Summit Racing and Pegasus Auto Racing. They will have what you need. You would be fabricating the mounting and lines.

Here is the down side. You are adding multiple points of failure that will result in a seized engine. I saw your other thread regarding oil temp. My suggestion would be to run a thinner synthetic oil. Not Mobile 1 unless you run Mobile 1 racing. Higher viscosity oil creates friction and that is more heat. I ran Mobile 1 20-50 in my VW race car. I was seeing 260F. Switching to Redline 30wt dropped temps 40 degrees F. No other changes.
Nitramrebrab72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: External Oil Cooler 2.0L Air Cooled Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
On the water cooled engines there is enough room to add a sandwich adapter with oil line ports between the oil filter and engine. The air cooled engine is a lot tighter in that area. You might look at installing a remote oil filter and cooler. You can find spin on adapters that replace the filter. It looks like you are not in the US. I use a company called Summit Racing and Pegasus Auto Racing. They will have what you need. You would be fabricating the mounting and lines.

Here is the down side. You are adding multiple points of failure that will result in a seized engine. I saw your other thread regarding oil temp. My suggestion would be to run a thinner synthetic oil. Not Mobile 1 unless you run Mobile 1 racing. Higher viscosity oil creates friction and that is more heat. I ran Mobile 1 20-50 in my VW race car. I was seeing 260F. Switching to Redline 30wt dropped temps 40 degrees F. No other changes.

Yes I totally agree with you on the external oil cooler. I looked at it last summer and that is what put me off . Going to order a new pressure relief spring and go from there VW 021115421B
CarstenR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: External Oil Cooler 2.0L Air Cooled Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I've been following several posts across various sources on temperature control on air-cooled engines. At the risk of oversimplification (a place my simple mind likes to go) and a minor hijack of the thread, for us air-cooled Vanagon owners, is the solution to keeping your type IV motor from overheating possible via:

1) Making sure the factory air cooling components are working as intended
2) Using the right viscosity oil (I'm seeing 5W-30 synthetic in these posts)
3) Installing temp monitoring to keep an eye on things

Or are there additional steps that one should (not just 'could', but really 'should') take to ensure the longevity of the motor when heat is concerned?

- Aircooled Anxious in Allen Park
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: