Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Blowing rear brake light/turn signal fuse
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LBCertified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:30 pm    Post subject: Blowing rear brake light/turn signal fuse Reply with quote

I have a 1961 beetle, I had to to put new fenders on the rear. After doing so my brake light fuse/turn signal fuse keeps blowing. I replaced the bulb holders because they were in bad shape. I have the snowflake tail lights. The running lights work with no issues. I double checked several times to make sure the connections were correct. I tried troubleshooting from other articles on the samba. Nothing has worked. I literally had no issues with these lights in the past. I believe these type of lights are grounded by the housing. Should I run a ground wire from the bulb holder to the fender separately? Please help.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Blowing rear brake light/turn signal fuse Reply with quote

It's a good idea to scrape paint from the fender where the screw/washer fit against it to get a better ground. Probably not your problem, though.

It's more likely that the "hot" wire is grounding out somewhere it shouldn't. Bulb holders are notorious for this. Also, it may not short without a bulb, but when you add the bulb, the flexible terminal sits slightly proud and shorts.

Try removing the bulbs. If that stops it, add one bulb (one side) at a time and see what blows a fuse.

Any chance there is an improper mix of single/dual filament bulbs and sockets?
LBCertified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Blowing rear brake light/turn signal fuse Reply with quote

I am using the 1157 dual filament bulb. They only go in the holder one way.
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Blowing rear brake light/turn signal fuse Reply with quote

LBCertified wrote:
I am using the 1157 dual filament bulb. They only go in the holder one way.

Oh, You'd be surprised! Embarassed

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Blowing rear brake light/turn signal fuse Reply with quote

Wire a headlight in place of the fuse with a jump wire, kind of a variable fuse. Isolate the offending circuit from the fuse back making connections as you go. When that headlight glows, there’s your trouble. Color highlighted isolated circuits are available right here in the technical section.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: