Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2003 weekender poptop leak - sources?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sregan99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:27 am    Post subject: 2003 weekender poptop leak - sources? Reply with quote

Last week I noticed water dripping from the bracket that holds the passenger-side sun visor (the bracket that catches the left side, near the center) I unscrewed it and got a little stream, maybe a quarter-ounce. What are possible sources?

The rubber fairing above the windshield tore off a decade ago and I never replaced it, but it hasn't leaked in all these years.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

When I pop the top there is staining around the latch mechanism but no other water or stains elsewhere around the bed or the poptop in general.

There are fine cracks on the exterior of the (fibergalss? plastic?) top itself, including a few around the bolts that hold the latch to the top.

Followup question: can the top itself be painted? It's suffered a lot of sun damage in its 21 years.
HeyCrutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 weekender poptop leak - sources? Reply with quote

The top can definitely be painted. I just bought a 2003 Weekender and the seller took the appreciated step of having the faded fiberglass top painted. By all accounts the shop did an excellent job. The paint is a perfect match (Emerald Green Pearl).
sregan99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 weekender poptop leak - sources? Reply with quote

HeyCrutch wrote:
The top can definitely be painted. I just bought a 2003 Weekender and the seller took the appreciated step of having the faded fiberglass top painted. By all accounts the shop did an excellent job. The paint is a perfect match (Emerald Green Pearl).

That's encouraging, thanks. I hope you enjoy your rig!
samba415
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 weekender poptop leak - sources? Reply with quote

We have a fairing that has lost some of it's adhesion to roof in places as well as a well baked Californian Westy top with wee cracks and hinge/attachment bolts looking like yours. We get the same leaking. My best guess at the moment is the front fairing. Nothing leaks at the said cracks and bolts

Current: '04 Golf TDI, '03 Weekender
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: