Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Suggested Battery for Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Lewalski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

So... who has some suggestions for low cost group 41/T5/T6 batteries that are currently available?
My son's battery gave up the ghost and I'd like to point him in the right direction. He is on a budget just like the rest of us.

Also, I'm a Costco member but how in the heck do you figure out how to price batteries by group number instead of the Costco online battery finder? Maybe I should just call...

After I have killed many new batteries over the years on my Thing and Vanagons because I ended up not driving them, I will finally do the right thing and buy a trickle charger/maintainer like I should have so long ago. I did learn to disconnect the positive post which slowed down the discharge. - just kinda thinking out loud here...

Mark
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

Mark Lewalski wrote:
So... who has some suggestions for low cost group 41/T5/T6 batteries that are currently available?
My son's battery gave up the ghost and I'd like to point him in the right direction. He is on a budget just like the rest of us.

Also, I'm a Costco member but how in the heck do you figure out how to price batteries by group number instead of the Costco online battery finder? Maybe I should just call...

After I have killed many new batteries over the years on my Thing and Vanagons because I ended up not driving them, I will finally do the right thing and buy a trickle charger/maintainer like I should have so long ago. I did learn to disconnect the positive post which slowed down the discharge. - just kinda thinking out loud here...

Mark

Unless you like making sparks and having a burning hot wrench in your hands, remove the negative cable and not the positive one.

It's not worth buying a cheap battery even if you are on a budget, and the difference in price likely isn't that great while a better battery can last twice as long.
Mark Lewalski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

Yep, I typed that wrong... I disconnect the negative.

Only on my first cup of coffee during my earlier post.

Mark
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Mark Lewalski wrote:

Mark

Unless you like making sparks and having a burning hot wrench in your hands, remove the negative cable and not the positive one.

It's not worth buying a cheap battery even if you are on a budget, and the difference in price likely isn't that great while a better battery can last twice as long.

What difference does the polarity make with regard to current?
Mark Lewalski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggested Battery for Westy Reply with quote

Taking the negative lead off of the battery just prevents the issue of completing a circuit if, while taking off the positive lead, you touch the wrench to the body. Taking off the negative lead is safer.

Mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: