Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need a new computer
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Need a new computer Reply with quote

Honestly.. cheap computers don't last because they use cheap parts.

So.. how much did you pay for your cell phone? And how often do you upgrade?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Need a new computer Reply with quote

The desktop unit in use is a dell, purchased it in 2013, Windows on it. The last two laptops purchased were used refurbished business class Latitude's. Still cranking along. Next one will be similar as the fellow whom does the refurb on them knows the PC's. They do everything I want. One is like 5 or 6 yrs old.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Need a new computer Reply with quote

www.discount computer.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a new computer Reply with quote

Mark Tucker the link does nothing but want you to set up a domain.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a new computer Reply with quote

At the headquarters of the world's largest retailer, more and more personnel are switching to Linux machines. Especially the modular/ category development crew. One of the company's agendas has been smaller environmental footprint, which boils down to repurposing laptops among other things. So the IT guys come in and reimage the old Windows laptops with Linux software for those who want it, and provide a basic training short course. Take from that what you will.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Need a new computer Reply with quote

Glenn, my cellphone was free with AT&T in 2011, pantec flip phone. Still going strong original battery. Havent really had my own computer in years , been using daughters old macbook 2010 model. Wont open some websites (wolfsburg west, The Tims (heads) etc ) ,just wanted basic internet at a low price, hope it works out
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Need a new computer Reply with quote

bought a chromebook over the weekend. It's fast and does most stuff. Acer, convertible, referb $200

It's going back to Fry's though. I wanted something that could get on Kodi. It does, but it's not stable. One little thing and it stops and goes back to the main menu
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Need a new computer Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
I wanted something that could get on Kodi.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Well, I'm out. Very Happy

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Luft kühl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a new computer Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
bought a chromebook over the weekend. It's fast and does most stuff. Acer, convertible, referb $200

It's going back to Fry's though. I wanted something that could get on Kodi. It does, but it's not stable. One little thing and it stops and goes back to the main menu

Download this program to make a bootable USB drive for Libre Elec.

https://libreelec.tv/downloads/

It will run just fine on your Chromebook.
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a new computer Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Anyone have any preferances. Mac vs windows vs linux. Dont want spend alot.

What will you use it for?

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a new computer Reply with quote

I have Windows XP.

Well, this week I needed to download a converter to convert DVD discs I've made (not commercial films) to MPEG or MP4 files. Then I needed to update to a Media Player that could play MP4. My first try, I lost my CD and DVD drives, had to restore computer to 2 days earlier. Then I downloaded different ones, OK.

Today I updated MalwareBytes and I also had to add PowerDVD from disc, as I couldn't play the DVD discs, just convert from them. When I did that, I lost FireFox, just got Crash Report. So I had to uninstall FireFox, then download and install again. So now everything back to working.

I hate computers.....I hate computers.....I hate computers.....I hate computers.....I hate computers.....I hate computers.....I hate computers.....I hate computers.....I hate computers.....I hate computers.....I hate computers.....I hate computers.....I hate computers.....I hate computers.....I hate computers.....I hate computers.....I hate computers.....I hate computers.....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Need a new computer Reply with quote

Cusser, bit late now, but if you ever have a video file that wont load again download VLC (orange traffic cone) -- it plays about everything.
And Handbrake is a great free DVD ripper.
btw, Windows XP is nolonger receiving updates, it's probably time to move on.

calvinater, if that old macbook is acting up I think the Apple Store will reinstall the latest OS it can run for free. I'm still running a 2012 Macbook Pro; upgraded it's hard drive to an SSD, works great for webbrowsing and light Photoshop work.

Macs run the same hardware as anyone else. They tend to do a decent job choosing quality components and their laptops tend to be durable, but that's no different than a comparably spec'd PC. I built a hackintosh for my brother, runs fine, and it has significantly more power than a similarly priced Mac Mini.

Kinda late to this thread, but really, if the software you need runs only in Windows then you need a Windows PC. Otherwise Macs and Chromebooks are a great option. Mac can even run Windows in Bootcamp or virtualized, but the main reason to buy a Mac (imo) is for the operating system.

Linux, meh. I ran Linux (mostly Fedora, started with Core 3) as my main OS for ~ 6 years, it was fun while I had the time and ambition to poke around, and it's gotten waay better, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it to someone who wasn't an enthusiast. Or at least someone who didn't have a a local enthusiast to help out.
macOS is certified Unix, Linux is Unix-like.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a new computer Reply with quote

Resurecting this old thread, ( its mine i started it damnit!)

Anywho , a word to the wise, Do Not spill Tang on your keyboard, bad things happen.

Looking for a new laptop, any current suggestions ?
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a new computer Reply with quote

don't split anything on your keyboard.
l like dell lap tops, have been using them for the last 20 years, 4 of them.
l currently have a dell XPS 13.
l got 7 years out of my last XPS13, l had Lattitude D300 before that, before that, the first one, l think it was a Lattitude C600 l think

calvinater wrote:
Resurecting this old thread, ( its mine i started it damnit!)

Anywho , a word to the wise, Do Not spill Tang on your keyboard, bad things happen.

Looking for a new laptop, any current suggestions ?

619 201 0310
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a new computer Reply with quote

You can replace the keyboard on a laptop.... if the machine is worth saving.

I also have been using Dell for the past 25 year at work and at home. I like the business lines, Optiplex (desktop) and Latitude (laptop), yes they are more expensive but they last longer.

Last year i replace my, built in 2013, Optiplex 9010 with a new 7000. My current laptop is a Latitude E5340 14" that's 7 years old and last year, I did a clean install of Windows 11 Pro and it runs great.

I manage 16 desktops at my synagogue and they are all off lease Optiplex that were 4 years old. I paid $305 each for a machine that originally for $1100 when new. So buying off lease is a great way to save... if you don't need he latest machine.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/675112/dell-latitude-3420-14-laptop-computer-(refurbished)-black
Dell Latitude 3420 14" Laptop Computer (Refurbished) - Black Intel Core i5 11th Gen 1145G7 2.6GHz Processor; 16GB RAM; 256GB Solid State Drive; Intel Iris Xe Graphics

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Need a new computer Reply with quote

Thanks Glenn for the tip , just ordered a 3540 plattitude, scratch and dent , $488 +tax. Should do all i need .
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Need a new computer Reply with quote

Ifixit has great titorials, parts, and tools to fix PCs and Macs. SAved me 10,000s over 48 semesters of undergraduate computers, plus medical schools, plus law schools.

Back market dot com has great deals on used stuff, unlocked, just replaced my personal for $200 with a like new IPhone

Rossman Group in TX does great repairs at good pricing if you don’t want to deal with a repair, too,
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Need a new computer Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
You can replace the keyboard on a laptop.... if the machine is worth saving.

I actually did that on my own Dell 6520 (I think) laptop a couple of years ago (some of the existing buttons didn't work well and the letter designations had rubbed off, and I kept painting them back on (I don't know how to type).

A few months ago, after I changed the CMOS battery on it, I couldn't get it to operate; turned out to be bad contact with copper "tabs" on the hard drive which I'd removed. I did fix that with duct tape (to force contact) but I did upgrade to a smaller Dell Latitude E5450 with Windows 10, through Craigslist. This one has longer battery life and better/louder sound than the older laptop.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297

Last edited by Cusser on Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Need a new computer Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Thanks Glenn for the tip , just ordered a 3540 plattitude, scratch and dent , $488 +tax. Should do all i need .

Cool. Woot (An Amazon company) is great for out of box, scratch/dent, and refurbished.

http://computers.woot.com/plus/scratch-dent-macbooks-1

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Need a new computer Reply with quote

I like Windows.

The computer I'm on now is my 12 year old HP running windows 7. It does basically everything I need it to, although ad-packed screens do slow it down.

I have, on this machine, a program called process explorer which allows me to close individual tabs, including invisible one, which speed things up a bit.

It does have a little keyboard bounce, and a few keys don't work, but I use a plug-in keyboard, anyway, as i find it easier to use.

I don't know its total battery life at this point but I used it unplugged for up to 3 hours with no issues.

My 2nd and 3rd laptops are also both HP. The 2nd one was given to me by my daughter when she went Mac. It runs Windows 8. I don't like the interface, though.

The newest one is a big-screen HP running Windows 11. I won it at this past company Christmas party. I find this one easier to use than the W8 machine. I disabled the default Microsoft Edge browser so I could use Firefox.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: