Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who sells muffler-side exhaust flanges to fit 1-5/8" headers?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mitey62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:23 am    Post subject: Who sells muffler-side exhaust flanges to fit 1-5/8" headers? Reply with quote

I currently have a 1-3/8" merged header on my bug, with a single glasspack style muffler. Everything from the header back I welded up myself. It fits well and while it's a hair louder than I'd like it sounds pretty good.

I've got a 1-5/8" ceramic coated header hanging around that I'd like to install, however the muffler side mounting pattern is obviously larger. Sooner or later I'd like to pick up a nice ceramic coated muffler system to match, however I'm having a fairly hard time finding more than a few options, so for the time being I'd like to simply cut off the old 1-3/8" flange and weld on one to fit the new 1-5/8" header.

Does anyone sell exhaust bits and pieces that might have just the flange and short section of properly sized flared pipe that I could pick up? I could make the flange part fairly easily, but it would be great if I could just order the thing, cut to length and weld it on. I believe when I welded the current muffler, the header came with a stinger which I cut the mounting bit off of and used that.

Thanks in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Who sells muffler-side exhaust flanges to fit 1-5/8" headers? Reply with quote

Why not convert it to V-Band? Simple, easy clean. Summit Racing sells them.
You can text Tiger at A1 and ask him if you can sell you parts. His number is 714/836-7201

Ghia Build Thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768748
Mitey62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Who sells muffler-side exhaust flanges to fit 1-5/8" headers? Reply with quote

Never heard of v-band before. Looking it up however appears that I'd need to weld another flange onto my header to match, and since it's ceramic coated I'd like to avoid that. That would also mean that when I end up with a different muffler system (which will probably also end up being ceramic coated) I'd have to modify that one too.

Just looked up A1, they look like they have some nice stuff! I'll try to get a hold of him and see what he says.

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Who sells muffler-side exhaust flanges to fit 1-5/8" headers? Reply with quote

Gene Berg sells a variety of exhaust flanges.
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Who sells muffler-side exhaust flanges to fit 1-5/8" headers? Reply with quote

Columba River has universal flanges in stainless but they make mild steel ones...
http://www.mandrelbends.com/flanges-gaskets/exhaus...nless.html

The have 3 bolt flanges which would be better to join ex pipes with less leakage.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Mitey62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Who sells muffler-side exhaust flanges to fit 1-5/8" headers? Reply with quote

It looks like the Gene Berg site has a ton of goodies! It's a shame there aren't any pictures. I'll call them Monday and see if they can help, thanks b-man!

earthquake, I'll be stashing away that website for future use, thank you. And yes, I'm looking specifically for the 3 bolt flange you find at the header/muffler joint, not the 2 bolt flanges like you linked to, which would be from the head/header joint. It looks like they've probably got something that would work with some measuring, but nothing that comes with a short section of flared pipe to retain the flange... I don't want to weld the flange directly to the muffler tubing if I don't have to.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Who sells muffler-side exhaust flanges to fit 1-5/8" headers? Reply with quote

Flanges do not come with pipes welded on already, but a muffler shop could make that for you very easy.
Mitey62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Who sells muffler-side exhaust flanges to fit 1-5/8" headers? Reply with quote

The flared pipes aren't welded to the flange on the muffler side, so that it can be rotated to fit. I'm looking for the muffler side 3 bolt flange, with a short section of flared tubing that fits inside the flange - imagine a stinger... the flange is captured by the flare, but free to move and rotate.

Hope that helps clarity.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Who sells muffler-side exhaust flanges to fit 1-5/8" headers? Reply with quote

neat idea, but i don't really see any advantage.
It will still need to be welded on in-place if you want it to line up perfect.
Mitey62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Who sells muffler-side exhaust flanges to fit 1-5/8" headers? Reply with quote

We must have a communication issue somewhere... that's how most muffler/exhaust systems work. One flange is welded solid (header side), and the other is allowed to rotate and move freely, and clamps/aligns the muffler side exhaust tight once it's bolted together. Its a very common practice and has been for decades.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Who sells muffler-side exhaust flanges to fit 1-5/8" headers? Reply with quote

it's common practice in other situations but you are here in this situation, and apparently you"never heard" of a v-band.
You need to visit a muffler shop and tell them they are doing it all wrong.
Mitey62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Who sells muffler-side exhaust flanges to fit 1-5/8" headers? Reply with quote

How many muffler shops do you think have made custom ACVW exhausts? I'd bet the number is very small. In case you haven't noticed, our cars are a bit "different" than 95% of other cars in the world.

I'll go tell the muffler shops they're doing it wrong, you go talk to the well known suppliers of vintage VW parts and tell them the same. Fair?

Either way, thanks for the advice. I trust you can see yourself out?

Thanks again to the others with helpful replies and sources. Come Monday, I'll make some phone calls.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Who sells muffler-side exhaust flanges to fit 1-5/8" headers? Reply with quote

We can agree to disagree on the usefulness of the thing, but I do hope you find it anyway. Sorry jumped in without fully understanding the question.
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Who sells muffler-side exhaust flanges to fit 1-5/8" headers? Reply with quote

Ask them to get you the 3-bolt flange that they use on the GB 933HBH like the ones pictured, they’ll be able to get the exact one you need.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

edjose17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Who sells muffler-side exhaust flanges to fit 1-5/8" headers? Reply with quote

b-man
Is that the muffler from CB perfromance (3676)? if not which one is it?

b-man wrote:
Ask them to get you the 3-bolt flange that they use on the GB 933HBH like the ones pictured, they’ll be able to get the exact one you need.

Rob Combs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Who sells muffler-side exhaust flanges to fit 1-5/8" headers? Reply with quote

you could also check SoCal Imports - They might (???) have a business relationship with Tri-Mil if I remember correctly.

I've bought 1 3/8 flanges off the shelf from them when I was creating a spacer for my muffler. They might have 1 5/8 in stock too.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Who sells muffler-side exhaust flanges to fit 1-5/8" headers? Reply with quote

Get in touch with Tiger at A-1
https://www.yelp.com/biz/a-1-muffler-santa-ana-4
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Who sells muffler-side exhaust flanges to fit 1-5/8" headers? Reply with quote

I recently redid my exhaust and every 3 bolt flange and piece of pipe I used came from amazon. They have every exhaust part you might need. Stainless too.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Who sells muffler-side exhaust flanges to fit 1-5/8" headers? Reply with quote

Not 100% sure what you are after, but I have these for building your own muffler setup.

https://type-emotorsports.com/collections/engine-parts/products/3-bolt-muffler-flanges

Brian
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: