Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

6v Fuel Gauge to Speedometer
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
davisshannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:32 pm    Post subject: 6v Fuel Gauge to Speedometer Reply with quote

I’ve got an electric 6v (stepped down) fuel gauge in a 12v Beetle. I’m looking to replace my speedometer with a refurbished 12v one. Any tips on tapping new power to replace the fuel gauge to speedometer connection?

Thanks
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v Fuel Gauge to Speedometer Reply with quote

The gas gage is integrated into the speedometer? Will you post a photo of what you got.

My 66 Bug has a seperated mechanical gas gage from the speedometer..

I know late model Bugs have an integrated gas gage and speedometer, but as far as I know these were all 12 volt types.

If you want to install a gas gage made for 12 volts, in a 12 volt car, I think you can simply bypass any step down device you currently are using.

anyway Id like to see a photograph of what you have, it has me interested.

Thanks

Last edited by zerotofifty on Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:50 am; edited 2 times in total
davisshannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: 6v Fuel Gauge to Speedometer Reply with quote

Here’s a couple of pics along with the step down bits leading to the fuel gauge. This is a square electric 6v Australian one.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

davisshannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: 6v Fuel Gauge to Speedometer Reply with quote

Red wire at bottom right of step down coming from fused input, black at top right to fuel gauge. Then lighter colored one to the speedometer.
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: 6v Fuel Gauge to Speedometer Reply with quote

davisshannon wrote:
I’ve got an electric 6v (stepped down) fuel gauge in a 12v Beetle. I’m looking to replace my speedometer with a refurbished 12v one. Any tips on tapping new power to replace the fuel gauge to speedometer connection?

Thanks

Thanks for photos!
Is that a typo, instead you want to install a 12 volt gas gage, rather than a 12 volt speedometer?

If so you might need a 12 volt gas sending unit too. I don't know for sure all the 6 volt Bugs I onow of that had a stock gas gage where non electric

However I know that Microbusses in 1963 had an electric 6 volt gas gage, perhaps the Microbus folks know what is needed to use a 12 volt gas gage, if a 12 volt sender is needed or a 6 volt sender will work. so maybe ask on the microbus forum?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: 6v Fuel Gauge to Speedometer Reply with quote

Don't Ghias use the same tank as Beetles? They had electric gas gauges sooner. So a mid-'60s Ghia sender should work.
Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback
davisshannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v Fuel Gauge to Speedometer Reply with quote

Sorry, I’m looking to keep the existing fuel gauge, but put in a new speedometer. Looks like it’s just the lights that are joined between the two now. So I’ll just drop the same light into the “new” speedometer I’m getting

The reason I’m swapping is to get a km/h one that’s calibrated to my new front tyre size. Looking to get one of these https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2485829
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v Fuel Gauge to Speedometer Reply with quote

That checks, the only wiring shared by your fuel gauge and speedometer are for the instrument lighting which gets a variable power input from the dimmer rheostat in the light switch. No need to do anything more than make sure you have 12v bulbs in the lamp holders.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: