Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro driveshaft balancing jig?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:10 pm    Post subject: Syncro driveshaft balancing jig? Reply with quote

I've been going blind from reading Syncro driveshaft vibration threads, but one item that shows up once in a while is this mention of the balancing shop needing the correct jig to properly balance these shafts.

However I have yet to read an explanation of just what kind of tooling this is.

I'm still fighting a frustrating vibration at 25-35 mph that disappears at higher speeds. I dropped the driveshaft again tonight to double (quadruple) check the alignment with my GW laser tool. It's spot on to within maybe a 1/2 degree. (about an 1/16" between dots on marking board) dead centered, and very slight downward drop. Same orientation I've used many times.

Back story: slip-yoke driveshaft from VanCafe, was working perfectly. Removed both front diff and transmission for rebuilding. Reinstalled the driveline along with brand new OEM type rubber transmission / diff mounts and aligned with laser tools in both vertical and horizontal axis.
With the everything buttoned back up discovered new vibration as noted. Pulled driveshaft and went through checklist of possible causes. Reworked the alignment multiple times.
Decided maybe one of the u-joints was a bit worn - replaced both with Spicer joints. Had driveshaft balanced; shop said the results looked good. Still had vibration.

I have had four Syncros and replaced driveshafts on three of them, never had a problem getting smooth operation first try using the GW laser tool.
My Syncro is in top condition, new CVs, bearings, tires, etc. Tried with different set of rims/tires.
Runs perfectly smooth without driveshaft installed.

So I'm left with the possibility the shop did not balance the driveshaft to Syncro specs. I have read that the factory required a ISO G6.3 standard not the usual G6.16.
And this mention of some kind of jig or fixture. Can anyone provide a clear explanation of this tooling so I can ask a shop if they are so equipped?
Also, is this jig required only for the original driveshafts with the Giubo joints or does it include the slip-yoke style?
The shop seemed to think there was no problem dealing with the shaft; said "we know what we're doing".

Only other explanation is something wrong with either the transmission or front diff rebuilds, but wouldn't a problem there show up as vibration at all speeds?

This is an older picture from when I redid my suspension bushings, but shows the laser marking board I'm talking about. The new dots are in almost exactly the same location.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft balancing jig? Reply with quote

I think the shop tool is simply a pair of "equivalent syncro flanges" - to bolt the shaft to.

You are showing the tool on the front diff.
And the laser hits the same dot when you put that tool on the rear diff?
So same angle?

What angle do you have?

I had lots of chats with a guy in Oklahoma who was having trouble with his Bostig-Syncro.
He had to do a LOT of adjustments, shimming mounts, but he claims victory and is looking forward to driving from Oklahoma to SyncroFest.
He would be glad to help you I bet.
He ended up at 2.5°.

MsTaboo maybe you need to accost a smooth Syncro and trade driveshafts for a test drive.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft balancing jig? Reply with quote

Desperate comment, but have you weighed the hardware ?

A friend in Costa Rica was having vibrations issues too. Turns out he had a different bolt and nut. He corrected it and it solved it on the spot.
Worth mentioning; maybe there's discrepancy there, and their order on the flange got mixed up from what you have before?

Or like you said, not correctly balanced, which wouldn't be the first time I read this on the forum. That's a hair pulling situation you got!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Pchill2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft balancing jig? Reply with quote

Those Bostigs have a lot of cantilevered engine weight. Is it possible the engine/trans is rotating rearward under acceleration causing driveshaft misalignment? Could be as simple as bad motor mounts.

I had that issue with my motor swap but didn’t notice until I pulled the driveshaft and heard the power steering pulley contacting the rear body. I’ve redesigned my engine mounts because of that.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft balancing jig? Reply with quote

An old trick was to use hose clamps. Driveshafts are usually balanced at both ends. You could add a hose clamp to the front of the drive shaft and drive the van. Then rotate the clamp marking the starting point a few degrees and retest. It would be tedious, but you might get a feel for changing it.

Repeat with the rear end of the driveshaft. If you find the sweet spot assuming its a balance problem and not a runout problem, you could decide to weld washers in place of the clamps.

You should check both ends for run out with a dial indicator. A magnetic stand should probably hold the indicator for you. Measure both ends installed.

No affiliation.
Link

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft balancing jig? Reply with quote

Pchill2 wrote:
Is it possible the engine/trans is rotating rearward under acceleration causing driveshaft misalignment?

This is awesome suggestion.
Think of a way to determine if the angles under power are not the same as the angles in the shop.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft balancing jig? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
I think the shop tool is simply a pair of "equivalent syncro flanges" - to bolt the shaft to.
You are showing the tool on the front diff.
And the laser hits the same dot when you put that tool on the rear diff?
So same angle?
What angle do you have?
MsTaboo maybe you need to accost a smooth Syncro and trade driveshafts for a test drive.

So is it just having the four hole headstock/tailstock to match the Syncro driveshaft flanges? Hmmm...maybe they were just using a three/four jaw chucks instead? And perhaps not fast enough?
I was unable to see their setups - no customers allowed!

On the marking card; yes the laser shots are taken from both directions. Front to back-mark a dot, back to front-mark a dot. Repeat. Work alignment until both dots are on top of each other (or as close as possible).
No need to use a angle gauge.

It would be useful to try a known good driveshaft to rule out trouble with either the transmission or front diff. I have two original Syncro shafts, but they both have shot u-joints (replaced with slip-yokes).

I've talked with SyncroShop - his reply:
"...to answer your question, yes the VC has been known to be a source of hard to correct vibration. Usually due to worn splines at the rear where it rides on the tailshaft of the differential.
I did not note any excessive wear when installing it though. I'm still thinking it is the driveshaft."

The front diff I sent him had a NOS VC installed and was smooth before the rebuilds.

ALIKA T3 wrote:
Desperate comment, but have you weighed the hardware ?
All hardware matches, was a new set from GW.

Pchill2 wrote:
Those Bostigs have a lot of cantilevered engine weight. Is it possible the engine/trans is rotating rearward under acceleration causing driveshaft misalignment? Could be as simple as bad motor mounts.
Mounts are good.

Sodo wrote:
Pchill2 wrote:
Is it possible the engine/trans is rotating rearward under acceleration causing driveshaft misalignment?

This is awesome suggestion.
Think of a way to determine if the angles under power are not the same as the angles in the shop.

I've thought of this, but the vibration happens whether the Syncro is under acceleration or not and only at those lower speeds.

What's really frustrating about this is the driveshaft was fine before the rebuilds.

Besides the rebuilds the only thing that changed was the addition of new trans/diff rubber mounts. The old ones were starting to collapse and the new ones changed the combination of shims I had been using to achieve the same target on the marking board. This required me to realign the trans and front diff several times to get them back in line. But I've done this before.
Like I said, I've done this several times in the past, from the very first Zetec install back in '09 to the times I've had the engine out to swap to a zero mile Zetec, and removing the front diff to install the NOS VC.

MarkWard wrote:
An old trick was to use hose clamps. Driveshafts are usually balanced at both ends.
You should check both ends for run out with a dial indicator. A magnetic stand should probably hold the indicator for you. Measure both ends installed.

I'm thinking I'll have to try the hose clamp diy balancing since I live so far away from any balancing shops.
I did do a runout check for SyncroShop. I have good quality dial indicators left over from my days working as a machinist. Flanges were within +/- .001 in any direction; although I did these measurements without the driveshaft installed (only way to get good readings on face of flanges). Measurements were taken with hand rotation only, I don't have a safe way to run the motor with wheels in the air, although I guess I could rig something if it's thought this might help.

Pulling my hair out! I've always been able to get smooth running driveline in the past and have even offered help to others! Now I'm under the rock Mad .
I'm really beginning to fear it's something deeper in the transmission or diff. Crying or Very sad

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!

Last edited by MsTaboo on Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft balancing jig? Reply with quote

I was trying to suggest measuring runout with the driveshaft installed. You wouldn’t do this running in gear. You would at a minimum need the rear tires off the ground. Zero the dial indicator and manually turn the driveshaft. There are different arrangements that would cause you to test differently. Decoupler installed, VC or fixed stub. You just need to be able turn the driveshaft.

My in-line 4 cylinder at the pulley end was moving down under load visibly from a following car. I fabricated a mount to limit this movement. A torque mount of sorts. I imagine it would really change your operating angles if the engine is dropping at the pulley end under load. There are a couple pictures under my username showing the torque limiter.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft balancing jig? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I was trying to suggest measuring runout with the driveshaft installed. You wouldn’t do this running in gear. You would at a minimum need the rear tires off the ground. Zero the dial indicator and manually turn the driveshaft. There are different arrangements that would cause you to test differently. Decoupler installed, VC or fixed stub. You just need to be able turn the driveshaft.

Yep, ok, I'll check the runout on the driveshaft installed. The runout tests I did earlier were to look for any abnormal runout on the flanges of the diff and trans.
And I'll try the hose clamp diy trick.

Drove the 40 mile round trip to the local town without the shaft, was such a pleasure to drive. This is the year I was planning to put some miles on my rig; only have 500 on the rebuilds.
Need to get this resolved! Three knob Syncro without a driveshaft? Sacrilege! Embarassed

ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft balancing jig? Reply with quote

Ms taboo…

When I took my original drive shaft to shop in Victoria they had to make adapter for the balancing lathe.

Also, the said right away the lathe didn’t spin as fast as they wanted for this shaft.

They did as best they could. But weren’t satisfied . I spent a lot of time with angles and gear clamp weighting and new u joints etc. still have that shaft ( maybe one day it will have Cv type joints ) . But got a cast off shaft and it’s pretty well fine installed in same set uo as the old one .

It’s frustrating I know

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
essjayarr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft balancing jig? Reply with quote

I’ll share what “surprisingly” worked for me.
I had a sunroof Syncro which I had converted to Subaru 2.2 and went thru all the same frustrations with vibration. I had even built this elaborate laser alignment tool.
This was a lot of years ago, so I don’t recall who made the suggestion that worked. It may have been someone at VanCafe, since I did most of all my buying from them at the time.
The Fix: Loosen the front diff mounting bolts just a bit, not sloppy loose. Drive the van and let the drivetrain find its “happy spot”. Then go back and tighten it all back down.
My Syncro was silky smooth at any speed from then on.
I miss that one!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft balancing jig? Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion essjayarr, but I've been around long enough to know that trick.
Been there, done that. Wink

MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft balancing jig? Reply with quote

ragnarhairybreeks wrote:
Ms taboo…
When I took my original drive shaft to shop in Victoria they had to make adapter for the balancing lathe.
Also, the said right away the lathe didn’t spin as fast as they wanted for this shaft.....Alistair

The adaptor. It was just to match the four holes on the flanges?

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft balancing jig? Reply with quote

@mstaboo. No difference coupled or decoupled? Assuming yes. VC or stub shaft up front?
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft balancing jig? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
@mstaboo. No difference coupled or decoupled? Assuming yes. VC or stub shaft up front?

VC, slight difference between coupled and decoupled.

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft balancing jig? Reply with quote

So, decoupled you should be able to turn the driveshaft enough to measure runout with a dial indicator. That saves jacking the van unless you'd like the room to work.

Where do the Ztec mounts attach to the engine block in comparison to the front pulley? Just curious. Not familar with that install.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft balancing jig? Reply with quote

The engine hangs out there a bit, but like I said, the vibration is there even coasting.

If the vibes got worse under load I might suspect problem with engine shifting position, but they don't.
I've got close to eighty thousand miles on this conversion, first time having problem with driveshaft vibration.

I can turn the shaft with it decoupled but it's pretty stiff. I'll be getting the wheels off the ground. May not get to it today, partner is beating on me about time spent working on Syncro Brick wall .

bheins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft balancing jig? Reply with quote

MsTaboo, did you get this issue sorted? If so, what did you find?

Bernie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft balancing jig? Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
The engine hangs out there a bit, but like I said, the vibration is there even coasting.

Soooooo pretttyyyy Embarassed
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro driveshaft balancing jig? Reply with quote

bheins wrote:
MsTaboo, did you get this issue sorted? If so, what did you find?Bernie

It ended up being driveshaft angles. I had the whole arrangement too shallow. I think I followed up on this in another thread about rebuilding driveline U-joints.

When I replaced all of the transmission and front diff rubber mounts it changed the overall "harmonics" (for lack of a better word), so my old measurements on the driveshaft laser alignment tool no longer worked.
I had to increase the downward angle on the engine (and then match with front diff) which required me to rework the Zetec/Bostig mount spacers and fab some thicker spacers under the stock Syncro transmission mounts (It might be noted here that the new Bostig engine adaptor now has a provision to more easily adjust the angle the Zetec sits on the cradle).
I lost a tiny amount of ground clearance (but gained room between the engine and cover) and was able to increase the downward angle on the engine at the driveline.
I used my GW laser alignment tool and a cheapie angle finder (along with an online calculator) to verify the total angles.

This was all a big pain. I even went so far as buying a new driveline (which now sits in a box), the old one was fine. Like I said I had never had to fight this battle before, the laser tool works really well to get everything lined up, however it's a matter of combinations of factors. The new rubber mounts are taller and stiffer than the old worn out ones and I was fixated on replicating the measurements I had perviously.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: