Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ReInstalling gas tank in a 78
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BugCaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:45 pm    Post subject: ReInstalling gas tank in a 78 Reply with quote

I got the gas tank back from the radiator shop and received the O ring for the sender unit so looks like I am ready to replace it. I thought I should double check with you all as to the fuel line locations. Yeah, I should have taken more photos. I is a fuel injected 78.
I think the front hose on the bottom of the tank went to the fuel filter and exited through the hole more on the passenger side and the return went from the raar nipple and went through the hole more to the center of the car. Or am I backwards? Thanks
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: ReInstalling gas tank in a 78 Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658682&highlight=injection+tank

Have an assistant pull on the hoses from below as you lower the tank into place, if you don't they can kink and cause all sorts of issues.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
BugCaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: ReInstalling gas tank in a 78 Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. I can confirm that is correct. I first thought the tank was labeled backwards because I could see the end of the tube nearest the edge and that the other more distant tube was longer inside the tank. I used an fiber optic inspection tool to see where everything was. What I then noticed is that the spot where the two nipples are is higher than the sump area. So the supply nipple is the one that has extended tubing inside. It traverses over to the lower sump area. the return is the one with no piping inside the tank.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: