Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tips on registration & inspection in Massachusetts?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
human compass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:26 am    Post subject: Tips on registration & inspection in Massachusetts? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Moving to Boston this summer and wondering what to expect for registration and testing for my 84 with an svx motor. I'm reading that no emissions is necessary, is that true?

thanks!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: tips on registration and inspection in massachusettes Reply with quote

MASS DOT website is your friend here.

I believe MASS ends emission testing on a rolling 15 year basis, so model year 2009 and on only.

Safety check in MASS is vigorous - for example parking brake is tested against engine for holding.
Cevan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: tips on registration and inspection in massachusettes Reply with quote

Correct. For vehicles over 15 years old, it's only a safety inspection. No emissions testing.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: tips on registration and inspection in massachusettes Reply with quote

Cevan- is it still a thing that you to hunt down a garage doing that month inspection as opposed to going to any garage so certified?

Or am I hallucinating again?
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on registration & inspection in Massachusettes? Reply with quote

One thing I will say about MA inspections is that they can be particular about rust, of which our cars have much of. Some vehicles are failed for having noticeable rust holes, even relatively small ones. Hopefully your van is not in that category, but something they have become more strict on in the past 5-10 years. Somehow, shtboxes sometimes get through, but I have many friends as well as my son who had to do some quick bondo type repairs to deal with even small holes around wheel wells and other common spots. As they say, YMMV.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
human compass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on registration & inspection in Massachusettes? Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, I did check the website and it looks like I'm good from an emissions standpoint. Good tip on the rust. I do have a few holes I could bondo over for the inspections. I'm planning a full paint and body resto for my next project anyways
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on registration & inspection in Massachusettes? Reply with quote

when we first bought lucy, l had to get her past inspection, TBH is was a joke, l went to the test station expecting a failure, so at least l could use lucy and have 60 days to get her sorted out.
somehow she passed, one of the things necessary was a working horn, l think it was in a box, it for sure it was not connected, but we heard a horn, and lucy passed her inspection.
there were several reasons that she shouldn't have passed, l don't remember now, it was 13 years ago now.

619 201 0310
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on registration & inspection in Massachusettes? Reply with quote

markswagen wrote:
when we first bought lucy, l had to get her past inspection, TBH is was a joke, l went to the test station expecting a failure, so at least l could use lucy and have 60 days to get her sorted out.
somehow she passed, one of the things necessary was a working horn, l think it was in a box, it for sure it was not connected, but we heard a horn, and lucy passed her inspection.
there were several reasons that she shouldn't have passed, l don't remember now, it was 13 years ago now.

Lucy looking good at T-fest, its been a long time since 2011.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Destructo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on registration & inspection in Massachusetts? Reply with quote

Call your insurance company and get your insurance sorted out before going to the RMV for registration. Your insurance company will need to send you a signed form that is specific to Massachusetts.
As for inspection, any garage that is certified to inspect will be able to help you out. Make sure to bring cash and your new registration. I believe it's currently $35 dollars.
Make sure all of your seatbelts are visible and clicked in, some places to a "tug check" on all of them. Also, something we don't really think of that much, but make sure your parking brake can hold our bus still up to 1500rpm.
If you fail on your first go, you have 60 days to return for a free re-inspection granted you "fixed" whatever they found wrong.
Some places are real sticklers and then there are places that see all the lights and brakes work and your tires aren't bald and send you off with a sticker because they know a vintage vehicle isn't as "tight" as a new vehicle should be. Good Luck and Welcome to the spirit of America!

Eddie in Westhampton

Dude, where's your van?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
floodwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on registration & inspection in Massachusetts? Reply with quote

My van didn't start the first time and it still passed. Their only gripe was that my license plate was held up with zip ties

Per the Mass DOT site, they will test basic equipment on the van to ensure that it functions, but we will not be subject to smog due to the age.

Basically, they will do a visual inspection, run it for a few minutes, honk the horn, and check all lights.

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/vehicle-inspections

1. Visual Overview
Certificate of registration
License plate(s): For more information about the license plate inspection requirements, check the Motorist Resources section.
Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)

2. Brake Tests
Parking brake
Service brake

3. Exhaust System
Exhaust system components/muffler
Excessive blue or black smoke

4. Steering and Suspension
Steering wheel and box
Suspension/front end
Springs
Shocks

5. Horn
Sound horn to test for adequate signal
The horn must be securely fastened to the vehicle

6. Glazing, Glass and Windshield Wipers

Windshield
Windshield wipers and washer
Windows
Window tinting: For more information, see Aftermarket Window Tint Guidelines in the Motorist Resources section.

7. Rear View Mirror
Rear view mirror
Mirrors (general)

8. Lighting Devices

Tail lights
Directional (turn signal lights)
Head light aim
Hazard lights/Reverse lights/License plate light(s) and reflectors
Aftermarket lighting

9. Tires and Wheels

Tires
Wheels

10. Bumper, Fenders and Fuel Tank

Bumpers
Fenders
Floor pans
Fuel tank
Vehicle frame or unibody

11. Altered Vehicle Height

12. Seat Belts

13. Airbags

14. Fuel Tank Cap
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on registration & inspection in Massachusetts? Reply with quote

Destructo wrote:

If you fail on your first go, you have 60 days to return for a free re-inspection granted you "fixed" whatever they found wrong.

Just to add a bit here. You are free to go a different inspection station for the re-test, but if you choose that path, you have to pay the fee again. As stated above, free if you return to the same station.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on registration & inspection in Massachusetts? Reply with quote

human compass, your build thread is one of my favorites and I seriously and I mean seriously don't think any rust on your vehicle is going to be a flag for safety inspection. It reads as very similar to those done in North Carolina and so long as the inspector can drive your vehicle in to the bay and it passes the basic inspection outlined above- you're good.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on registration & inspection in Massachusetts? Reply with quote

You'll also get to join us with paying a yearly excise tax on your cars. It's minimal, I think it was about $24 for my Syncro Westy this year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on registration & inspection in Massachusettes? Reply with quote

it has been a long time, l've more than doubled the mileage it was when we bought her, and she's now subaru powered.
Timwhy wrote:
markswagen wrote:

Lucy looking good at T-fest, its been a long time since 2011.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

619 201 0310
MSGGrunt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on registration & inspection in Massachusetts? Reply with quote

How strict the inspector is can vary, but all of the licensed shops are now on camera and their inspections recorded. I am well known at my small-town local inspection station, but I once was forced to use a different shop and the inspector failed me because one of my red side marker lights wasn't red enough.

Having a front plate mounted is a must.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on registration & inspection in Massachusetts? Reply with quote

MSGGrunt wrote:
How strict the inspector is can vary, but all of the licensed shops are now on camera and their inspections recorded. I am well known at my small-town local inspection station, but I once was forced to use a different shop and the inspector failed me because one of my red side marker lights wasn't red enough.

Having a front plate mounted is a must.

Meanwhile, my side markers didn’t work for years. I think it didn’t matter, because they look like flat reflectors!
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: