Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Krylon close matches to factory colors
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

doublecanister wrote:
Hey Folks, I did some searching around and I'm not finding much on trying to match the 1973 Thing Blizzard White in a Krylon or Dupli color match.

T

Well I did find a very close match in "Chiffon Cream" Behr paint but it's a chalk or matte finish. it's "so close" but is a tad lighter.
I found the VW paint code chip's on the Samba, had that open on one screen and tried to match various shades that way, it got really close surprisingly.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-PREMIUM-12-oz-SP-...ds#overlay

I may try it with some red primer or maybe black primer as a base to see if it darkens it up a bit, shot some on a piece of test metal for affect using No primer. Of course in the engine bay
compared with the rest it does show lighter/brighter than the rest being it's fresh.

I really was just not ready to do an entire engine bay strip sand and repaint but with the engine dropped, all the bad spots are showing now especially
after cleaning up and removing the old engine to body gaskets and degreasing everything, figured it was time to replace that dern rubber seal.

Anyways, I'll try this in an inconspicuous area and see how it goes,
Plan b, it's off to the paint shop to probably pay big money for a quart of the correct color that wont match anything I have! Very Happy Evil or Very Mad

Well just thought I'd share what I found in case anyone else decides too look or give it a try.

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
Funny story about L456 ruby red, i got a can of ZeroRust red to do some repair jobs on my square , when i was running low i ordered another can. They shipped me safety red. I didn't car it was going under the car anyways, But i was spraying one day and used up the last of the red and mixed the safety red in 50/50.

Body panels are stock L456, as is inside of the trunk lid, but top of the fender, inside the trunk are 50/50 zero rust reds. It made a very good match for touch ups on the original color too.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In the sun

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That's a great look. Something I would drive, for sure.

Here is my situation.

I have a '63 Beetle in Ruby Red. The paint is not in the best condition but I have been able to bring out a shine on it.

I was thinking to get some close-match red for touch-ups.

You had mentioned Zero Rust Red and Safety Red. When mixed together 50/50 you said they were very close. I assume that these were not spray cans if they were mixed. I will be using spray cans only. is this stuff available in spray cans?

How was the match with either red before the mix?

For everyone else, regarding the wheels:

I want to paint the wheels. I have have achieved very good results with spray cans on other cars' steel wheels, so I will be using spray cans.

Although the body is red, I want the wheels to have black outers and white inners. I have seen pictures of wheels on Beetles in this pattern with L41 black and L87 pearl white.

As I am not matching body colors, I only want reasonably close matches for both of these colors.

It has been mentioned here that Rustoleum Canvas White is the closest thing anyone has found to L87 pearl white.

I have seen no mention here of a close match for L41 black.

It may seem that black is black is black, but I have seen black VWs from my car's era and that's the black I want.

I have searched the spray paint bays at my Home Depot, and have found limited selection of anything that might be close to these colors. This is been difficult to match because I have nothing to compare them to.

So, to recap,

1. Which red for Ruby Red, including or besides what reds are mentioned above?

2. Anything new and closer than Rustoleum Canvas White for L87 pearl white?

and 3) anything at all for L41 black?

Thanks muchly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Jump to:
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: