Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbolner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

One thing to check on MSD clones and CB Magnaspark distributors is under the rotor. It seems to bind a little with the mechanical advance. I got my new clone from Southwest performance on eBay for $75 and took it apart to check it out. Re-did the air gap and changed the springs and felt the advance not returning smoothly. Pics below are where they were binding on the cross castings. On the MSD clone rotor there was a nub from casting I cut off, on the CB rotor I shaved a little off the cross casting. The CB magnaspark is on my manx when I put the new motor in and it was kind of lazy and timing was odd if you know what I mean. Thought it was the heavy springs.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

For jpaull, I'll be testing out the Intellitronix box and MSD 8253 coil at our next Drags in Feb. or March (rains alot in Hilo) to see if it will handle the lower mH of the coil. Tech guy said no lower than 4mH but I think it'll be ok as long as the spark plug gap is not to wide. Also, Ebay has 25ohm FAST spark plug wire sets. I got a V8 set for $25.
[/img][/youtube][/list]
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

I have 2 random questions:

1. Have you ever been shocked by a cdi, eg pull the spark plug wire when the car is running to check for a plugged idle jet or something and you got zapped?. How does that compare to getting shocked from a 110v household socket, eg plugging in something and your finger hits the prong? I got shocked the other week from the CDI and I expected more. Obviously that is not a good test for the power output, but just curious. The spark was firing from the plug wire to the dist car a good two inches and it was very bright white in color.

2. Why do some cdi's have a power and a negative wire that are both supposed to connect directly to the battery per the instructions while others just have a ground wire and a 12v switch wire?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

74_Thing, If you go back and review this thread. JPaull got zapped by KingVW's coil while bench testing it. That looked like it hurt.

As an example to your wiring question. The Crane Hi6N CDI uses power and ground directly to the battery and switched power when the ignition is activated.
There is no power draw from the battery when the ignition is off.

I realize this doesn't answer your question as to why they are wired differently, but I would assume it has to do with different manufacturers power and grounding requirements.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Fred Winterburn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Most CDIs use a high frequency power supply to charge the capacitor. That type doesn't need a heavy power wire directly from the battery. The old MSD 6A used to charge the capacitor in one shot, IE one quarter cycle so MSD put two big transistors in parallel and wired the collectors directly to the battery. That system has the advantage of being almost immune to increases in rpm as the charging time is so short to begin with. Fred

74 Thing wrote:

1. Have you ever been shocked by a cdi, eg pull the spark plug wire when the car is running to check for a plugged idle jet or something and you got zapped?. How does that compare to getting shocked from a 110v household socket, eg plugging in something and your finger hits the prong? I got shocked the other week from the CDI and I expected more. Obviously that is not a good test for the power output, but just curious. The spark was firing from the plug wire to the dist car a good two inches and it was very bright white in color.

2. Why do some cdi's have a power and a negative wire that are both supposed to connect directly to the battery per the instructions while others just have a ground wire and a 12v switch wire?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

So it has to do with the capacitor and how it is charged. Thanks.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

RBolner, Great catch on the caps needing clearance for the advance. I remember doing that same thing to a few. Its a great reminder to check functionality of aftermarket parts.

That intellitronix and 8253 HVC2 coil should be a very interesting combo. Glad your giving it a try.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Fred Winterburn wrote:
Most CDIs use a high frequency power supply to charge the capacitor. That type doesn't need a heavy power wire directly from the battery. The old MSD 6A used to charge the capacitor in one shot, IE one quarter cycle so MSD put two big transistors in parallel and wired the collectors directly to the battery. That system has the advantage of being almost immune to increases in rpm as the charging time is so short to begin with. Fred

74 Thing wrote:

When 74Thing asked this question, I was thinking that you would be able to explain this best, thank you Fred for replying.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:

I can understand why your asking very well. Its a great question. With 120/240v, your getting a continuous flow of power to your body. So however long your connected to the circuit, your recieving power. I have got zapped with both. How well of a path to ground you are matters. How long did you touch the live power of course matters. Keep holding on, it keeps delivering power to you. If your standing barefoot in some water, Electricity is gonna look at you like a sex addict to a hooker on payday.

Working on a main panel,I was connecting some CT's for a sense energy moniter, and i got a 240v zap from touching a insulated wire. Doesnt seem possible, but i jumped bout 3 feet in the air and had a boost of energy for the next hour. But if i was any better of a ground, maybe heart issues or death. Good reason to wear gloves working around live power.

On CDI, your getting a blip of energy. amperage and voltage varies. But its not like a continuous power flow like 120/240v. When i got zapped by the 7al2 with the 2 amp coil, it was intense. I think i would have prefered a 120v zap in that instance lol

Ever got shocked by a motor that is not grounded? Thats a leak to ground zap, not usually a full power zap like connecting a circuit via hot leg. My buffer does this all the time. its on a ungrounded outlet, and every time i touch the buffer i get a zap. Sometimes i would simply put a knee on the post base and let the gradual leak to ground pass through me vs getting a sudden shock of getting a build up zap. (Not promoting this at all). I now have a grounded outlet, thats the right thing to do.

On DC power thats continuous, like 12v systems. You can get similar continous flow shocks like 120/240 if you offer up your body as a nice ground properly lol.

As you go up in DC voltage, the danger goes up. I run Nissan leaf battery cells in a 48v DC circuit in a offgrid office, this is one example where extra safety is required. 48v of DC=Death

Variable speed motors like Pool Pumps, Variable speed Heating and air compressors, Ductless mini split compressors, and variable speed heat pump water heater compressors are awesome, but they all do one thing, they leak a small amount of energy to ground. Not enough to waste, but enough to trigger a GFCI breaker with nuisance trips, or, give someone a shock that thinks a ground/bond wire in a panel or anywhere before it is safe to touch.

74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation.
rbolner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Howzit guys. Well I had a chance to try out the Intellitronics ignition box but only a few runs as weather for us hasn't been great for drags. I did try it out with the MSD 8253 coil but wouldn't recommend it. It didn't shut the box down but while running it the light indicator blinks red (should be green) which means it senses a problem with it not being compatible. It did still run the same ET's but seemed retarded and grunty sounding. Wasn't smooth or clean. When I first started it, cranked right up with touch of the key and seemed really good, but after that, longer to start and engine got hot quick. I swapped the coil to a Flamethrower 3 ohm canister and back to normal. Green light blinking, quick revs and smooth like my old wasted spark Compu-troncs DIS system. Only got five runs and played with timing. Nothing changed. I will try the Crane box next time as my F.A.S.T. coil finally came in (PS92N) We did have fun though. Below is a pic of my rusty beeter.

jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Rbolner, Awesome picture of your car on 2 wheels!! Thats awesome!

Those guys at intellitronix were not joking when they said 4mH inductance or higher. That 8253 is 3.5mH, that fact that it gives you the red blinking light for being .5mH over its threshold is surprising.

A Blaster SS is 6.9 and would be a great match, its way more efficient then the 8202 they recommended, also longer spark duration, more peak current, and its still way over their 4mH inductance limit so it should be safe. Im suprised they recommended a 8202 before, as its a 8.0 inductance, less efficient, leak peak output, less spark duration.

The Crane/Fast box and the PS92 will be a nice combo. you can use the blue MSD 8253 for that box as well.

Love the Trans Raise in your bug, i bet that helps! What are your engine specs? How did you do for times?

rbolner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Thanks jpaull for the reply. Thought you were busy moving. I do have the i91 coil to go with the Intellitronics box, just wanted to see if I could make that box shut down and reset itself. That is THE first time I ever spent money on an MSD product and I've been doing this for awhile. Yes, that's the normal launch for me. I run a 4.37 R&P, most people won't. Below is a pic few weeks ago where I got out of the groove a little. Almost same gearing as yours but with a 1.44 3rd and 1.13 4th. It has a Ron Lummus trans mount that I cut and drilled for a 2 inch raise cause the Lummus mount is a lot taller than most. The engine is a 2276 with first gen. Comp eliminators, ports never ported, k800 springs, 9 to 1 with a fk46. Usually runs 11.90's at 110mph but I ran four 12.1's, and a 12.2 because I tried 28 on the timing. Thought it was me messing with the ignition, but I had a compression leak that I couldn't hear so I got new barrels to put in and maybe I'll fly cut the heads a little. Should be back to normal at the next drags. Some of us are coming up to see Hot Vw's Drag day at Irwindale this weekend so I'll be looking for some spare cylinder heads to bring back if I find something I like, if not i'm looking at the mini wedge port from CB. Should be a blast with those Real Street cars there. Hope the swap meet is a good one like the Sacramento one use to be in May. Thanks, Race
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Rbolner, thats a awesome picture!! 11.90's with only 9;1 compresssion is a pretty awesome accomplishment with a all motor setup Thumbs Up VW Logo . Bumping the compression would be a nice move to help even more.

I also love that your testing the limits on the ignition, it helps tell more about the capabilities and limitations.

On the heads, going from Comp E's to just the mini wedgeports would be pretty conservative swap. That FK46 would be screaming for some Wedgeports. Popcorn

rbolner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Yes, still debating. Wanted something with more airspeed than big flow numbers, like the old Fumio's. My motor doesn't make power at a high rpm, but that's probably a different forum. Kinda getting off the Budget build subject. Maybe I'll do some pm's to some of you guys instead to update my results with what I have going on. I might put the fk10 in. Pat Downs had some great results with that cam and different heads. When I talked to Dan Ruddick last year, he does comparisons on cam lobes up to .030 lift off the lobe. The FK series are pretty quick. That's probably where I'm losing a few MPH due to some valve float. Should be 112, 113mph.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

rbolner wrote:
Thanks jpaull for the reply. Thought you were busy moving. I do have the i91 coil to go with the Intellitronics box, just wanted to see if I could make that box shut down and reset itself. That is THE first time I ever spent money on an MSD product and I've been doing this for awhile. Yes, that's the normal launch for me. I run a 4.37 R&P, most people won't. Below is a pic few weeks ago where I got out of the groove a little. Almost same gearing as yours but with a 1.44 3rd and 1.13 4th. It has a Ron Lummus trans mount that I cut and drilled for a 2 inch raise cause the Lummus mount is a lot taller than most. The engine is a 2276 with first gen. Comp eliminators, ports never ported, k800 springs, 9 to 1 with a fk46. Usually runs 11.90's at 110mph but I ran four 12.1's, and a 12.2 because I tried 28 on the timing. Thought it was me messing with the ignition, but I had a compression leak that I couldn't hear so I got new barrels to put in and maybe I'll fly cut the heads a little. Should be back to normal at the next drags. Some of us are coming up to see Hot Vw's Drag day at Irwindale this weekend so I'll be looking for some spare cylinder heads to bring back if I find something I like, if not i'm looking at the mini wedge port from CB. Should be a blast with those Real Street cars there. Hope the swap meet is a good one like the Sacramento one use to be in May. Thanks, Race

My car also has a 4.37 R&P in it, what is your secret for not breaking it?

My car has a 3.10 first, 1.93 second and a stock 1.32 third and .89 fourth. Have not tracked it yet. I will focus on 1/8 mile as my 4th gear is too tall for the 1/4 mile. I will only run street tires for fear of a R&P failure. You are obviously running slicks.

Dan
rbolner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Howzit Dan, forgive me for miss spelling your name. Yeah, they usually last about a year. I run a Stage 2 Kennedy and a rag disc Exedy 503 or 503A depending on running torque. If I can get it to move hanging on a breaker bar I'll run it. 503 slips a little more than the 503A so I might shim the pressure plate for a few runs on the 503A. After that I just keep an ear on it till it gets to noisy. Kinda backyardish but it works for me. Not sure if you remember our phone conversation about your valve train products and the FK46 I'm running. You said I should get a rev limiter. Maybe I should get a Tach to go with it. Smile
rbolner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Morning guys, well I got a chance to run the I got a chance to run the FAST coil (FAST I91 Inductive Ignition Coil) with the INTELLITRONICS box yesterday and turns out to be a REALLY GOOD match up. You can't go wrong with this set up. Touch of the key starting, quick response, higher revving and so much smoother especially at higher rpms. I know cause I was hitting the built-in rev limiter (set at 7400) in the burn out, off the line and between gears. I think that's why I couldn't do better than 11.90's (got my new cylinders in, back to 160psi) So not bad for $209 for the box and $90 for the coil, $75 for the distributor, around $20 for wires and $12 bucks for plugs. I think if you can run that same FAST coil with the CB Magnaspark ready to run kit that would be great for $300 bucks. I have one so I might do some testing. I did win yesterday so I paid for some of that stuff Thumbs Up
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

rbolner wrote:
Morning guys, well I got a chance to run the I got a chance to run the FAST coil (FAST I91 Inductive Ignition Coil) with the INTELLITRONICS box yesterday and turns out to be a REALLY GOOD match up. You can't go wrong with this set up. Touch of the key starting, quick response, higher revving and so much smoother especially at higher rpms. I know cause I was hitting the built-in rev limiter (set at 7400) in the burn out, off the line and between gears. I think that's why I couldn't do better than 11.90's (got my new cylinders in, back to 160psi) So not bad for $209 for the box and $90 for the coil, $75 for the distributor, around $20 for wires and $12 bucks for plugs. I think if you can run that same FAST coil with the CB Magnaspark ready to run kit that would be great for $300 bucks. I have one so I might do some testing. I did win yesterday so I paid for some of that stuff Thumbs Up

Dang thats awesome! I think getting into the 11's without any power adders in a street car is a remarkable achievement. This is great! the only thing better would be getting it on video so the rest of the class can enjoy the fun!

Glad you got a good match up with that Intellitronix and i91, and on a budget!

Sidenote, regarding the Magnaspark/i91, The i91's primary resistance is too low, it will kill a magnaspark module.

Thank you for all the updates! That looks like a really fun car!

rbolner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Thanks jpaull. I'm cheating a little with slicks, a stinger and some half and half gas mix. I could run straight pump gas cause the heads are only around 230 degrees after a run using an infrared temp gauge. It is alot more fun with wheels up action. My wife took some video, not sure where I could put it. I did talk to CB about running a different coil with the Magnaspark and they said the same thing. His words were "to hot" of a coil. Didn't say how low you could go but, you could just put a cd box on it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44
Jump to:
Page 44 of 44

Jump to: