Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

front windshield logos, which logo for which year?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveM
Mad Samba Scientist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: front windshield logos, which logo for which year? Reply with quote

Can anyone outline what logo should be on the front windshield? I'm searching for correct glass for my 64 bug and want to know what to look for.
Seb67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: front windshield logos, which logo for which year? Reply with quote

DaveM wrote:
Can anyone outline what logo should be on the front windshield? I'm searching for correct glass for my 64 bug and want to know what to look for.

I have a '64 - I'll try to post some pics of my windshield (which is OG) tomorrow.
Seb67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay here is a pic. of my '64 front windshield. It is original to the car. I have another one that is closer but for some reason, it's off by 90 degrees. If you need a closer version, let me know.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DaveM
Mad Samba Scientist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I use that picture in my wanted ad????
Seb67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveM wrote:
Can I use that picture in my wanted ad????

Be my guest.
DanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reminding me I need an o.g. windshield for my bug Dave!

I have a '61 model year bug produced in 8.60... Anybody know what is correct for it? Here is a pic of the logo on my rear window. Not sure if the windows are original to the car as it's been restored. All but the vent windows (and generic windshield) are Sekurit Duro Glas.

thx in advance

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: front windshield logos, which logo for which year? Reply with quote

So, I opened this old thread instead of starting a new one. I'm looking for a new windshield because the one in my '62 bug doesn't have the alum. trim around the rubber and I want to have a spare in case I break re-installing.
Anyway, while looking on line there are windshields for sale but they are tempered glass instead of laminated. What's up with this ? Is this normal for vw front glass ? Another place I looked the ad says "front, sedan, clear, 5 pack". 5 pack ? I don't get that. Plus the shipping was way out there. Then I saw something locally but the guy only knew the parts he had were from the '60s.
Question is there a way to tell the difference between an earlier windshield like a 1962 and a 1965 and up. ? Such as markings or the size
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: front windshield logos, which logo for which year? Reply with quote

Pre ‘65 is a small windshield, in ‘65 they got bigger.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: front windshield logos, which logo for which year? Reply with quote

I am aware of that. Thanks. I thought the guy on craigslist had a front windshield but it turns out I read the ad wrong. Anyway what about the tempered glass question, that doesn't sound right. I thought the front windshield was designed to pop out in a front collision. I guess I'll just have to be extra careful installing the glass.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Slow-N-Rusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: front windshield logos, which logo for which year? Reply with quote

I wouldn't install a tempered glass windshield. First time a rock hits it just right it will shatter it and all the pieces will end up in your face and lap.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: front windshield logos, which logo for which year? Reply with quote

I have a 65 1200"A" Type 111 Custom. (Custom model is a subset model of the old standard model but still a 111) I've owned the car over 56 years and knew the original owner who told me, the car came with tempered glass, but when the car was shipped here from Germany the car got stuck in U.S. Customs at the port and wasn't released until a VW laminate glass windshield (among other things) was installed.
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: front windshield logos, which logo for which year? Reply with quote

Plenty of links about laminated vs tempered glass here:

https://www.google.com/search?as_q=automotive+lami...=&tbs=

Like Slow-N-Rusty said, a tempered glass windshield will shatter on impact rather than just crack like laminate. If multiple pieces of debris are hurling toward a tempered glass windshield, it will only offer some protection from the first impact ... after that anything else will just come flying through the gaping hole where the windshield used to be. Laminate will shield against multiple impacts. Tempered is used on side and rear glass because it will shatter on impact ... which is helpful if one needs to exit the vehicle rapidly in an emergency.

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: