Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Holley 4412 carb
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:18 pm    Post subject: Holley 4412 carb Reply with quote

I was doing some spring cleaning and came across this carb set up. It's a Holley 4412 on a crude looking dp manifold. It may or may not have been a home build, it has ugly looking welds but it is chromed. I got it a few years ago in a box of carbs I bought, I sold the rest on the Samba but nobody wanted this setup.
I'm assuming this carb is not great for VWs, I found a few topics in the forums, a couple of guys running them with turbos and a guy that said he really liked it with his w140 cam. Since this is a widely available carb and hardly anyone here is using them I would guess they don't work well or are hard to set up. Anybody out there ever run one? How did it work?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley 4412 carb Reply with quote

It's possible somehow but out of the box the fuel curve would be all wrong.
Carbs designed for IR work on an isolate manifold far better than carbs designed to feed a plenum, and in fact the carburetor probably thinks it's feeding one 1000cc cylinder anyway. The two intake pulses can blend together.

It could work on a plenum manifold, but then it would be gnerally too large for most apps.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley 4412 carb Reply with quote

Wanna sell it. Maybe, I’ll give it a try.
Linkage side seem backwards. Like the fuel bowl would be against the shroud.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley 4412 carb Reply with quote

Yeh the fuel bowl probably would be against the shroud if the intake doesnt set the carb back? Although i you could run the carb with the bowl on the backside as the last one i worked on had linkage on both sides of the carb, not sure how / if the bowl being on the backside would affect fueling though?
I designed & 3D printed adapter(s) for one of these to go on both an IDF & 32/36 intakes and it had to set back a fair amount to clear the fan shroud.

Also, just put one on a draw through 1929cc engine, so far its only ran on the stand but i can say that making adjustments to this carb is a lot easier that a Weber ( and i like webers! ) and having a sight glass in the bowl and being able to externally set the float is awesome. However i dont think it has the tunability a Weber does, for instance you cant change the chokes
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley 4412 carb Reply with quote

Agreed!
Possibly the setup was designed to go on the OTHER side of the shroud.
That's not going to work in a bug ect.....but rail buggies and trikes, circle track, formula-v.........they'd do that.
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley 4412 carb Reply with quote

Closer inspection today, the throttle shaft arm on the left side, if the bowl was facing away from the flywheel has been brazed so there's no good place for the throttle cable.

The manifold looks like it was modified to fit the Holley adapter plate, so likely homebuilt.

I also found these "velocity stacks" in the box so my money's on low budget racing.

From what I've read these carbs were popular in the dirt track/ circle track world, and were mandated by Nascar for certain tracks.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley 4412 carb Reply with quote

Its really hard to spend hours making a odd carb combo work when you can get a set of new idfs for $200 and it will run better and have more power.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Holley 4412 carb Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Its really hard to spend hours making a odd carb combo work when you can get a set of new idfs for $200 and it will run better and have more power.

100% true. But somehow, some of us are a glutten for punishment.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Holley 4412 carb Reply with quote

NJ John wrote:
jpaull wrote:

100% true. But somehow, some of us are a glutten for punishment.

I dont think saying its “hard to …” isn’t an accurate description, to say its easier for the average person to purchase a set up thats already been made to work by someone else who put in the hard work, seems more accurate to me.
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: