Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crankshaft Timing Gear Retaining Clip
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:36 pm    Post subject: Crankshaft Timing Gear Retaining Clip Reply with quote

How many of ya’ll use a different style clip than the factory vw one? Ive seen Bugguy has some on the classifieds.
Old German guy gave me one of the tapered cones to instal the C clips which makes installation a breeze but removing the factory ones can be a p.i.t.a. some days
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Timing Gear Retaining Clip Reply with quote

I use the factory part... never a problem.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Timing Gear Retaining Clip Reply with quote

knipex 4510170, these work well for R&R there are other brands with similar pliers. I have the Proto one.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Don Jones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Timing Gear Retaining Clip Reply with quote

Buy bugguy1967 (Tabari)'s retaining clip and never worry about the old stretched out clip you have waiting to fail.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Timing Gear Retaining Clip Reply with quote

Don Jones wrote:
Buy bugguy1967 (Tabari)'s retaining clip and never worry about the old stretched out clip you have waiting to fail.

X2. I have one in my 1679 I just finished. Installed like a treat!

For the old VW issue snap rings I use the Proto tool to remove and install the ring.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Timing Gear Retaining Clip Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Don Jones wrote:

X2. I have one in my 1679 I just finished. Installed like a treat!

For the old VW issue snap rings I use the Proto tool to remove and install the ring.

Here's the ad it anyone is interested.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2385452

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
woodsbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Timing Gear Retaining Clip Reply with quote

The snaprings do work very nice on factory German cranks with stock cam gears but I have had a few aftermarket stroker cranks with CB straight cut gears and the snaprings would not fit them, they are slightly thicker than the factory clips.
Kenric
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Timing Gear Retaining Clip Reply with quote

Yes you have to flat sand it a bit if using CB straight cuts
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Timing Gear Retaining Clip Reply with quote

Btw, I have the legit snap-on expanders, if anyone is interested in using the best tool for factory rings.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Timing Gear Retaining Clip Reply with quote

Don Jones wrote:
thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: