Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Body side vents
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FunracerCO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:07 am    Post subject: Body side vents Reply with quote

On the 1971 SB, there is a vent just behind the rear window. Does that vent bring fresh air in, or does it suck out the interior air? It looks to be in a low-pressure area, so I would think it is to help with interior air circulation by removing air from the inside.

If that is the case, why put a scoop there facing forward?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Body side vents Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FunracerCO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Body side vents Reply with quote

Thanks, Andy. It confirmed what I thought.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Body side vents Reply with quote

Scoops?, I've seen some that require cutting out a big part of the metal underneath and some internal work to direct more air into the engine compartment. But some of the "stick on, no drilling required" scoops do nothing aside from reversing the flow VW's engineers intended to come out of those vents.

But it looks like you are a race car driver and you'll definitely be much more popular with the sex type you are trying to impress! Very Happy

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Body side vents Reply with quote

When Motor Trend reviewed this new VW model, it commented on the half moon vent shape, noting that it figured prominently in frontier ventilation folklore...
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Body side vents Reply with quote

It's most notable for providing rust. There's foam behind them.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Body side vents Reply with quote

From what I understand, VW put it there to make selling it harder 50 years later because of all the rust Laughing
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Body side vents Reply with quote

rusty_74_bug wrote:
From what I understand, VW put it there to make selling it harder 50 years later because of all the rust Laughing

All joking aside, why couldn't VW see that water getting in there would be a problem? I'm guessing they did but never intended for the Bugs to still be on the road 30-50 years later??
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Body side vents Reply with quote

rusty_74_bug wrote:
rusty_74_bug wrote:

All joking aside, why couldn't VW see that water getting in there would be a problem? I'm guessing they did but never intended for the Bugs to still be on the road 30-50 years later??

Good guess.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Body side vents Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
rusty_74_bug wrote:
rusty_74_bug wrote:

Good guess.

Glenn knows what I'm dealing with right now Laughing
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Body side vents Reply with quote

rusty_74_bug wrote:
Glenn wrote:
rusty_74_bug wrote:
rusty_74_bug wrote:

Good guess.

Glenn knows what I'm dealing with right now Laughing

Been there.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
rodknu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Body side vents Reply with quote

Hmmmm..... so, I fixed the rust by welding in new panels behind the side vents and was planning on spraying new foam in them to block them off..... bad plan??????
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Body side vents Reply with quote

The rust wasn't caused by the vents, but rather the foam insulation VW used starting in '72, causing the body to rust from the inside out.

To answer Fun Racer's question, it's a flow-through ventilation system that allows air to exit out the rear of the car, eliminating the annoying drumming when the windows are open. Basically it does what the popout windows do. They are exit vents, despite them resembling intakes. You'll see four vent openings on each side of the interior where the air exits.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tha Driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Body side vents Reply with quote

rodknu wrote:
Hmmmm..... so, I fixed the rust by welding in new panels behind the side vents and was planning on spraying new foam in them to block them off..... bad plan??????

Just make sure you use CLOSED CELL FOAM. A lot of foam is open cell & will hold moisture.
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: Body side vents Reply with quote

rusty_74_bug wrote:
rusty_74_bug wrote:

These cars were really only originally intended to last about 10 years / 100,000 miles or so, similar to most other cars of that era. And no car can be expected to sit out in the rain/wet for 30, 40, 50+ years (like a lot of these cars were) without rusting — gotta be realistic. The side vents and sound insulation foam were a perfectly acceptable design configuration, given the car’s originally envisioned usage and lifespan.

Yeah, it can be a serious headache now if trying to sell or restore, but that’s a common consideration with all older cars…

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
rusty_74_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Body side vents Reply with quote

baldessariclan wrote:
rusty_74_bug wrote:
rusty_74_bug wrote:

These cars were really only originally intended to last about 10 years / 100,000 miles or so, similar to most other cars of that era. And no car can be expected to sit out in the rain/wet for 30, 40, 50+ years (like a lot of these cars were) without rusting — gotta be realistic. The side vents and sound insulation foam were a perfectly acceptable design configuration, given the car’s originally envisioned usage and lifespan.

Yeah, it can be a serious headache now if trying to sell or restore, but that’s a common consideration with all older cars…

Yeah I understand.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Body side vents Reply with quote

This is CLOSED CELL

SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
rodknu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Body side vents Reply with quote

Thanks guys regarding using foam. I thought one purpose of the foam was to also prevent odors from the engine from entering the interior of the car. Am I wrong about that???
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Body side vents Reply with quote

rodknu wrote:
Thanks guys regarding using foam. I thought one purpose of the foam was to also prevent odors from the engine from entering the interior of the car. Am I wrong about that???

That might be part of it, but pretty sure the main purpose of the foam is to block noise coming from the engine compartment.

On earlier models, VW originally stuffed a crude sort of triangular "pillow" into those spaces. But suspect the later injected foam was both cheaper and superior at sound insulation.

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: