Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EVC Water Intrusion and Resulting Interior Removal Question
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maurz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: EVC Water Intrusion and Resulting Interior Removal Question Reply with quote

So, the interior of my van looks like this right now.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am not quite sure how to get the big section of cabinetry out. I have been wrestling with the back panel where the water fill and storage is. I Think I got it figured out

But cant seem to get is loose, anyone what has tackled this know if I should be trying to take out the large section first to gain access to the back of this panel?

I am hesitant to pull too hard on the plastic as I could not imagine trying to find replacements. Pulling harder revealed some clips.

Also,

The back 1/4 of my floor was pretty much rotted away and the worst was near the back passenger corner. I assume the culprit is the window but anyone else had a different issue?

There were some mushrooms growing out of the floor there in the corner if anyone wants to try them just let me know and ill stick them in the mail Shocked

Last edited by Maurz on Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
tds3pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: EVC Water Intrusion and Resulting Interior Removal Question Reply with quote

I just had the identical problem....leak at the right rear corner.

It was leaking around the window frame between the frame and the body. I found it by using a garden hose on the window.

The fix was easy. I blew out the space between the window frame with compressed air to remove all water, cleaned it with alcohol and let it dry. I then masked on both sides of the seam and applied flowable silicone windshield sealant (it's available in most auto parts stores in a small tube). The sealant flows into the gap and is clear, so the repair is not visible.

When dry I tested it with a hose......dry as a bone.

I'll pass on the mushrooms, but thanks. 😄
'79 Westy...Oscar
'95 Eurovan Camper/5 spd...Marsha Mellow
Maurz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: EVC Water Intrusion and Resulting Interior Removal Question Reply with quote

tds3pete wrote:
I just had the identical problem....leak at the right rear corner.

It was leaking around the window frame between the frame and the body. I found it by using a garden hose on the window.

That is a pretty novel idea I think I will do that. The PO had installed a higher GPM water pump I thought may be the culprit as well so this will at least give me a definitive on the window.

So you did the sealing on the outside if I am reading correct? And just masked off the frame and body just adjacent to each side of the frame than applied it?
tds3pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: EVC Water Intrusion and Resulting Interior Removal Question Reply with quote

Maurz wrote:

So you did the sealing on the outside if I am reading correct? And just masked off the frame and body just adjacent to each side of the frame than applied it?

Yes and yes
'79 Westy...Oscar
'95 Eurovan Camper/5 spd...Marsha Mellow
Summers420us
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: EVC Water Intrusion and Resulting Interior Removal Question Reply with quote

Would be great if you posted picks of where the clips and screws are to remove the interior. Would be helpful for anyone following in your path. Wink
Maurz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: EVC Water Intrusion and Resulting Interior Removal Question Reply with quote

Summers420us wrote:
Would be great if you posted picks of where the clips and screws are to remove the interior. Would be helpful for anyone following in your path. Wink

I will post some pics! There are probably 75 screws. Hopefully my photos and labeled ziploc bags will be enough to keep me organized.
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: EVC Water Intrusion and Resulting Interior Removal Question Reply with quote

the other culprit is often the black rubber pieces where the tent top meets the channels on the roof.

there are four of them, essentially in each corner of the top. A good amount of silicone around the edges will hold for a year or so, but to really seal them you'll want to pull them all out and lay a huge amount of silicone down through the whole thing.
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: EVC Water Intrusion and Resulting Interior Removal Question Reply with quote

while you've got all that stuff out, take the time to dye your panels back to OG color. the van will look amazing when it gets back together:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=646955&highlight=panel

Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: EVC Water Intrusion and Resulting Interior Removal Question Reply with quote

oh, sorry.. third post:

that panel you were having trouble getting out: you've got to unhook the fresh water fill tube and remove the fuse panel (it unscrews then pushes back through the hole in the plastic panel)... also the 12v and 110 outlet need to be removed. otherwise, it's just three (two?) little screws visible on the bottom of that panel below the fuse box. the panel wedges in there, so wiggle it out and be careful not to stress it too much as these things love to crack.

Last edited by DenverB on Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: EVC Water Intrusion and Resulting Interior Removal Question Reply with quote

geez, i should read all before posting.. fourth post:

the screws and clips are all very obvious when pulling these things apart -- there's only two screw lenghths, and taht's really the only thing to keep straight when putting it back together (frankly it doesn't even really matter, but we're VW people so right is right, right?).

It's about as straighforward as it gets... though it's very fiddly work. the three screws on the floor holding the furnace panel down are a beotch to get at, for example... I've found that working from the front of the van to the back produces the easiest removal (start with the cross panel where the poptop latches are).... the only other bitch is the right rear panel... you'll have to remove the seatbelt at the lower mounting point to get it all the way out -- and don't drop the nut down in the channel between the wheel arch and the body or you'll add an extra 15 minutes of fishing to your timeline... lol

TREELINE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: EVC Water Intrusion and Resulting Interior Removal Question Reply with quote

DenverB wrote:
the other culprit is often the black rubber pieces where the tent top meets the channels on the roof.

there are four of them, essentially in each corner of the top. A good amount of silicone around the edges will hold for a year or so, but to really seal them you'll want to pull them all out and lay a huge amount of silicone down through the whole thing.

I believe this was the leak source on my 03 Weekender! Rain coming in below fuse box.. The front passengers side was all sealed up but the drivers side was basically a flap. I lifted the flap and filled with silicon and covered with 4" clear waterproof tape (used tape for pop top canvas repair too). Thank you for posting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: