Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Single Cab Owner's Manual and Folder Questions
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sebastian Gaeta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:42 pm    Post subject: Single Cab Owner's Manual and Folder Questions Reply with quote

Greetings,

I finally located the correct owner's manual for my '66 single cab which is due to arrive early April.

A few questions...

- Did these come with the typical blue vinyl dealer folder along with the service booklet etc?

- Does anyone know were they were typically kept in the truck back in the day? The only two places I can see are the door pocket and the parcel shelf, neither of which is ideal.

- Also, was the Operation Log supplied with trucks by all dealers or was that something only a few dealer supplied?

Many thanks.

'63 Beetle Turkis
‘64 Karmann Ghia Coupe Manilagelb/Black Roof
'64 356C cabriolet Signalrot
'65 356C coupe Rubinrot
'66 Single Cab Velvet Green
'67 Karmann Ghia convertible Heliosblau
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Owner's Manual and Folder Questions Reply with quote

Storage of the owners manual was totally up to the VW owner. VW shipped the OM in a box along with other parts like the outside mirror head in the front seat area.

Door pockets were no longer a stock item after 1961.

As for a "Operation Log", that is not something we have heard of. Please do post an image of that please.
Sebastian Gaeta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Owner's Manual and Folder Questions Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Storage of the owners manual was totally up to the VW owner. VW shipped the OM in a box along with other parts like the outside mirror head in the front seat area.

Door pockets were no longer a stock item after 1961.

As for a "Operation Log", that is not something we have heard of. Please do post an image of that please.

Thanks E&B,

Yes, obviously it was up to the owner, I was just curious if there was somewhere I haven't thought about yet. There is nowhere convenient that's for sure Smile

The Operation Log looked like this.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/dealers/haunmotors_bluefield_wv.php

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'63 Beetle Turkis
'65 356C coupe Rubinrot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Owner's Manual and Folder Questions Reply with quote

Cool!! Personally have never seen a copy of that log, so most likely a dealer option to offer or dress up a truck.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Owner's Manual and Folder Questions Reply with quote

Very cool, and no, I haven't ever seen that booklet before either. I'm betting that VWoA had a few dealerships give these booklet/logs with commercial types of Transporters as a way to obtain data for advertising the saving benefits of using a commercial Transporter in a business versus USA brand trucks. Notice that the booklet asks that the owner/driver mail the used log back to VWoA and that the used log plus a new one too and a gift would be sent back to the owner/driver. I'm pretty sure that VWoA was simply looking for operational savings data and that they could then use in ad brochures to tout the VW commercial line. Well, that makes sense to me anyway.

Very cool, I wish I had one in my literature collection. I bet Lind does!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Owner's Manual and Folder Questions Reply with quote

Any chance of a really good scan going in the Technical archives?
"If Von Dutch was alive, he'd walk in there with a pistol and shoot these people."
-Robert Williams
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Owner's Manual and Folder Questions Reply with quote

Sebastian Gaeta wrote:
I finally located the correct owner's manual for my '66 single cab which is due to arrive early April.

A few questions...

- Did these come with the typical blue vinyl dealer folder along with the service booklet etc?

- Does anyone know were they were typically kept in the truck back in the day? The only two places I can see are the door pocket and the parcel shelf, neither of which is ideal.

I would say Yes on the dealer folder, assuming that dealer had one they gave out.
I'm not sure that is universally true.

Good question.
The folder doesn't fit in the door pocket very well, I keep my packet on the parcel tray as long as I'm sure it's not going to get wet.

The few Buses I've bought that had an original owner's manual or dealer coupons books or a more complete dealer packet - it wasn't in the vehicle at all, the owner had it inside their house for safe keeping.

Other VWs I've owned it was in the glovebox but that's safer.

Yes, that log book is a 1-off thing that I have almost never seen for sale and I'm not sure I've ever see one in real life.

If someone has one, it would be great to add a PDF to the site.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Owner's Manual and Folder Questions Reply with quote

Quote:

Well, Sebastian has one :)

If you are willing, even a home scanner should work, though a larger flatbed would get a two-page spread in a single scan.
"If Von Dutch was alive, he'd walk in there with a pistol and shoot these people."
-Robert Williams
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Owner's Manual and Folder Questions Reply with quote

70bus wrote:
Quote:

Well, Sebastian has one Smile

If you are willing, even a home scanner should work, though a larger flatbed would get a two-page spread in a single scan.

I could be mistaken but it looks like he posted the pics from the dealer page above. Smile

I looked at the "What's New" on the site and user
banana split
submitted it in 2018 (Or I stole his ad pics) but that 100% means he was selling it and someone new owns it now.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sebastian Gaeta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Owner's Manual and Folder Questions Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
70bus wrote:
Quote:

Well, Sebastian has one Smile

I could be mistaken but it looks like he posted the pics from the dealer page above. Smile

I looked at the "What's New" on the site and user
banana split
submitted it in 2018 (Or I stole his ad pics) but that 100% means he was selling it and someone new owns it now.

Yes, that is correct that I do not have one but have reached out to Jason to see if he has another available.

I could also make a high quality reproduction with the aforementioned HD scans, but let's see if I can come up with a real one first.

Thanks to all for the great info.

'63 Beetle Turkis
'65 356C coupe Rubinrot
Sebastian Gaeta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Owner's Manual and Folder Questions Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Sebastian Gaeta wrote:

A few questions...

I would say Yes on the dealer folder, assuming that dealer had one they gave out.
I'm not sure that is universally true.

Good question.
The folder doesn't fit in the door pocket very well, I keep my packet on the parcel tray as long as I'm sure it's not going to get wet.

The few Buses I've bought that had an original owner's manual or dealer coupons books or a more complete dealer packet - it wasn't in the vehicle at all, the owner had it inside their house for safe keeping.

Other VWs I've owned it was in the glovebox but that's safer.

Yes, that log book is a 1-off thing that I have almost never seen for sale and I'm not sure I've ever see one in real life.

Thanks you Everett,

As for it being a one-off I do wonder if it may have been a distributor issued piece since there is a spot for a dealer stamp.

'63 Beetle Turkis
'65 356C coupe Rubinrot
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Owner's Manual and Folder Questions Reply with quote

Ah, I saw Sebastian had posted them on his photos page this morning.

A repro would be fun to fill out.
-Robert Williams
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Owner's Manual and Folder Questions Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Very cool, and no, I haven't ever seen that booklet before either. I'm betting that VWoA had a few dealerships give these booklet/logs with commercial types of Transporters as a way to obtain data for advertising the saving benefits of using a commercial Transporter in a business versus USA brand trucks. Notice that the booklet asks that the owner/driver mail the used log back to VWoA and that the used log plus a new one too and a gift would be sent back to the owner/driver. I'm pretty sure that VWoA was simply looking for operational savings data and that they could then use in ad brochures to tout the VW commercial line. Well, that makes sense to me anyway.

Bill

Of course, I have an NOS one.

The operation log was part of the commercial advertising campaign in the '59-'60 era. It was used to track all the expenses of operation over a year and then you would send it in and if you were lucky, your company would be featured in the owner's viewpoint or a similar piece of literature. Look at the operation costs for each featured company.

It is not very useful for long term records, as it is set up for just one year. I have reproduced it with more useful pages inside. I occasionally have them at shows. I gave some to my local club, the Bus Pilots Association to give away at shows. I gave some to SOTO to give away at their shows a couple years ago. I might print up some more for Kelley Park.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/60ownersviewpoint.php

For the owner's manual folder, there were a few styles. By the mid '60s, most dealerships were using the tri-fold blue style, which kind of suck. The owner's manual doesn't fit in them all that well. The grey version came into use around that time, although they are usually later. They work much better for things to fit into the folder.

I highly recommend keeping all that stuff inside a ziplock bag so that it doesn't get wet. I keep my stuff on the dashtray.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information

Last edited by Lind on Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sebastian Gaeta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Owner's Manual and Folder Questions Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
BulliBill wrote:

Bill

Of course, I have an NOS one.

The operation log was part of the commercial advertising campaign in the '59-'60 era. It was used to track all the expenses of operation over a year and then you would send it in and if you were lucky, your company would be featured in the owner's viewpoint or a similar piece of literature. Look at the operation costs for each featured company.

It is not very useful for long term records, as it is set up for just one year. I have reproduced it with more useful pages inside. I occasionally have them at shows. I gave some to my local club, the Bus Pilots Association to give away at shows. I gave some to SOTO to give away at their shows a couple years ago. I might print up some more for Kelley Park.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/60ownersviewpoint.php

For the owner's manual folder, there were a few styles. By the mid '60s, most dealerships were using the tri-fold blue style, which kind of suck. The owner's manual doesn't fit in them all that well. The grey version came into use around that time, although they are usually later. They work much better for things to fit into the folder.

I highly recommend keeping all that stuff inside a ziplock bag so that it doesn't get wet. I keep my stuff on the dashtray.

Thanks so much Lind for posting the Owner's Viewpoint that shows the results of owner's filling out the log. So now yet another Holy Grail for me to chase!

'63 Beetle Turkis
'65 356C coupe Rubinrot
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: