Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 Super Beetle Horn and Turn Signal Cancel
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snoopy1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Super Beetle Horn and Turn Signal Cancel Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
Have you tried flooding the white plastic areas with some silicone spray lubricant. I had something similar with my replacement turn signal switch. After lubing the moving parts and loosening the four hold down screws a bit the switch moved smoothly and would cancel.

ST Dog wrote:
Agree with ashman, try lubricating the plastic.

Another thought is loosen the hold down screws on the a bit. Maybe remove it an test to see if it's better when bot bound in the housing.

But I figure it's just tight because it's new. It'll loosen up with use.

Hmmm maybe this is the issue I am having also. I installed a brand new Wolfsburg West Turn Signal Switch in my '68 about a month or so ago. Worked like a champ for about the first 4 times I drove the car, cancelling every time. But then it started not cancelling when turning Left.

I havent taken the steering wheel off to mess with it, but Im going to try loosening the screw a tad and try the silicon spray idea also.
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Super Beetle Horn and Turn Signal Cancel Reply with quote

I called WW to see what they suggested I use to lubricate the switch. The guy I spoke with said you could use wheel bearing grease, but that he'd use white lithium grease. So I did, too. I used a Q-tip and a toothpick to try to get it on all the surfaces. That worked better, but the switch still didn't snap all the way back every time. Then I cleaned that up as best I could and tried some Blaster brand silicon lubricant (also said to be safe on plastics) and that seems to work a little better.

I also experimented with screw tightness AND placement of the cancel ring. It seems like I obtained the best cancelling results when the cancel ring tab was at 9 o'clock when the tires were pointed straight ahead. The photo below shows what I mean by 9 o'clock - the tab would be on the left side:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

However, when the wheel is put on so that the tab "rests" at 9 o'clock, the horn ring goes on upside down. In the photo below, the tires are pointed straight ahead. Take a look at how the horn ring holes line up with the steering wheel holes; the only way to put the horn wire through the appropriate hole in the horn ring is to have the ring rest in the top half of the wheel.

That just feels wrong and backwards - and not the way it's worked in the past.

What am I doing wrong?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Super Beetle Horn and Turn Signal Cancel Reply with quote

Longmont1302 wrote:
It seems like I obtained the best cancelling results when the cancel ring tab was at 9 o'clock when the tires were pointed straight ahead. The photo below shows what I mean by 9 o'clock - the tab would be on the left side:

<...>
That just feels wrong and backwards - and not the way it's worked in the past.

What am I doing wrong?

You have the steering wheel installed 180deg off.

Remove the steering wheel and insert a flat bladed screwdriver into the opening where the turn signal cancel tab should normally rest at 3-o'clock. It is right where the small tab comes popping out when you move the turn signal lever into the L or R position. Now imagine you are making a left turn... you move the turn signal switch to the left turn position before you actually turn the wheel. You should see a small tab try pop out into the opening that the cancel tab moves around in, but your screwdriver blocks it from fully extending. Normally, it will make contact with the cancel tab which is supposed to rests at 3-o'clock when the wheels are straight ahead.

Now imagine you turn the wheel CCW to the left as you turn. Move the screwdriver blade up. The tab is now allowed to extend fully as the cancel tab rotates out of the way.

Now imagine you start to rotate the wheel back to center. The cancel tab rotates CW and presses down on the small tab from the top as it returns to the 3-o'clock position. Use the screwdriver to press down on the tab (down, not in/forward). This is how the tab cancels the turn signal switch. The switch arm should flip back up into the centered position.

You can imagine that for a right turn the cancel tab would rotate CW and down when you turn the wheel right and when you return the wheel to center the cancel tab lifts up on the small tab to cancel the turn signal level.

So you see how the cancel tab cancels the turn signal switch as it returns the steering wheel (and the wheels) to the centered position and in this center position the cancel tab needs to be at 3-o'clock so it trips the self-cancel just before the wheel returns to center. Even a small turn (60deg of rotation) will move the cancel tab enough so the return swing will cancel the turn signal lever. If you set the cancel tab at 9-o'clock small turns would not cancel the turn signal lever and on large turns (180deg rotation or more) the turn signal switch would cancel before the wheel returned to center and while you were still in the turn.

WARNING: You may have seen this mentioned in the manuals... Only install the steering wheel when the turn signal switch is centered and the tab is not extended into the space the cancel tab will rest. You do not want to push IN on the tab as this will break it. The extended tab is only meant to be pressed up/down depending on the rotation of the cancel tab on the bottom of the steering wheel.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Super Beetle Horn and Turn Signal Cancel Reply with quote

One thing I noticed on the aftermarket turn signal switches I tried (and could never get to cancel consistently, among other issues) -- a few of the plastic components in the turn signal cancelling mechanism looked to be rather ill-formed and poor/loose fitting, as compared to the corresponding components on the OEM German switch -- ref. photos below.

Aftermarket turn signal switch:

OEM German turn signal switch:

You might want to compare those same details / components on your new WW turn signal switch vs. the original stock one that came with your car. If your new switch looks more like the top photo than the bottom ones, then suspect there's a good chance that you'll never be able to get it to cancel 100% reliably... Sad

Best bet then would probably be to send the photo evidence to WW for a refund, and begin search for a good used or NOS German turn signal switch. More $$$ no doubt, but seems to be the only option nowadays for a turn signal switch that actually works correctly. "Buy once, cry once", and be done with it... Smile

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ST Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Super Beetle Horn and Turn Signal Cancel Reply with quote

baldessariclan wrote:

a good used or NOS German turn signal switch.
"Buy once, cry once", and be done with it... Smile

Except it probably wouldn't be once. How much longer with a 30-50-yr old used switch last? Even NOS, no telling the state of the plastic (due to storage conditions) and plastics are notorious for degrading even with good storage.

Sure it could be good for 10 yrs, but might only last for 6 months.

I'd rather a new, cheaper switch that mostly works.
Or find a fix for the new ones.
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Super Beetle Horn and Turn Signal Cancel Reply with quote

ST Dog wrote:
baldessariclan wrote:

a good used or NOS German turn signal switch.
"Buy once, cry once", and be done with it... Smile

Except it probably wouldn't be once. How much longer with a 30-50-yr old used switch last? Even NOS, no telling the state of the plastic (due to storage conditions) and plastics are notorious for degrading even with good storage.

Sure it could be good for 10 yrs, but might only last for 6 months.

I'd rather a new, cheaper switch that mostly works.
Or find a fix for the new ones.

Ha! True dat... Smile

It's always bit of a crap shoot on condition of old original parts vs. quality of new aftermarket parts. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose...

My own personal "batting average" with the aftermarket stuff has been well under .500 unfortunately, and hence my bias towards original / OEM parts nowadays. But yeah, there's no 100% guarantee on any of this stuff, as you noted above.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ST Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Super Beetle Horn and Turn Signal Cancel Reply with quote

baldessariclan wrote:

My own personal "batting average" with the aftermarket stuff has been well under .500 unfortunately, and hence my bias towards original / OEM parts nowadays.

If it is metal or electrical, sure.

But plastic and rubber? My experiences there are not so good.
Granted new plastic and rubber is a crap shoot too. Just rather take the chance on a cheaper new part than $$$ old stuff.

I'm making seat belt hangers out of aluminum because the new reproductions broke in a few months of light use. And had to get used coat hooks because new stuff doesn't fit right.

But the grommets, bumper and other rubber have been pretty good.
Can't think of more plastic stuff I've bough...
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Super Beetle Horn and Turn Signal Cancel Reply with quote

ST Dog wrote:
I'm making seat belt hangers out of aluminum because the new reproductions broke in a few months of light use.

Hey, I'm a "veteran" of that particular battle as well! Smile Went through a couple sets of the repro seat belt hangers (both of which failed within about 2-3 months, IIRC), before finally ponying up the $$$ for a set of original used ones. Thankfully, those ones have held up fine to date (about 3+ years, so far). But yeah, they're still really old plastic, so never know when they're finally going to let go.

Also suffered through a lot of bad new rubber items from WW (and couple other vendors) about 3 years ago as well -- stuff like fuel hoses and vent lines, headlight and turn signal light wiring conduit tubes, body pads, oil breather nipples, etc., etc. -- all of it was splitting / deteriorating within just few months of installation and use. Ugh... Sad

On the other hand though, have recently been pleasantly surprised with quality and fit of some newer rubber items I've purchased -- e.g. new vent window seals from WW, new windshield seal from Cip1, new flexible brake lines from Airhead parts, etc. Sometimes you win...

I'm also getting a lot better at actively documenting and running down refunds on the substandard / discrepant new stuff as well. Takes more time and effort, but at least don't end up wasting quite as much $$$ as I used to, playing the "new parts roulette" game.

Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Super Beetle Horn and Turn Signal Cancel Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
You have the steering wheel installed 180deg off.

Of course you are correct. With some silicon spray and a little more tweaking I've got the horn ring on the bottom half of the steering wheel and turn signal cancelling working at least +90% of the time I make 90 degree turns. Thanks to everyone for the help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Super Beetle Horn and Turn Signal Cancel Reply with quote

The dimmer function of this switch works flawlessly, every time -- until I put the steering wheel on. Then it doesn't work at all. That said, it doesn't seem like it sticks out in such a way that the steering wheel would press it in. Any ideas?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Super Beetle Horn and Turn Signal Cancel Reply with quote

Longmont1302 wrote:

The dimmer function of this switch works flawlessly, every time -- until I put the steering wheel on. Then it doesn't work at all. That said, it doesn't seem like it sticks out in such a way that the steering wheel would press it in. Any ideas?

The dimmer switch is the simplest of switches as show in your first pic. It is the overlapping brass contacts at the left of the turn signal switch, just above the inner hinge of the turn signal lever. When you pull on the lever you bring the two brass leaves together and close the circuit. One of those brass contacts is connected to a ground wire, the other is the brown/white wire that runs to the S terminal on the dimmer relay. Grounding the S terminal energizes the dimmer relay.

You can see the two brass contacts from the side of the steering wheel.

Look at the contacts and make sure they touch when the lever is pulled. Also make sure the separate when the lever is released.
If needed, bend the brass leaves so they remain apart when at rest.
If needed, sandpaper the contact surfaces so they make a good electrical connection when they touch.
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Super Beetle Horn and Turn Signal Cancel Reply with quote

Thanks, Ashman. What you say makes sense, but the switch works really well. The contacts connect when you press the lever, and they remain apart when at rest. It works perfectly with the volt/ohm meter on the bench, and it works perfectly installed in the car -- UNTIL the steering wheel is added:

Link
[/youtube]

I think the steering wheel is keeping the switch from opening. Anyone run into that? Is there some kind of extra shim between the two I'm missing (besides the cancel ring)?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Super Beetle Horn and Turn Signal Cancel Reply with quote

What do you see? I used to tweak the two contacts with a screwdriver every so often when they would get stuck together. I recall they are visible without taking the steering wheel off. You should be able to see the contacts in the opening in the steering column. Post a pic.

If the steering wheel is too close you need to adjust the position of the steering column housing down to increase the gap between the steering wheel and the column housing.

The other thing you could do is to test the brown/white dimmer relay "S" wire for resistance to ground. Disconnect it and test the relay end of the wire for ground. While the switch is at rest it should show an open circuit (infinite resistance to ground). When you pull on the lever it should be shorted to ground. When you install the steering wheel what do you read at rest and while you pull on the turn signal lever? Open or grounded?
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Super Beetle Horn and Turn Signal Cancel Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, Ashman. I got the volt/ohm meter out, tested the switch again, and it worked fine with the wheel off. I gently screwed the switch back in place, still tested fine. I gently placed the wheel on -- still fine. I tightened the wheel down, still fine. So I put the horn ring back on, and now everything functions properly: dimmer, turn signals, turn signal cancel, and horn.

I'm sorry I'm not more help to the next person trying to troubleshoot similar problems, but I put it back together and it works. I'm happy with the WW switch. Sadly, we're supposed to get 9-15 inches of snow tomorrow, so we might be hibernating for a while.
highwheelerboy22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Super Beetle Horn and Turn Signal Cancel Reply with quote

Very informative thread but i have to ask as a new 1971 type 3 fastback owner - how does the turn signal cancel/horn grounding ring connect to the backside of the steering wheel? I've searched everywhere on here with no luck.
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Super Beetle Horn and Turn Signal Cancel Reply with quote

highwheelerboy22 wrote:
Very informative thread but i have to ask as a new 1971 type 3 fastback owner - how does the turn signal cancel/horn grounding ring connect to the backside of the steering wheel? I've searched everywhere on here with no luck.

The ones I have seen are held on w/ 3 screws, like as shown in the pics below:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: