Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is this distributor compatible?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteelersBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:34 am    Post subject: Is this distributor compatible? Reply with quote

1974 Westy
2000cc engine
Solid Lifters
Single progressive Weber

Yes, I know the progressive Weber isn’t ideal. But it’s what is currently on the engine.

https://socalautoparts.com/product/pertronix-d182604-flame-thrower-electronic-distributor/

Is this distributor compatible with this setup? Tried ordering a SVDA from aircooled.net but it says they’re not currently taking orders.

Any suggestions on a good distributor for this setup is greatly appreciated. Please include link as to where they’re sold.

Thanks for any and all info.
Key all your Locks to one Key.
[email protected]

Granny Grose's Buses 19
May 30 - June 2, 2024
Millmont, PA
https://www.facebook.com/groups/333391253346965/

70 Campmobile, 70 Sedan, 71 SO-69 Westy, & 74 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Is this distributor compatible? Reply with quote

beats me, but bill might know.

https://www.sparxwerks.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SteelersBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Is this distributor compatible? Reply with quote

dodger tom wrote:
beats me, but bill might know.

https://www.sparxwerks.com/

I did message. But have not heard back. Thanks
Key all your Locks to one Key.
[email protected]

Granny Grose's Buses 19
May 30 - June 2, 2024
Millmont, PA
https://www.facebook.com/groups/333391253346965/

70 Campmobile, 70 Sedan, 71 SO-69 Westy, & 74 Westy
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Is this distributor compatible? Reply with quote

unless you carburetor has a vacuum advance port on it , you are stuck with a 009 type of distributor that is mechanical only.

Belts, wallets, mouse pads, drink coasters, Engraving, most things made in leather.

personal items if you want it in leather in Reno Nv, *****
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Is this distributor compatible? Reply with quote

Different progressives have different advance ports, and even then the vacuum could be affected by how you set your idle speed screw. For now, you can warm up your engine and put a vacuum gauge in it. If no vacuum, that distributor will work perfectly. If you have something like 5-8”hg, it will probably work. If you’re getting full manifold vacuum (above 12”hg) then no vacuum distributor will work with that carb.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this distributor compatible? Reply with quote

I've heard different results for getting ported vacuum on the progressive carbs like I shared with Justin via email.

What I'd do is T in a vacuum gauge between the ported vacuum port on the carb if there is one and a vacuum canister on your existing distributor. Start it up and rev the engine. Once the throttle plate opens you'll get the ported vacuum. You only want ported vacuum to work the canister.

Ideally you'd want around 200 MM hg of ported vacuum for an SVDA or DVDA distributor.

I replied to your email as well.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this distributor compatible? Reply with quote

I cannot recommend that distributor. In your case I’d recommend a classic Bosch 010 or 019 cast iron distributor available from Glenn Ring in New York. Pricey but worth it. You need a centrifugal advance distributor.

https://www.glenn-ring.com/

My customers have been very happy using one of his classic distributors
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this distributor compatible? Reply with quote

Glenn Ring retired from the distributor business as an FYI to all. I also wouldn't run an 009 or 010 and especially not a 019 mechanical advance only distributor in a heavy bay bus.

I have other bus specific distributors that have better curves for that application that work great with carbs that don't provide the necessary ported vacuum to work the vacuum canister.

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this distributor compatible? Reply with quote

Interesting about Glenn. I’d love to know what alternative distributors you’d recommend.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Is this distributor compatible? Reply with quote

123Tune distributor.
Brand new quality SVDA style distributor that looks stockish, and you can set the vacuum advance to match your progressive, they even work with manifold vacuum at idle by allowing programming in a lower cutoff RPM for vacuum advance. Or program for 009 industrial engine style centrifugal only advance.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Is this distributor compatible? Reply with quote

mikedjames wrote:
123Tune distributor.
Brand new quality SVDA style distributor that looks stockish, and you can set the vacuum advance to match your progressive, they even work with manifold vacuum at idle by allowing programming in a lower cutoff RPM for vacuum advance. Or program for 009 industrial engine style centrifugal only advance.

With a fully closed throttle, are these units able to cut off all advance when coupled with a throttle switch?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Is this distributor compatible? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
mikedjames wrote:
123Tune distributor.

With a fully closed throttle, are these units able to cut off all advance when coupled with a throttle switch?

By programming the response to vaccunm, yes. But not with an electronic switch.

The 123 doesn't run best with manifold vacuum from a carb. Not all progressive provide ported throttle.

There is no app for getting into the engine bay and testing what you have.
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this distributor compatible? Reply with quote

What cam do you have?

What distributor do you currently have on the engine? You might not need to change anything. You may just need to do some tuning.

Here's a topic about the progressive weber:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386388

There's nothing wrong with a 010 in the right bus. VW made them for some busses.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this distributor compatible? Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
There's nothing wrong with a 010 in the right bus. VW made them for some busses.

The 010 originally came on the 1959-1960 Bus that has a 40hp Type 1 engine.

The OP has a Bay Window with a Type 4 engine.

Apples and Bowling Balls.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this distributor compatible? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

The OP has a Bay Window with a Type 4 engine.

Maybe. Could have a modified engine with a modified cam.

Glenn wrote:

Apples and Bowling Balls.

Do those go well with the loose marbles?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this distributor compatible? Reply with quote

The 010 is a fine distributor for a weber progressive- better than the 019.

If you timed both at 30° max advance, the 010 will have a higher idle timing, which aftermarket carbs seem to like. Stock carbs have special circuits to use more retarded idle timing, so the 019 can work better in those applications.

If you're just trying to get the engine going, anything will work and get you to the beach so you can change into your wetsuit.

If you want the best performance, test your vacuum port at idle. If no vacuum, get the SVDA. If high vacuum at warm idle, get the 010 or German 009.

Robbie
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this distributor compatible? Reply with quote

In my opinion, I try to run either an SVDA or DVDA when I can. Otherwise I prefer the 010 or 019 when the vacuum from the carb/carbs isn’t known or not there. I have had bad luck with Chinese distributors like pertronics. My current project is a 1972 bus with a 123 distributor provided by the bus owner. Right now it seems to work great but we had trouble providing vacuum to it since the dual Weber 40IDA’s don’t seem to have enough ported vacuum so we robbed it off the brake booster vacuum bung
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Is this distributor compatible? Reply with quote

From the Aircooled post:
[email protected] wrote:

MAKING PROGRESSIVES WORK

If you have an EMPI progressive, you got hosed. Get a real Weber DFAV/DFEV.

Don't run a 009 or other centrifugal only distributor. They suck! Run our SVDA, it will make your tuning job MUCH easier. Good progressive carbs HAVE the proper port for the SVDA

Here's an SVDA that would work. I use Genuine OEM Bosch vacuum canisters on my rebuilds not those aftermarket ones. I also use Genuine fiber Bosch washers. Not many people around that still have those.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2619759

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Is this distributor compatible? Reply with quote

I have all the SVDA and DVDA distributors in stock. I can also adjust the distributor to meet the application.

Here's one that would work nicely in that application-

https://www.sparxwerks.com/product/restored-german...amp;q=true

I also have other SVDA's as well-

https://www.sparxwerks.com/s/search?q=svda

mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Is this distributor compatible? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
mikedjames wrote:
123Tune distributor.

The 123Tune family do not use a throttle switch, they use a lower RPM cutoff below which the vacuum is ignored. They are sold as designed to work with either ported or manifold vacuum as a result.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: