Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official lazy person's stupid question thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 191, 192, 193
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
Where’d you get that steel t-connector for the fuel lines, Andy?

Mine’s plastic and freakin’ me out, Man. Laughing

Well, I purchased this Van in January, 2016 from the 2nd owner in Knoxville, TN. It had been sitting for a long time.

Anyway, what you see is what was on it when I got it. Someone had replaced all the fuel hoses.

The ECU was missing. I bought one and installed it... new plugs and plug wires. It starts and runs great. It had 142k miles on and now has 162k.

Really, all it needs is the AC system update which I'd like to do this spring among all my other projects.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Cool, Thanks!

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

All the wbx Vanagons came with the steel fuel tee plus test port.
The tiny screw/plug for the test port can be an issue for ham-handed types.
That may explain why a plastic tee got installed, maybe after someone broke or lost the tiny screw/plug.

Mark

AndyBees wrote:
E1 wrote:

Anyway, what you see is what was on it when I got it. Someone had replaced all the fuel hoses.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

That’s great info Mark, Thanks… makes perfect sense.

Time Bomb I never want to see expire, I often ask suppliers about this part but have never found one.

crazyvwvanman wrote:
All the wbx Vanagons came with the steel fuel tee plus test port.
The tiny screw/plug for the test port can be an issue for ham-handed types.
That may explain why a plastic tee got installed, maybe after someone broke or lost the tiny screw/plug.

Mark

AndyBees wrote:
E1 wrote:

— Colin Chapman
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Yeah, I am pretty sure the 1.9 WBXer engine that was in my 84 has the metal tee and test port.

I do know for sure that the 2.0 Air-cool engine in my 83 has the metal tee and test port. It was never a problem during the 225k miles I drove it (85 thur 2005). When I purchased it the spring of 1985, I also bought a Bentley and a VDO pressure gauge with 1 psi increments to 100 PSI to do diagnostics. I took that gauge with me on all the trips to Alaska from 1986 thru 2003 in that ol' 83..... and never did need it.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
Abscate wrote:
That’s not a fuel line and it’s burning from a wiring fault inside, not from external heat. Time to get that puppy open and inspected.

Perhaps if you owned a WBX you wouldn't be providing an incorrect response. That is indeed a fuel line, which is wearing the factory-original protective sheathing.

I am wondering if the factory sheathing couldn't hold up to gasoline and as the original hose broke down with time gas collected in a low spot in the sheathing and gradually damaged it?
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
E1 wrote:

The 2.1 engine had the steel bleeder/pressure test port.
If yours is truly plastic let me know, I think I've got an extra you can have.

Dave

Hey, Thanks!

I need to crack the engine bay and double-check that I’m not confused and the plastic one was in our old van!

This sometimes happens. Okay, am confused *a lot*. Laughing

— Colin Chapman
69tr6r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Brake question on my 84 stock van. When I press the brake pedal the emergency brake dash light comes on, even though my fluid is full. Brakes seem to work fine.

I replaced the master cylinder a while back, and this problem did not happen at that time.

I also smell brake pads after driving, seems like it's coming from the pass rear. I jacked up the van and both rear wheels spin free.

Thanks for the help!
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

69tr6r wrote:
Brake question on my 84 stock van. When I press the brake pedal the emergency brake dash light comes on, even though my fluid is full. Brakes seem to work fine.

I replaced the master cylinder a while back, and this problem did not happen at that time.

I also smell brake pads after driving, seems like it's coming from the pass rear. I jacked up the van and both rear wheels spin free.

Thanks for the help!

Maybe check a Bentley Manual in reference to the connectors on the two switches on the Master Cylinder.

Also, is it possible something come unplugged and you plugged it in the wrong place?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

69tr6r wrote:

Thanks for the help!

The brake switches have a long history of failing. Buy the best you can find.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

One of your brake light switches has failed. The '84's had SPDT switches, just so that the dash brake warning would come on if one had failed. Why they got rid of this later I don't know - perhaps the later SPST switches were cheaper.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Does anyone have part numbers for the two bottom radiator hoses for a 1984 Vanagon with the 1.9 engine?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
Does anyone have part numbers for the two bottom radiator hoses for a 1984 Vanagon with the 1.9 engine?

https://vancafe.com/1-9l-complete-coolant-hose-kit/

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
AndyBees wrote:

https://vancafe.com/1-9l-complete-coolant-hose-kit/

Thanks....... much appreciated.
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

69tr6r wrote:

Thanks for the help!

Prob brake switch like others have mentioned. Two easy things to check before ripping out the switches on the brake master cylinder. 1. Check the float on the brake fluid reservoir. My sensor was broken and that was causing that light to flicker. Check the wires going to it and then take the cap off and look at the float on the underside of the cap. Make sure it is all functioning. 2. (Probably less likely but also caused my brake light to come on) check the button under the e brake handle. Brake pushes this button down and turns the light off. The spring broke on this button for me which also made that light go on. Replacing that button is very easy fix.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

1990 Westfalia
Are the bolts holding the H-bar to the pop-top the same bolts than for the latch housing?
BirdBus85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

1985 1.9L manual trans Westy, getting ready to do a cooling system overhaul. I have and will be reading as much of the threads as I can but I need to order stuff soon as I have a trip planned in a few weeks. Is there a specific brand of hose, radiator & water pump I should be buying?
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Nah, just go to van cafe or gowesty and prepare to hurt your wallet.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 191, 192, 193
Jump to:
Page 193 of 193

Jump to: