Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

82 rabbit onto an 02 Audi TT body swap
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thebaneofshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:42 pm    Post subject: 82 rabbit onto an 02 Audi TT body swap Reply with quote

I’m in the process of taking my new to me 1982 Volkswagen rabbit and swapping its body onto a 2002 Audi TT 1.8t 180 Quattro I bought wrecked with only 50k miles on it that I’ve already got running again. I figure I’d try to share my progress after EverettB suggested others might like to see it. After some measurements the wheelbase of the rabbit is only about 1 inch shorter than the Audi and about 5 inches more narrow. The 5 inches definitely means a big widebody but the 1 inch in length had me thinking it might be a doable swap. I had originally intended to basically move over the drivetrain to the rabbit but as I had basically no rabbit parts I wanted to use I decided to just cut the rabbit along the seam weld in the door jamb up along the firewall and from strut to strut. Essentially peeling the skin off of the rabbit to put it bluntly. I’ll do about the same to the Audi though with more difficulty. Interior wise it seems the entire width of it is almost the same between both though from seam weld to seam across is notably wider. I’ve decided to cut the Audi wider and place it slightly under the rabbits cut and and keep cutting until I have a nice fit. This way I will have the full Audi interior dash included, the drivetrain moves over with it so no special fuel cell or anything to fit driveshaft, plus will have the full suspension of the Audi. I am slightly disheartened I won’t be able to keep the rabbits stock steering. But power steering is ok too. If anyone has done anything similar feel free to pop in an do give me advice. My biggest issue I foresee is matching up the firewalls. I hope to show you guys my progress along the way and I’ll try to post pictures as I go though I’ll admit I’m terrible about doing so. -Willem

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: