Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with head ID
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cabinfourus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:00 pm    Post subject: Help with head ID Reply with quote

I am rebuilding some heads and need some help with the identification of the heads. The casting numbers on both heads are 022.101.372. There are no letters at the end of the numbers.

I am pretty sure these are the 1700cc Porsche heads, but I want a second and third opinion.

I need to replace the valve guides and want to make sure I order the correct ones. Do these heads use any valve guides? I see some listed on eBay for the Porsche 1700.

Also, is there a difference between the bus head and the Porsche heads?

Thanks for the help Very Happy
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with head ID Reply with quote

cabinfourus wrote:
I am rebuilding some heads and need some help with the identification of the heads. The casting numbers on both heads are 022.101.372. There are no letters at the end of the numbers.

I am pretty sure these are the 1700cc Porsche heads, but I want a second and third opinion.

I need to replace the valve guides and want to make sure I order the correct ones. Do these heads use any valve guides? I see some listed on eBay for the Porsche 1700.

Also, is there a difference between the bus head and the Porsche heads?

Thanks for the help Very Happy

The 411/412 heads and early bus heads and 914 heads are the exact same casting and valve size. There are no differences.

However, there are very slight differences in quality from letter number to letter number. None that shoudl give you any pause.

The real key first is to but your new valves. Ideally, at this tage in the game all type 4 based engines above 100k miles ....especially if you do not know the history...should have the valve seats replaced.

Have your valve stems measured and a good type 4 fluent head shop inspect and measure the valve guides. It is not typically valve guide wear that requires guide replacement. Its the fact that heat cycling makes them loose in their bores.

So if there is any wear at all, typically just pulling out the old guides makes the holes they were in too loose. So you need first oversized guides.

Automobile atlanta sells some. But if your head builder says you need something slightly larger then you need custom guides. About 50% need custom oversized guides and they are not really any more expensive.

The correct interference fit is key. I have it written down somehwreand I will check tonight but its ~0.002" at about 220*...do not quote me on that until I check. The numbers i have were goven to me by Len at Ham INC. he knows better than anyone.

If you need custom oversized the guys at SI valves can set you up easy. I will get all of the info in the am. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with head ID Reply with quote

yup 1700 heads
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: