Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lug nut Woes/ Question
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
65Bugsmasher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:35 pm    Post subject: Lug nut Woes/ Question Reply with quote

Hello All,

I attempted to search for a long time and could not come up with anything definitive..

I am trying to figure out if the lug nuts I have will work for what I need and am seeking the input/ advice of others that may know or have experience.

Background: I just installed a disc brake kit on the front of my lowered double cab. I am running Empi Raider wheels (15x5- bolt pattern 5x205). Per the wheel spec, it calls for 60 degree conical seat lug nuts/ bolts. On the rear I am running type 3 drum brakes with 12mm wheel bolts (no issues).

I purchased 14x1.5mm lug nuts (60 degree seat) for the front hubs (pressed stud requiring lug nut rather than bolt). Empi part 70-2872-0 https://www.jbugs.com/product/70-2872.html

Problem: The 14x1.5mm lug nut does not seat as nicely as the rears. For reference, the 60 degree seat almost looks too large for the area where the nut goes, and appears to not seat all the way down visually. I am able to tighten it down and torque it with zero issues (not bottoming out, etc). I just want to ensure these lug nuts I purchased will be able to be ran without the worry of being incorrect, backing out, etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Lug nut Woes/ Question Reply with quote

14mm stud is much larger diameter than a 12mm stud so that would effect the contract area on the lug nut.

I would mark the lug nut with a sharpie or something and see where the contact circle area is when torqued to spec. You do not want it too low on the nut due to the larger diameter 14mm stud.

I would not run it until you figure it out for safety reasons.
65Bugsmasher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Lug nut Woes/ Question Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
14mm stud is much larger diameter than a 12mm stud so that would effect the contract area on the lug nut.

I would mark the lug nut with a sharpie or something and see where the contact circle area is when torqued to spec. You do not want it too low on the nut due to the larger diameter 14mm stud.

I would not run it until you figure it out for safety reasons.

Had a chance and included pictures below for reference. I torqued them down, and they did not seem to bottom out. Any help is appreciated!

The packaging indicated 60 degree nut
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The lug nut in question torqued down on the wheel. Notice it not down in all the way.

The 12mm lug bolt in the rear. Notice it seated in the hole all the way.

The 24mm lug nut with seat marking from wheel

The 14mm lug bolt vs 14mm lug nut with seat markings

Are they good to run? Never ran into this issues before...
If not, anyone have recommendations on 14x1.5mm lug nut for the front that look like the rear? Thanks!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Lug nut Woes/ Question Reply with quote

These wheel?
https://www.jbugs.com/product/9752-4.html
"requires 60 degree conical seat lug nuts or lug bolts which can be added above."

I suggest calling the vendor to verify you have the right lug nuts: 800-231-1784

You'd think they would put a link to the correct ones on the wheel web page Rolling Eyes

BTW, the link for the lug nuts you supplied is for (4), but you have 205x5 wheels. Makes me question why they sell 4 when the wheel needs 5. Maybe the wrong ones.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
65Bugsmasher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Lug nut Woes/ Question Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
These wheel?
https://www.jbugs.com/product/9752-4.html
"requires 60 degree conical seat lug nuts or lug bolts which can be added above."

I suggest calling the vendor to verify you have the right lug nuts: 800-231-1784

You'd think they would put a link to the correct ones on the wheel web page Rolling Eyes

BTW, the link for the lug nuts you supplied is for (4), but you have 205x5 wheels. Makes me question why they sell 4 when the wheel needs 5. Maybe the wrong ones.

That's the wheel I have. They are sold in 4 for some odd reason. I assume it's a way for them to get more money. That's a good idea about calling them tomorrow to verify. I was wondering based on looks or if anyone ran into similar issues/ experiences.
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Lug nut Woes/ Question Reply with quote

Not too sure about more $$ but :

The #4 standardizes their packaging.

Both 20 & 16 are divisible by 4.
They are in the business of selling, just depends on how many packs a customer needs to do all their car.

Crafty buggers ... stay safe

jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Lug nut Woes/ Question Reply with quote

jinx758 wrote:
The #4 standardizes their packaging.

Both 20 & 16 are divisible by 4.
jinx

What if you only need them for 1 or 2 wheels?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Lug nut Woes/ Question Reply with quote

Hence the crafty reference. 😉

They sell, we buy.
The more they move, better for them.
About all we can do is shop around for price or meet their minimums for "bulk rate" shipping.

Best regards ... stay safe

jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
65Bugsmasher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Lug nut Woes/ Question Reply with quote

An update on the lug nut situation. I called two companies today (Jbugs and CIP1). Both representatives gave me different answers about lug nuts for the raider wheels Shocked

Jbugs: informed me when using raider wheels, they recommend Empi lug part 9519 https://www.jbugs.com/product/9519.html. When asking about the initial lug in this post, the sales rep said he was not sure.

CIP1: informed me that when using raider wheels, the initial lug nut posted (Empi 70-2872) would work. CIP1 does not even sell part 9519.

So with mixed answers, I am still left wondering what is correct. Both Empi lug nuts are listed as 60 degree seat. The raider wheel per description says it requires a 60 degree conical lug bolt/ lug nut. The pondering continues...
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Lug nut Woes/ Question Reply with quote

Apply some whiteout on the seating surface of the lug nuts. Torque the nuts to spec, take it for a drive around the block and then remove the nuts and inspect the wear marks to see if they are fully seating.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
65Bugsmasher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Lug nut Woes/ Question Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Apply some whiteout on the seating surface of the lug nuts. Torque the nuts to spec, take it for a drive around the block and then remove the nuts and inspect the wear marks to see if they are fully seating.

I included pictures in the initial post showing how the lug nut seats against the wheel (wheel picture and picture of marking on lug nuts).

I can try the white out methodology and post a picture as well.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Lug nut Woes/ Question Reply with quote

I'd say that's not good... minimal contact.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Lug nut Woes/ Question Reply with quote

Pull one of the wheels with the lug nuts and place it on the wheel unmounted on the car and see where the lug nut ends up. If it is the same as when it is torqued then that is the way it is with the 14mm lug nuts.

I tried to explain earlier that the 12mm lug bolt you have uses the 12mm thread to the 60mm taper gets smaller until it hits the 12mm thread portion whereas the 14mm lug nuts you are using the taper will be wider since it is based on a 14mm hole.
65Bugsmasher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Lug nut Woes/ Question Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Pull one of the wheels with the lug nuts and place it on the wheel unmounted on the car and see where the lug nut ends up. If it is the same as when it is torqued then that is the way it is with the 14mm lug nuts.

I tried to explain earlier that the 12mm lug bolt you have uses the 12mm thread to the 60mm taper gets smaller until it hits the 12mm thread portion whereas the 14mm lug nuts you are using the taper will be wider since it is based on a 14mm hole.

Pulled the wheel off and the seat is the same off the car.

Makes total sense with the taper being wider having a different contact area.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: