Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Split Case Transaxle To Tunnel Transaxle - Any Parts Reuseable?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:42 pm    Post subject: Split Case Transaxle To Tunnel Transaxle - Any Parts Reuseable? Reply with quote

I just dismantled my '59 split case transaxle. This transaxle was a spare and not in use other than as an engine stand. It is not the numbers matching transaxle to my '59 bug unfortunately.

First gear on the mainshaft looks rough and has some nicks, but the axles, differential assembly and the pinion gear stack look pretty good, at least to my untrained eyes. Synchros look nice and also no chips/missing teeth on the gears themselves that I can see.

Will any external parts off this split case unit fit the '61 tunnel trans currently in my '59 bug? I'm wondering in particular if the axles will swap. If not I'm not going to keep anything other than the housing which will become part of a test engine stand

Ted
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Case Transaxle To Tunnel Transaxle - Any Parts Reuseable? Reply with quote

Axle tubes and axles can be used on later swingaxles. I hear they are lighter than later short axles.
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Case Transaxle To Tunnel Transaxle - Any Parts Reuseable? Reply with quote

Nice, great to hear this. Thank you EVFun. I'll be sure and hold onto the axles and axle tubes.

Guess its time to take apart that ring gear and diff so I can harvest these.

Ted
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Case Transaxle To Tunnel Transaxle - Any Parts Reuseable? Reply with quote

you can use the axles, axle tubes, and fulcrums, but thats it. PM me if you would sell the ring and pinion
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: Split Case Transaxle To Tunnel Transaxle - Any Parts Reuseable? Reply with quote

Side gears and spider gears are the same. Axles are identical to 66.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Split Case Transaxle To Tunnel Transaxle - Any Parts Reuseable? Reply with quote

esde wrote:
you can use the axles, axle tubes, and fulcrums, but thats it. PM me if you would sell the ring and pinion

PM sent, thanks esde

Ted
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Split Case Transaxle To Tunnel Transaxle - Any Parts Reuseable? Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Side gears and spider gears are the same. Axles are identical to 66.

Interesting I didn't know that about the side gears and spider gears.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Case Transaxle To Tunnel Transaxle - Any Parts Reuseable? Reply with quote

Save them nuts and bolts -

The rest can go to the bonfire.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: