Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Will a 1200cc engine
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
doulsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:22 pm    Post subject: Will a 1200cc engine Reply with quote

Work with an AB 1300 gearbox? Sorry if its a stupid question I can only find stuff about a 1300 going on a 1200 box
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Will a 1200cc engine Reply with quote

I think everything you may have read about going the other way applies here as well.

It will bolt up to such a gearbox. The input shaft will mate with its clutch disk. So in the general, yes, it will work. Of course the style of clutch pressure plate needs to match the style of throw out bearing in the transaxle.

Next question is, will the starter work? That depends on the flywheel, does it have 109 or 130 teeth (and this goes closely with talking about 6 Volt or 12V Volt) but the diameter of such flywheels is different and the starter needs to have a matching gear on it.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doulsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Will a 1200cc engine Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
I think everything you may have read about going the other way applies here as well.

It will bolt up to such a gearbox. The input shaft will mate with its clutch disk. So in the general, yes, it will work. Of course the style of clutch pressure plate needs to match the style of throw out bearing in the transaxle.

Next question is, will the starter work? That depends on the flywheel, does it have 109 or 130 teeth (and this goes closely with talking about 6 Volt or 12V Volt) but the diameter of such flywheels is different and the starter needs to have a matching gear on it.

Thanks for the reply and useful information, noticed the coil has 12v stamped on it and the clutch pressure plate is a sachs 1881 065 101 so I googled it, seems its 180 diameter, will this help identify the flywheel?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
doulsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Will a 1200cc engine Reply with quote

I'm counting 130 ish Laughing
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Will a 1200cc engine Reply with quote

Yeah, 130 teeth, so the larger diameter but with the 1200 180mm clutch. But it does have a model year 1970/older style clutch pressure plate with a center contact ring. What model year is this gearbox? I suspect it's 1971 or newer, and if so, an incompatible clutch pressure plate. If that is the case, you would need one of these:

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/111141025hx-clutch-pressure-plate-180mm.html

(note that the listing says 1970, but I think they mean that model year 1971 began production in August 1970)

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doulsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Will a 1200cc engine Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Yeah, 130 teeth, so the larger diameter but with the 1200 180mm clutch. But it does have a model year 1970/older style clutch pressure plate with a center contact ring. What model year is this gearbox? I suspect it's 1971 or newer, and if so, an incompatible clutch pressure plate. If that is the case, you would need one of these:

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/111141025hx-clutch-pressure-plate-180mm.html

(note that the listing says 1970, but I think they mean that model year 1971 began production in August 1970)

Not sure what year gearbox is but will try find out, it had the 2 hole nose cone but I just had it swapped to a 3 hole nose cone to fit my 77 chassis, once again thanks for the information.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Will a 1200cc engine Reply with quote

IIRC, the front-of-car transaxle mount at the nosecone changed for model year 1973. So that won't help. Did you at any point see what the throw out bearing looked like?

doulsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Will a 1200cc engine Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
IIRC, the front-of-car transaxle mount at the nosecone changed for model year 1973. So that won't help. Did you at any point see what the throw out bearing looked like?

will get a picture in the morning , thanks for all your help
doulsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Will a 1200cc engine Reply with quote

[img]

Will this bush need replaced?

[/img]
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Will a 1200cc engine Reply with quote

Yeah, that's the style with the guide sleeve supporting the late style throw out bearing. To use that 1200 engine you will need to get that style of clutch pressure plate I linked to above. And since there is no throw out bearing visible, you will need to get one of those as well. https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/113141165b-...e-pad.html

As for the starter bushing, it's going to be the 12V style and is probably fine.

Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Will a 1200cc engine Reply with quote

O.P..

Looks like you have one of those European setups. Europe still got 40 horse motors ten years after we did. I'll bet if you use a 1960s style throwout bearing and a 12V starter it will slide together like it was made that way. 'Cuz it was made that way.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Will a 1200cc engine Reply with quote

That style of throw out bearing won't fit the transaxle he showed. That style tranny needs to have a throw out bearing that rides on the metal sleeve. Plus the mounting is different And the style of clutch pressure plate he has on that engine is NOT compatible. He needs to change the pressure plate and use the late style throw out bearing. The parts I linked to above.

He says he's in Glasgow, I'm assuming that's Scotland, and that is why I included links to a UK seller of VW parts.

I'll edit this and say... I don't remember the compatibility of the throw out levers, I think some bushing diameters changed over the years. Plus we are getting into Euro-spec cars and I'm the USA. But IF you can retrofit a throw-out lever that accepts the early style bearing, then yes, you could just remove the metal guide sleeve and get a couple of U-clips and use the early style throw out bearing (but I'm not exactly a fan of some of the modern day repops of the early bearing, originals are vastly superior) and then use the pressure plate depicted in the images above.

doulsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Will a 1200cc engine Reply with quote

I really appreciate the help on this thread and it's helping me greatly, that pressure plate on my engine costs between £400-£500, wondering why someone would spend that on a pressure plate for a 1200 motor, think the engine has all 12v components, gearbox was rebuilt welded gears ect but never been used. I have idea what I need now thanks to you guys and yes I'm in Scotland. Been searching for starter motors for the 130 flywheel, will I still use 180mm clutch?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Will a 1200cc engine Reply with quote

Starters match the ring gear of the flywheel. 6V starters will function on 12V, they just run pretty hard and heavy. But almost all 25mm diameter gear (130 tooth ring gear) starters are going to be 12V.

Wait, how much for that pressure plate? Shocked I thought that link from heritage said 36 quid, including VAT.

doulsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Will a 1200cc engine Reply with quote

I have 1200 gearbox I bought for axles, will check if there is thrust bearing on that
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Will a 1200cc engine Reply with quote

You didn't answer my question about the price of a late style 180mm clutch pressure plate. Heritage Parts Center lists that for 36 pounds for the modern style pressure plate which you say is 400 to 500. Something does not add up here. Is there some tariff that I don't know about? I thought Scotland was part of the UK. Shipping and handling from West Sussex to Glasgow can't be that bad.

edit... I just went and did the currency conversion from British Pounds to US Dollars and 45 bucks for such a pressure plate seems unrealistically cheap to me. So either that's Chinese Junk or something is wrong here. I'd think 100 quid more realistic. But not 400.

doulsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Will a 1200cc engine Reply with quote

I ment the pressure plate that's on the 1200 .engine

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/sachs/1218685
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Will a 1200cc engine Reply with quote

AHHHH. I see. Well, that style of pressure plate is obsolete. If you find new ones these days they are New Old Stock and priced that way. However, there are a lot of decades-old engines out there that still have their original style pressure plates on them. And at the time they were originally installed, they were not priced as collectors items.

There is a reason I gave you a link to a new style pressure plate, because that's what is made now.

For what it's worth, I prefer the "feel" of a 6 spring (180mm) or 9 spring (200mm) clutch pressure plate over their diaphragm counterparts. But, as I said, long gone now. And I don't know if you could make that pressure plate work on the transaxle you pictured because I don't know if you can fit an early throw out arm to it.

Maybe I should have made this clear: You can change the pressure plate and retain the same friction disk and flywheel. It might be better to get new disk but if it's not oil-soaked or worn thin, it's perfectly re-usable. And if the flywheel surface still looks good, just throw the other pressure plate on it to match your transaxle and see how well it works. Of course, you might want to remove the flywheel and change the front main oil seal and pry out and replace the input shaft seal on the transaxle.

doulsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Will a 1200cc engine Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
AHHHH. I see. Well, that style of pressure plate is obsolete. If you find new ones these days they are New Old Stock and priced that way. However, there are a lot of decades-old engines out there that still have their original style pressure plates on them. And at the time they were originally installed, they were not priced as collectors items.

There is a reason I gave you a link to a new style pressure plate, because that's what is made now.

For what it's worth, I prefer the "feel" of a 6 spring (180mm) or 9 spring (200mm) clutch pressure plate over their diaphragm counterparts. But, as I said, long gone now. And I don't know if you could make that pressure plate work on the transaxle you pictured because I don't know if you can fit an early throw out arm to it.

Maybe I should have made this clear: You can change the pressure plate and retain the same friction disk and flywheel. It might be better to get new disk but if it's not oil-soaked or worn thin, it's perfectly re-usable. And if the flywheel surface still looks good, just throw the other pressure plate on it to match your transaxle and see how well it works. Of course, you might want to remove the flywheel and change the front main oil seal and pry out and replace the input shaft seal on the transaxle.

Thanks again, I will just go with new pressure plate and push out bearing and get someone who knows what they are doing, be good if you can send me links to a better quality pressure plate, I went to Alloa straight after work tonight to buy some pre 67 panels and lights ect, feel like a child at Christmas lol
doulsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Will a 1200cc engine Reply with quote

Would I be best buying this kit?

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/111198141a-180mm-clutch-kit-for-1200-1300cc.html
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: