Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

escutcheon tool alternatives (removing headlight switch)
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbclem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:29 pm    Post subject: escutcheon tool alternatives (removing headlight switch) Reply with quote

I've misplaced my escutcheon tool and just had to remove my headlight switch using a needle nose pliers and small screwdrivers. What a PITA that was, and scratches all over...and I'm thinking there must be some ideas here for an easier way to do this. Any home made tool plans or other ideas, please share them...I have to take the headlight switch off again soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: escutcheon tool alternatives (removing headlight switch) Reply with quote

Get a 5/8” or 1/2” flat washer with a 1/4” interior hole. cut a chunks out to the center hole. and grab it with vice grips. Stick the curved edge into the nut, and twist!

Opening in washer is for the threaded knob post.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: escutcheon tool alternatives (removing headlight switch) Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=559525&highlight=escutcheon+tool
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElJlTpXP4QA
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: escutcheon tool alternatives (removing headlight switch) Reply with quote

Haven't some used a golf spike wrench?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: escutcheon tool alternatives (removing headlight switch) Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Just made one this week, i stole Dave, djkeev's idea. Works perfect, 100 times better than messing with needle nose pliers or ring tools.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I bought the tool from CIP1 and bent the tines trying to get my light switch out.

This homemade alternative is a great idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: escutcheon tool alternatives (removing headlight switch) Reply with quote

My wife's 45° angled needle-nose plyers did the trick for me:

zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: escutcheon tool alternatives (removing headlight switch) Reply with quote

I dont install that nut very tight, and a dab of lube on assembly makes them easy to remove. I use needle nosed pliers, easy peasy.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: escutcheon tool alternatives (removing headlight switch) Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

Do they still make those things?
Don't get me wrong, it's a great idea and I never thought of using a golf spike tool.
It's just that the new golf shoes use those "daisy" type spikes.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: escutcheon tool alternatives (removing headlight switch) Reply with quote

I made some from coupling nuts for both sizes. Use a nut driver for a handle

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: escutcheon tool alternatives (removing headlight switch) Reply with quote

Since we are showing each other, our own. Snap On makes them, or did!

Even has dimensions!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: escutcheon tool alternatives (removing headlight switch) Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Cusser wrote:

Do they still make those things?
Don't get me wrong, it's a great idea and I never thought of using a golf spike tool.
It's just that the new golf shoes use those "daisy" type spikes.

Even the "soft spikes" on modern golf shoes use a wrench to R&R, have two small holes. Those do wear out or fall out sometimes.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Seb67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: escutcheon tool alternatives (removing headlight switch) Reply with quote

Wolfsburg west sells one!

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111941000
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: escutcheon tool alternatives (removing headlight switch) Reply with quote

I maed dis

If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: