Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LED Tail/Brake Light Help Needed - '63 Bug 6v
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:01 pm    Post subject: LED Tail/Brake Light Help Needed - '63 Bug 6v Reply with quote

I’m switching to LEDs for my turn signals and tail/brake lights. The turn signals and dash indicator work fine, but I’m not having luck with the tail/brake lights. The incandescent bulbs work correctly … dim when light switch is ON and bright when brakes are applied. When I install LED bulbs that are equivalent to the dual filament incandescent bulbs, the only time the LED bulb comes on is when the brakes are applied. I have contacted the supplier to see what would be needed to get the LEDs to behave as the incandescents do. They have suggested that I “may” need 6 ohm 25 watt LED load equalizers on the brake light wires and “maybe” on the tail light wires as well. “May” and “maybe” ideas sound like they really don’t know and just want me to throw parts at it … at my expense of course.

With the ignition switch in the ON position, these are the readings I get on my meter:

Brakes OFF & Light switch OFF:
Left contact = 0v Right contact = 2.5v

Brakes OFF & Light switch ON:
Left contact = 5.8v Right contact = 2.5v
*The LED bulbs should be on low light in this situation. They are not on at all.

Brakes ON & Light switch OFF:
Left contact = 0v Right contact = 5.6v
*The LED bulbs are on and bright.

Brakes ON & Light switch ON:
Left contact = 5.8v Right contact = 5.6v
*Again, the LED bulbs are on and bright.

I may very well need load equalizers, I’m just hoping those of you who have done this or have a greater understanding of the electrical issues in this situation can give more definitive guidance on how to make these LEDs behave like the incandescents do. Thank you!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Tail/Brake Light Help Needed - '63 Bug 6v Reply with quote

Your tail lights, brake lights, and parking lights should not require anything special to be swapped out for LED bulbs. The turn signals may not work if you swap in LED bulbs without adding load resistors.

I think the stray 2.5 volts on the brake light terminals when the brakes lights are off may be the problem. It is hard to know what the manufacturer put inside your LED bulbs. If you can find and get rid of that voltage the bulbs may work correctly. It should be about 6 volts with the brake lights on, but 0 volts when the brake lights are off (like the tail lights).
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: LED Tail/Brake Light Help Needed - '63 Bug 6v Reply with quote

Thanks EV. The right contact (where the stray 2.5v is) is connected to the black wire which leads back to the brake switch (J3 on the wiring diagram) and then to the fused side of #8. So, maybe a faulty brake switch that is letting voltage leak through? '63 models don't have a brake warning light like my '69, so nothing on the dash to tip me off.

BTW ... When I installed LEDs for the turn signals, I also used the recommended flasher, which is compatible with the LED bulbs. They work perfectly. I had to replace the original bulb holder for the dash turn signal indicator with the later style plastic one with 2 terminals so I could connect the + and ground wires with the correct polarity for the LED dash bulb. After that, the dash bulb worked fine and came on at the same time as the turn signal bulbs.

I'll see if I can isolate the source of the 2.5v on the brake light wire and share what I find.

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Tail/Brake Light Help Needed - '63 Bug 6v Reply with quote

Take the volt readings without the led bulbs installed, rather regular bulbs.
Note that low volts on the brake filaments maybe result of poor contacts in the turn switch assembly, even when no turn is requested at the switch. The brake lamp power passes thru the turn signal switch.

Good luck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Tail/Brake Light Help Needed - '63 Bug 6v Reply with quote

zerotofifty wrote:
Note that low volts on the brake filaments maybe result of poor contacts in the turn switch assembly, even when no turn is requested at the switch. The brake lamp power passes thru the turn signal switch.

Good luck

The voltage readings were taken directly off of the spring tabs in the bottom socket where the dual filament brake/tail light bulb would go with no bulb inserted. This is what the circuits are delivering under each of the scenarios I described. You are suggesting that I remove the rear light assembly, install the incandescent bulb, ground the assembly with a jumper and take readings for the same scenarios as before, correct? I imagine you would also suggest doing this with the LED bulb installed as well, correct?

According to the wiring diagram for a '63 Bug, the power for the brake light circuit originates at the fused side of fuse #8 then passes through the brake switch on the master cylinder and continues on to the tail light assembly. The turn signal switch in the steering column is not part of that circuit.

The tail lights receive power from the fused side of fuses 2 & 3 (fuses 2 & 3 are bridged in the fuse box and the power is supplied to 3 from the light switch on the dash). The turn signal switch in the steering column is not part of this circuit. The only current passing through the turn signal switch is power from the load terminal on the flasher.

Both the flasher for the turn signals and the brake light circuit are connected to the fused side of #8 ... but other than that, do not share any connections.

Perhaps the confusion is in terminology:
Rear turn signal bulb = the top bulb in the rear light assembly.
Tail light bulb and brake light bulb are the same bulb containing 2 filaments = the bottom bulb in the rear light assembly.

The turn signal bulbs (all LEDs) are working correctly and are not part of either the tail light or brake light circuits.

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Tail/Brake Light Help Needed - '63 Bug 6v Reply with quote

My working theory is that your LED bulbs are “smart.” They see the small voltage on the brake light pin as a request to shine on brake light mode, however, 2.5 volts is not enough for them to light. When the tail light power is on they see it as a request for full tail light plus brake light brightness. Since power is available (from the tail light side) it can light up to maximum brightness.

Your turn signal switch should have nothing to do with your tail lights, unless your tail light housing isn’t making a good ground connection.
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Tail/Brake Light Help Needed - '63 Bug 6v Reply with quote

OldSchoolVW's wrote:
zerotofifty wrote:

Good luck

The voltage readings were taken directly off of the spring tabs in the bottom socket where the dual filament brake/tail light bulb would go with no bulb inserted. This is what the circuits are delivering under each of the scenarios I described. You are suggesting that I remove the rear light assembly, install the incandescent bulb, ground the assembly with a jumper and take readings for the same scenarios as before, correct? I imagine you would also suggest doing this with the LED bulb installed as well, correct?

According to the wiring diagram for a '63 Bug, the power for the brake light circuit originates at the fused side of fuse #8 then passes through the brake switch on the master cylinder and continues on to the tail light assembly. The turn signal switch in the steering column is not part of that circuit.

The tail lights receive power from the fused side of fuses 2 & 3 (fuses 2 & 3 are bridged in the fuse box and the power is supplied to 3 from the light switch on the dash). The turn signal switch in the steering column is not part of this circuit. The only current passing through the turn signal switch is power from the load terminal on the flasher.

Both the flasher for the turn signals and the brake light circuit are connected to the fused side of #8 ... but other than that, do not share any connections.

Perhaps the confusion is in terminology:
Rear turn signal bulb = the top bulb in the rear light assembly.
Tail light bulb and brake light bulb are the same bulb containing 2 filaments = the bottom bulb in the rear light assembly.

The turn signal bulbs (all LEDs) are working correctly and are not part of either the tail light or brake light circuits.

ok, 1963 has a separate filament for brake and turn. 1961 uses same filament for both and thus brake signal goes through the turn switch. My bad. but yes check the voltage with a load on them. the regular bulbs are a higher load than an led, and thus will cause that 2.5 volt to likely drop a lot, but an led wont drop it much.
there should not be that 2.5 volt on there when no triggered by the switch.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Tail/Brake Light Help Needed - '63 Bug 6v Reply with quote

Double-check the grounding of the lamp assembly. Sounds like it's finding ground through the "filament" of another bulb or filament, and the partial voltage is what you are seeing (2.5V).

Those look really cleaned so it's doubtful, but I always check the free/easy faults first (or again).
Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Tail/Brake Light Help Needed - '63 Bug 6v Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
My working theory is that your LED bulbs are “smart.” They see the small voltage on the brake light pin as a request to shine on brake light mode, however, 2.5 volts is not enough for them to light. When the tail light power is on they see it as a request for full tail light plus brake light brightness. Since power is available (from the tail light side) it can light up to maximum brightness.

Okay, I think this would be consistent with info from the supplier. They said the LEDs would begin to illuminate at 3.6v and fully illuminate at 4.25v. So maybe this is where the recommended 6 Ohm 25 Watt LED Load Equalizer comes into play?

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Tail/Brake Light Help Needed - '63 Bug 6v Reply with quote

zerotofifty wrote:
yes check the voltage with a load on them. the regular bulbs are a higher load than an led, and thus will cause that 2.5 volt to likely drop a lot, but an led wont drop it much.
there should not be that 2.5 volt on there when no triggered by the switch.

Will do!

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Tail/Brake Light Help Needed - '63 Bug 6v Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Double-check the grounding of the lamp assembly. Sounds like it's finding ground through the "filament" of another bulb or filament, and the partial voltage is what you are seeing (2.5V).

Those look really cleaned so it's doubtful, but I always check the free/easy faults first (or again).

Yes, scraped the daylights out of all the + and ground connections. Even thought about how to add a supplemental ground wire to the housing assembly for good measure, but haven't figured the best way to do that. Seems you can't have too may grounds when dealing with a 6v system. Laughing

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Tail/Brake Light Help Needed - '63 Bug 6v Reply with quote

OldSchoolVW's wrote:
EVfun wrote:

Okay, I think this would be consistent with info from the supplier. They said the LEDs would begin to illuminate at 3.6v and fully illuminate at 4.25v. So maybe this is where the recommended 6 Ohm 25 Watt LED Load Equalizer comes into play?

I would pull out fuse 8 and check your tail light terminals again. This should remove the stray 2.5 volts from the right contact. If it does then try putting the LED bulb in and see if its tail light function works correctly. Naturally the turn signals and brake lights won't work (no power).

If the above gets the tail lights working then I think you need a pull down resistor between the brake light switch output and ground. (Hopefully a 210 ohm 1/4 watt resistor would be enough.) You should be able to do that at any point between output side of the master cylinder to the inside a tail light housing. This should pull the right contact down to 0 volts when fuse 8 is put back in place. I suspect the stray power getting through to the right contact is an electrically leaky brake light switch. There is little else on that circuit branch. The real solution is to replace the brake light switch and bleed the brakes, but current replacements seem to have quality issues of their own.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: LED Tail/Brake Light Help Needed - '63 Bug 6v Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
I would pull out fuse 8 and check your tail light terminals again. This should remove the stray 2.5 volts from the right contact. If it does then try putting the LED bulb in and see if its tail light function works correctly. Naturally the turn signals and brake lights won't work (no power).

If the above gets the tail lights working then I think you need a pull down resistor between the brake light switch output and ground. (Hopefully a 210 ohm 1/4 watt resistor would be enough.) You should be able to do that at any point between output side of the master cylinder to the inside a tail light housing. This should pull the right contact down to 0 volts when fuse 8 is put back in place. I suspect the stray power getting through to the right contact is an electrically leaky brake light switch. There is little else on that circuit branch. The real solution is to replace the brake light switch and bleed the brakes, but current replacements seem to have quality issues of their own.

I remembered reading about this pedal activated brake light switch in another discussion:

https://www.aircooledevolution.com/product-page/pedal-activated-brake-light-switch

Maybe this would be a better work-around. Just take the brake switch on the MC out of the equation. Thoughts?

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: LED Tail/Brake Light Help Needed - '63 Bug 6v Reply with quote

OldSchoolVW's wrote:
EVfun wrote:

I remembered reading about this pedal activated brake light switch in another discussion:

https://www.aircooledevolution.com/product-page/pedal-activated-brake-light-switch

Maybe this would be a better work-around. Just take the brake switch on the MC out of the equation. Thoughts?

I would do the diagnostic work first before applying possible solutions. I suspect your brake light switch has a resistive off state, but in a 60 year old car with untold previous owners there is no telling what was messed up before you.

If it's the brake light switch then a pedal mounted one is a good solution, IMHO. I installed a pedal mounted brake light switch on my beach buggy. They typically light up faster than pressure switches, turning on before the pedal moves enough to cover the bleeder ports in the master cylinder.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: LED Tail/Brake Light Help Needed - '63 Bug 6v Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
I would do the diagnostic work first before applying possible solutions. I suspect your brake light switch has a resistive off state, but in a 60 year old car with untold previous owners there is no telling what was messed up before you.

If it's the brake light switch then a pedal mounted one is a good solution, IMHO. I installed a pedal mounted brake light switch on my beach buggy. They typically light up faster than pressure switches, turning on before the pedal moves enough to cover the bleeder ports in the master cylinder.

Yes, planned to do diagnostics before purchasing/applying any solution(s). The pedal mounted switch just came to mind (in the middle of the night) and I thought it was worth considering as an option if the MC brake switch ends up being the culprit.

The car is very stock. Wiring is as shown in the Bentley wiring diagram with no modifications (with the exception of a HSR I added). I'm the 3rd owner and it appears the POs just let it age unmolested. Fortunate for me since that keeps the Bentley manual relevant.

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Tail/Brake Light Help Needed - '63 Bug 6v Reply with quote

Update ...

So I put the LED tail/brake light bulbs back in to test them, turned the ignition to "ON" and turned on the light switch. To my surprise the tail lights came on at the lower intensity as they should. Then I pushed on the brake pedal and they got bright. This is the first time they have behaved as they are supposed to. The last time I tested them, I got no low intensity tail light ... just the bright intensity when the brakes were applied. I did nothing to the wiring, so I'm guessing it was the brake switch on the master cylinder that was sticking and letting the 2.5v get through which was messing with the LEDs as EV suggested. The brakes are working well, so I'm just going to let the MC be. Since the reliability of the MC brake light switch is questionable, I am inclined to go ahead and install the pedal activated brake switch mentioned earlier and take the MC switch out of the picture.

Thanks to you all for the advice and tips!

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: LED Tail/Brake Light Help Needed - '63 Bug 6v Reply with quote

I had a similar problem with 6v led bulb.

The issue:when lights are on and stop pedal is not pressed, the LED put out some current ALSO from the wiring for the stop function. In fact while the filament bulb has 2 separate filaments, the LED has only 1 emitter, driven to make high or low light.
But the wiring in the car connects the 2 stoplight in parallel.

My solution was to insert a couple of diodes (one foreach side) in series with the stop contact.

The arrangement: buy 2 diodes and sold a male and a female spade connector at diode terminal, then put this circuit between the wiring from the car and the terminal on the rear light... all OK!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: