Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What affects to consider when selecting rear wheel width?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LatheLizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:20 pm    Post subject: What affects to consider when selecting rear wheel width? Reply with quote

Hey people, I'm building a classic vw sand rail (2276 stroker) and trying to select an aluminum rear wheel to run 1300 paddlatracs. My main question is that on their site it suggests 12"-15" wide wheels. I'm just making a guess here, but a wider wheel should allow lower tire pressure gaining floatation. Would yall agree with that? Any other pro's /cons to consider / tips would be helpful, so thanks in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What affects to consider when selecting rear wheel width? Reply with quote

I tend to error on the narrower side. The wider the wheel, the less side wall protection it has.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
DHale_510
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: What affects to consider when selecting rear wheel width? Reply with quote

The narrow wheel allows more tire spin, important with a smaller motor, and probably better hill climbing.
The wider wheel gives more flotation, more side hill stability and better forward launch [and wheelies].
I had 1.5 paddles, 1800cc and 900# buggy and the smaller wheels worked much better for me.
Dennis
Stinky123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: What affects to consider when selecting rear wheel width? Reply with quote

The wider the wheel the higher psi you'll have to run. The wider the wheel, it is MORE likely to un.seat a bead as the tire is stretched out.

Assuming that they will all fit your frame, you want as much off.set that you can buy. You dont want them to rub when you bounce hard.

W.13" paddles, you can run a 8"-14" rim. Where are you going to run it? What is the sand like there? W.that much motor, float is not that important cuz you'll have lots of spin/thrust.

You don't want any narrower than 10" and wider than 12". WIde wheels bring issues...trailer fit, leverage on the axle/mounting, Bearing wear.

On a Swing.axle, a wider wheel softens your suspension (more leverage on the end of the axle). I learned this w.a Pinto motor (heavy).

Just run 10s.
LatheLizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What affects to consider when selecting rear wheel width? Reply with quote

Thank you very much guys. I had it reversed in my mind (less likely to blow bead) but now it makes sense to me. Killpecker dunes in Wyoming. I think I’m going with 10’s. I appreciate y’all’s time
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: