Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

369 cylinder heads
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:03 pm    Post subject: 369 cylinder heads Reply with quote

I'm looking on info or pictures of the porsche 369 heads and also are all pre A heads the same what the differences between the 369
Heads besides bore size crank size ... are the valves at a differnt angle than the 506,528,546,527..reason I'm asking is i am looking to have a 1100cc 369 build but looking to see if I could use any pre A heads that I listed above to build a 1100cc stefi g who makes preA repop heads said I could not use those heads to build a 1100cc even after I told him I was gonna use custom cylinders / welding done to them ...so what makes a 369 head differnt....
TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 369 cylinder heads Reply with quote

My limited understanding of the 356 heads says that the Porsche pre-A head has the semi-hemi exhaust valves and valve cover, but same head stud pattern as a 36hp VW. Porsche 356A and newer use the wider 356 stud pattern, and different rocker stands (because of the different head stud pattern. I know guy who fitted a pair of pre A heads onto a 36hp vw. It's my understanding (from some reading I've done) that Porsche had heads and rocker arms, but couldn't get the rest of his own engine developed in time to sell some cars. I'm sure needing cash flow, he contracted with VW to supply engine bottom ends. Pre A engine cases where nothing more than VW 36hp engines that were more carefully align bored .010" oversized, maybe some other carefully performed blueprinting tricks more befitting of a hand built sportscar over an economy production "people's car". Porsche called that oversized/accurized align bore of +.010" their "standard case main bearing", which gets confusing when ordering $400 main bearings.

Making a reproduction head, it's easy to imagine changing stud pattern from post A, to pre A. StefG would be a good place to find the answer
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 369 cylinder heads Reply with quote

TomSimon wrote:
My limited understanding of the 356 heads says that the Porsche pre-A head has the semi-hemi exhaust valves and valve cover, but same head stud pattern as a 36hp VW. Porsche 356A and newer use the wider 356 stud pattern, and different rocker stands (because of the different head stud pattern. I know guy who fitted a pair of pre A heads onto a 36hp vw. It's my understanding (from some reading I've done) that Porsche had heads and rocker arms, but couldn't get the rest of his own engine developed in time to sell some cars. I'm sure needing cash flow, he contracted with VW to supply engine bottom ends. Pre A engine cases where nothing more than VW 36hp engines that were more carefully align bored .010" oversized, maybe some other carefully performed blueprinting tricks more befitting of a hand built sportscar over an economy production "people's car". Porsche called that oversized/accurized align bore of +.010" their "standard case main bearing", which gets confusing when ordering $400 main bearings.

Making a reproduction head, it's easy to imagine changing stud pattern from post A, to pre A. StefG would be a good place to find the answer

My plan was to use those new porsche 356 preA heads that are sold here on thesamba classified add those have the 80mm bore 38x31 valves and have them welded for the smaller 73.5 or may 75mmm bore /cylinders ..I know that the porsche 369 1100cc used 38x31 valves aswell so I thought I could just weld them which I know I could but I've seen some 356 1100cc heads and it looks to me maybe my eyes are/ were playing with me but it looks like the exhaust valve is a little closer to the intake to fix those valves ..but I'm not sure of that could just be my eyes ....was looking on info so I could get started if or when I'm ready too...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: