Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Custom Windshield?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WaterBuggy_24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:58 pm    Post subject: Custom Windshield? Reply with quote

Looking for resources for custom cut glass for my rail buggy. Trying make legal for road use, but I need the d.o.t. approved safety glass. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ty
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Custom Windshield? Reply with quote

Your local auto glass shop will do it. Cost me less than $200 to have them cut a sheet of safety glass out and install it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
racecougar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Custom Windshield? Reply with quote

If you're going for MO plates (going off your KCMO location), you don't have to have a windshield in place for the inspection. If you do install a windshield, you'll have to have a functional windshield wiper.
PhillipM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Custom Windshield? Reply with quote

Almost anywhere that cuts or sells windows should be able to cut and mark you a piece of laminated glass, I think mine cost me £50
Dan_Lockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Custom Windshield? Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
Your local auto glass shop will do it. Cost me less than $200 to have them cut a sheet of safety glass out and install it.

I'm at this stage also.

My original roll hoop had aluminum angle pop-riveted into the inside "round" of the tubes. They used what I would call a tractor weatherstrip with a thin groove outward for the aluminum thin angle and the inner had a groove for the 1/4" thick glass.

I plan on making a small'ish frame for my windshield, probably 1/2" steel angle and curve up around the two upper corners and weld it all up as a one-piece frame. I "was" going to use adhesive to glue the glass into the frame, but last night thought as long as I'm going to have this minimal framework to the outside of my windshield hoop, that I could use a rubber weatherstrip and inset the glass to it and still have a FULL view as the weatherstrip is likely less than 1.5" wide, the width of the hoop tubing.

Where did you get the weatherstrip for the install? I figured with a small external frame, that 3 to 4 tabs along top and bottom with a couple on the uprights, that I can just bolt it to the windshield hoop. The slight lip of the angle will protect the edge of the glass, ever IF it were glued into the frame.

I think Beanie Buggy did something similar to what I'm thinking of doing, of course after I saw his install... Smile

Suggestions?

Thanks, Dan
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Custom Windshield? Reply with quote

I made a 3/4" DOM tubing frame with a 3/4" wide metal strip welded to adhere the glass to. I had a glass shop cut the glass and urethane it to the frame with the usual automotive windshield glue. I have had the car 3 feet in the air multiple times and jumped off a loading dock a few times, as well as doing Hell's and Fins in Moab with the glass in. No problemo! I sorta figured frame flex would break it.

1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Windshield? Reply with quote

racecougar wrote:
If you're going for MO plates (going off your KCMO location), you don't have to have a windshield in place for the inspection. If you do install a windshield, you'll have to have a functional windshield wiper.

Yep! I can 2nd that
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WaterBuggy_24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Windshield? Reply with quote

I appreciate all the feedback everyone. I went to one autoglass business and they did cut glass. I'm thinking they just install OEM windshields. There's plenty around I'll keep searching. In the meantime I've got a piece of half inch lexan or polycarbonate. It's shatterproof. It scratches easier though.
PhillipM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Custom Windshield? Reply with quote

Go to a commercial window place, somewhere that does flat plate windows, not an autoglass fitter.
Dan_Lockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Windshield? Reply with quote

Talked to my glass guy this afternoon. He's a local gut to where I used to live in Midland MI. He does all sorts of auto glass and classics with lots of flat glass.

I got my 1/2"x1/2"x1/8" angle iron this afternoon and will make up my perimeter frame and get the window bead locking gasket/weatherstripping to go with it. This way if I break one, it's a matter of just peeling back the locking strip and put in a new glass.

I told him that I may have an issue finding a good place to mount my wiper motor and he said that I can just do a halfmoon along the bottom edge of the frame wherever it needs to be and he will lay in the weatherstripping and he will cut the glass to fit.

I will put it all together and cut out a piece of Masonite as a fake windshield and he then will just make the new glass the same as my Masonite pattern... Easy peazy he said... Smile

I'll have just under 7 square feet of glass at $21/s/f and he'll charge me $50 labor to cut and install it in my painted windshield frame.

This won't be for a few more weeks, but I will post when it's done.

I know I hijacked this thread and I'm sorry for that, but I do greatly appreciate all the direction and ideas!

Dan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: