Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 47, 48, 49  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Great recommendations Rome! Can't say I've ever seen chrome nail polish on anyone. Given I use these as daily drivers, how do you think that would hold up in spots?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

I think that having the base rust neutralized is the key for moderate longevity. The chrome nail polish "paint" adds more paint protection but of course attempts to blend in with the chrome appearance of the small rusted areas. You may need to redo the chrome paint every few years. But as to the rest of the bumper, since it's still original German with high quality chrome, it has many years of useful life left.
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Any suggestions about what to do w/the old front bumper? Chrome under the impact strip is peeling and from what I've heard from a local club, getting this rechromed would cost 100s of $$. Painting it black doesn't seem like it would be a good combo w/my Marina Blue.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Try polishing with aluminum foil. I think you'll be surprised how much of that discoloration is on top of good chrome and can simply be polished away. From 10 feet it will look great. If you have significant exposure of the steel, such as under the rubber strip, you should probably use some evaporust or similar and then paint or oil those areas. Keep the whole bumper waxed to help keep moisture out of the pits in the chrome.

I have some areas of rusty, bare steel on my hub caps, but after polishing with aluminum foil and waxing, the caps look almost perfect in photos. You don't really see the rusty bare steel bits unless you look closely.

vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Wow, that looks great. Just dry aluminum foil? Or with some kind of buffing compound?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Just some kind of lubricant. You don't need buffing compound. I used pb-blaster, but I've heard of people having good results with windex or even coke-a-cola.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

I'll probably do a combo of this and Rome's method. I found the chrome nail polish on Amazon.

Mounted the rear shocks today. Wasn't able to get the seals properly installed, due to some Bondo affecting the thickness of the opening's edges. The mount sections don't seem like it's been hit but the fenders have seen better days. Also, anyone know why the end mount slots on the shocks are different between the left and right shock?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
I'll probably do a combo of this and Rome's method. I found the chrome nail polish on Amazon.

Mounted the rear shocks today. Wasn't able to get the seals properly installed, due to some Bondo affecting the thickness of the opening's edges. The mount sections don't seem like it's been hit but the fenders have seen better days. Also, anyone know why the end mount slots on the shocks are different between the left and right shock?

As you are probably aware, the bumper extensions should be rotated 90deg from shown, as bumper brackets need to be horizontal for proper bumper mounting.

I assumed that the slots on one side were to allow for variances and tolerances of bumpers.
Both slotted mounts (front and rear) are on the driver side on my cars.

Good Luck
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Once you clean up the chrome (but before you wax it) put a strip of black electrical tape in the center where the rubber impact strip used to be. It'll break up the chrome and hide the extra holes.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

OTTO 1303 wrote:

As you are probably aware, the bumper extensions should be rotated 90deg from shown, as bumper brackets need to be horizontal for proper bumper mounting.

I assumed that the slots on one side were to allow for variances and tolerances of bumpers.
Both slotted mounts (front and rear) are on the driver side on my cars.

Good Luck

Thanks Otto and I did not know that. The old bumper shocks were pretty rough, probably original to the car and I just unscrewed them from the bumper w/out even removing the old impact strips.

I also like the electrical tape idea, although not sure why I need it since I have new impact strips to install?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Wow, that looks great. Just dry aluminum foil? Or with some kind of buffing compound?

kpf wrote:
Just some kind of lubricant. You don't need buffing compound. I used pb-blaster, but I've heard of people having good results with windex or even coke-a-cola.

I've been using soap (dawn dish detergent) and water. I'll try the PB Blaster next time I try it, that sounds like a good idea.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

There are chrome paints available now, which look really impressive maybe you could scout that out and see how it looks.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Side note - it was a year ago today that I started the motor and gave it it's 1st break-in runs. Hard to believe, that old paint shop really set me back, the car basically sat for a whole year.

Anyway - I still have this issue w/the wobbly crankshaft pulley. I have a degree pulley and a separate factory one to try replacing this one, and the shims those require to keep from locking up the motor when the pulley nut gets torqued to spec.

Link

I won't be tackling this today though. Today's task is installing the front parking lights w/their new WCM seals, the front fender beading, and the front bumper shocks. I'll also turn the rear ones to have the ends in the correct orientation for the bumpers.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

You know, when I saw the paint progress pictures the shop sent me, in particular the one showing the fenders being painted off of the body, I thought "Wow! This is gonna be good! This guy went the extra step..!" Ignoring the little alarm in my head flashing "THEY TRASHED MY "NEW" TRANSPLANTED FRONT HARNESS...!!"

Yes, I had no lights when the car got home from the shop...maybe they just connected the 3 wires incorrectly....No, they did me one better.

Rather then take the time to unclip the wires from the connector, they cut them, then just twisted the ends together and wrapped them in electrical tape. Evil or Very Mad

Then there's this -

All but ONE of the fender mounting captive nuts got ripped out when they removed the fenders. I can see one or two, but SEVEN?? Shocked So now I have to sand to bare metal for the ground cable and break out the welder, which i haven't used in a year. So...practice welding then hopefully avoid massive burn through for the replacement nuts.

I did wire wheel the holes and tap them back into a somewhat flat or slightly indented form to better fit the replacement nuts. Painter's tape was to try and avoid wire wheeling into the quarter panel. Ugh.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

I've seen wiring like that. I've had to fix it myself.

That sucks about the fender nuts especially since it is painted. I hope it works out.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Wow. Pain.
DUNGBTL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

That really blows!
You probably already know this…assuming you’re using a MIG unit, just pulse the gun, aiming the wire at the thicker gage nut plates. Series of pulse tacks around the perimeter is all you need. And you can use a copper or aluminum plate on the backside, if accessible, to mitigate burn thru.

Good luck!
J.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Yep, bites the big one for sure. I have a couple of those copper plates. I'll have to rig something to get them to stay while I weld in front. Maybe one of those deep c-clamp locking pliers.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
[

I also like the electrical tape idea, although not sure why I need it since I have new impact strips to install?

My bad, I missed the part where you said you had new impact strips!
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

I can't say anything about that captive nut situation that hasn't already crossed your tortured mind a hundred times already. God be with you my friend. In the end this car will be fantastic.

On the wire connectors, I recently used some of the heat shrink solder connectors on something in a tight place and they work fantastic. I used a grill lighter. It would be a perfect solution to this tight spot and the connection will be inside the bucket, which is good. Here is a link 340PCS Solder Seal Wire Connectors-haisstronica Marine Grade Heat Shrink Wire Connectors-Butt Splice Wire Terminals for Marine,Electrical with Corrosion and Weatherproof(5Colors/5Sizes) https://a.co/d/0OHtPBF
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Yikes! I bought a '74 Super!! Reply with quote

Thanks Buggee, I'll give those a shot. What the heck, right? Weather has sucked the last couple of days so no progress yet. It's supposed to be sunny tomorrow, I'm going to set up my welder and check the gas level in the tank. I'm not sure I have enough for this job and I'm afraid I'd burn thru big time and trash my paint if I went w/flux wire.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 47, 48, 49  Next
Jump to:
Page 48 of 49

Jump to: