Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headlight buzzer
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dangermouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:11 pm    Post subject: Headlight buzzer Reply with quote

As we swing around into autumn in this part of the world the evenings are starting to get a little darker and I put the headlights on yesterday evening for the first time in a while. Of course I promptly forgot and they were left on for a couple of hours while parked (but thankfully the car started right up for me).

Since clearly I can't rely on my brain, maybe it's time to install a buzzer connected to the cabin light switch or similar as a 'you left the headlights on again you dope' alert. I'm sure this has been done a million times but if anyone can direct me to a post describing how it's been done (or maybe there's even a plug & play product out there by now) that would be super Smile

I did search but nothing obvious popped up. 6V electricals if that's relevant.
Thanks peeps!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight buzzer Reply with quote

Taking a cue from VW's solution with a buzzer if you leave your key in the ignition:

Splice in a wire to your driver door switch for the interior light (the terminal that grounds when the door is open. Run that wire to a buzzer; the other buzzer terminal goes to the headlight switch such that it gets power when the lights are switched on.

Mount the buzzer on the underside of the dash. Use grommets for any metal penetrations, and add an inline fuse to the headlight side.

So the buzzer sounds when you leave the lights on and open the door to get out.

https://www.amazon.com/Buzzer-Buzzer3-24V-Electronic-Continuous-Length/dp/B0CL465GBK

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Lots of threads with ideas and suggestions:
https://www.google.com/search?q=thesamba.com+headl...p;ie=UTF-8
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight buzzer Reply with quote

Lite-Minder!

I've done this on my older cars for years. They used to sell a Lite Minder kit that IMO is better than that piezo buzzer piece of crap shown above. I know it's crap because I installed one such in my 83 Camry only to have it die and had to replace it. But I have Minders in my bugs, and the last time I checked, they still work fine. (That was a 12V kit though, so a multi-voltage piezo might be the only way to go on 6V)

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight buzzer Reply with quote

The ENGINE SAVER PLUS activates an audible alarm with low oil pressure, low oil level *, generator or alternator failure and headlights or parking lights left on. The original oil pressure sensor switch is used in conjunction with the dashboard lights, allowing the driver to tell which failure has occurred after hearing the audible alarm.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight buzzer Reply with quote

simply develop the habit of always looking back at your car after parking up (pipe smoking old duffer emoji)

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight buzzer Reply with quote

Use a relay and any buzzer (or a light). Use the Oil Pressure Switch wire and the headlight wire that becomes hot when the lights are on. Wire it up per below.

As a bonus, the buzzer will also sound if your oil pressure dies when the lights are on with the car running. When the car is not running, of course you have no oil pressure, and the buzzer will sound when the headlights are left on.

86 – Trigger -> Headlight switch that is hot when lights are on
30 – Power -> Headlight switch that is hot when lights are on
85 – Ground –> Oil Pressure Switch
87 - Normally Open –> Not connected
87a - Normally Closed -> Buzzer (+)
Chassis Ground -> Buzzer (-)
Costa66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight buzzer Reply with quote

Did this with a tiny little peizo buzzer like several have mentioned back in high school. What a life saver!

Josh
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight buzzer Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Lite-Minder!

Yeah, I installed Lite Minder, but believe these are no longer sold as such.

I did buy a buzzer from Radio Shack and installed that similarly in one of my vehicles, this should work for 6V too
https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-HYD-2312-Passive-Ele...amp;sr=8-1

The first night I took one gal to a movie, it was twilight when we got there and when we returned 2.5 hours later, my 1970 VW's headlights were still blazing; I told her to get in, it would start right up, and it did. So she didn't have to help push, and 1.5 years later I married her. And I still have that 1970, 53.5 years with it now (I'm the second owner).
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight buzzer Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
53.5 years with it now (I'm the second owner).

The car or the girl?

Wink
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight buzzer Reply with quote

Some folks actually remove such buzzers do to the annoyance.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight buzzer Reply with quote

zerotofifty wrote:
Some folks actually remove such buzzers do to the annoyance.

Yes, I removed the ignition key buzzer from my dad's '71 Fastback due to the annoyance, and repurposed the fusebox/relay box position for a fog lamp relay.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight buzzer Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Cusser wrote:
53.5 years with it now (I'm the second owner).

The car or the girl?

Wink

39 years with the gal !!! Brought our oldest home from the hospital in that 1970 VW. And our youngest is getting married next week.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: