Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Desert Fox Spoiler meets Pikes Peak racer...mostly photos
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Desert Fox Spoiler meets Pikes Peak racer...mostly photos Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Along with your fantastic buggy build.

You created one of the most imaginative, cutest things anyone can make as a personal gift for a mom and her 1yo child.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I really like what you have done here. Applause

Thanks...I think the parents liked it too. My brother mentioned he liked the way the baby's head (bolt head) is not fully developed into a hex. I hammered it into a rounder shape. Not grade 8 yet. There is only so many toys and clothes a one year old can use at one time. And, a pretty brief time at that.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Desert Fox Spoiler meets Pikes Peak racer...mostly photos Reply with quote

Today so far, Install overhauled speedo, steering rag joint and LED high beam indicator light.

ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Desert Fox Spoiler meets Pikes Peak racer...mostly photos Reply with quote

You definitely have an imagination! Good job, simple but it tells a story!
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Desert Fox Spoiler meets Pikes Peak racer...mostly photos Reply with quote

I spent the last few days tying up loose ends here and there, secured wiring bundles with Adel clamps, used probably 150 wire ties. I secured the front hood with a variety of fasteners and used large fender washers where I could, Also, put fender beading between the hood and fenders.

I messed up and left the hood sitting outside my shop, and the birds shit all over the hood. I think they were eating some kind of berries that caused some gastric disturbances. I'm not real sure they didn't screw the clear coat up. I'm still going to cut and buff the finish, so maybe I can fix it. If I can find out who the offending birds were, I'll Lee Harvey Oswald their ass.

I did a tape measure alignment, 1/4 toe in, 0 camber and 8 degrees positive caster.

I'm still waiting on the title so I can get it registered and put some insurance on it. For all practical purposes, I'm done. Ready to drive this sum bitch.

ASE Master Certification
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Desert Fox Spoiler meets Pikes Peak racer...mostly photos Reply with quote

I wasn't happy with the wheel alignment. Instead, of measuring toe with the tires and wheels on, I took 4 feet of 11/2 by 11/2 by 1/8th angle iron cut in half and drilled 2 holes in each one. This is to allow them to be mounted on the brake disc, Wound up with 1/16 inch toe in. Jack stands under the lower trailing arms to simulate ride height.

Wiring pics. Everything works beautifully. My brother's GF has a sign shop in Austin. She made me these trick switch and warning light identifiers.

ASE Master Certification
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Desert Fox Spoiler meets Pikes Peak racer...mostly photos Reply with quote

My wife and I took this car for a extended break-in cruise. Lots of thumbs up and gawking. Couldn't help showing off some. I had a few cops give me the hairy eyeball, but so far so good. Ran 10 gallons of gas through it. I runs very well, no issues. The trans needs 1st and 2nd gear syncros. Maybe do that next winter. It's been 30 years since I repaired a IRS gearbox, but it's like riding a bike. It's something you don't forget. I have the tools and a press.

The wind blast to the face had to be addressed. I had the original clip-on wind screen, so I installed that. It fits like it was made for it. It needs polishing, so I'll do that.

The motor is very loud, and probably to much for my neighbors, so I found this little muffler. It's a beautiful stainless steel piece with nice tig welds. Also got a stainless steel 2 inch double clamp to install it. Quiets it just enough to be acceptable.

During the test drive, I noticed a chattering in the right front brake. All of the brake parts are new. Under light or heavy braking everything was fine, but under medium brake pressure to the pedal, there was this crazy noise and vibration felt through the steering wheel. I'm not so full of myself to think I'm beyond any fault for anything I've done. I replaced the inner wheel bearings with the wrong bearings. Apparently, I have '66 to '68 and one half spindles. The inner race of these bearings is about 2mm bigger to fit '68 and a half and up spindles. I had mistakenly assumed I had late spindles based on what the rear suspension and trans is, which is later model stuff.

We also found time to drive our bus into the Texas Hill Country, to look at wildflowers, especially the Bluebonnets.

ASE Master Certification
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Desert Fox Spoiler meets Pikes Peak racer...mostly photos Reply with quote

Quote:
We also found time to drive our bus into the Texas Hill Country, to look at wildflowers, especially the Bluebonnets.

Oh man. There's nothing like a Texas Hill Country Spring.
I worked there in the spring of 1993 and loved the weekend hill country drives.

The Desert Fox looks great too! :wink

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Desert Fox Spoiler meets Pikes Peak racer...mostly photos Reply with quote

Finally out of the garage...

ASE Master Certification
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: